Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
themagician

Joker's Jinx Stops Midcourse

11 posts in this topic

Twenty-four people are stuck on the Joker's Jinx at Six Flags America, with a special rescue team on scene.

Riders are stuck about 100 feet in the air, and authorities said the coaster is at about a 30-degree angle. None of them are in distress, and they're just being urged to remain calm.  Firefighters, EMTs and a high-angle rescue team were at the scene, an estimated 75 rescuers in all, along with staff from Six Flags America. 

IMG_7505.JPG.031cea7b0b1e460a7e8db31c3ac530cc.JPG

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/248441128-story

This ride literally is so slow so I'm not surprised. 

Still one of my favourite coaster designs but definitely a flaw in the design of the launch.

I don't know how feasible it would be but perhaps some sort of speed check prior to entering the first inversion and a braking system could potentially avoid this happening again.

For example: Coaster train needs to achieve X km/h to safely run the course. After launch speed is checked and if X km/h is not achieved a braking system engages to stop the train from entering the first inversion and runs the train backwards onto the launch straight i.e. a rollback

5 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

I don't know how feasible it would be but perhaps some sort of speed check prior to entering the first inversion and a braking system could potentially avoid this happening again.

As an enthusiast getting stuck on a ride is a great adventure.

2 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

As an enthusiast getting stuck on a ride is a great adventure.

Oh I agree. I once got stuck on The Mummy at Universal for 2 hours, was probably one of the best experiences ever at a theme park but for some people this would not be a great experience.

58 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

Still one of my favourite coaster designs but definitely a flaw in the design of the launch.

For example: Coaster train needs to achieve X km/h to safely run the course. After launch speed is checked and if X km/h is not achieved a braking system engages to stop the train from entering the first inversion and runs the train backwards onto the launch straight i.e. a rollback

I thought all launch coasters had these sensors along the whole launch? Unless thats newer ones maybe, I just see a lot of sensors along launch parts of tracks.

many launches have sensors to track the location of the train, but i think what @DJKostya is saying is to program the ride so if the minimum required speed to get through the course isn't achieved, then it aborts the launch, in such a way as to force a rollback, as opposed to a mid-course stall.

45 minutes ago, AlexB said:

many launches have sensors to track the location of the train, but i think what @DJKostya is saying is to program the ride so if the minimum required speed to get through the course isn't achieved, then it aborts the launch, in such a way as to force a rollback, as opposed to a mid-course stall.

It does make a lot of sense and I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one manufacturer that doesn't do this already.