The Giant Drop Refurbishment 2022

16 minutes ago, themagician said:

These holes in the wall are new. Do people think they’re just openings to allow for air flow within the queue? Or something more?

it doesn’t look like they’re holes when you look close, it looks like something attached onto the outside wall. The inside already has cool AC so i doubt they’d open it up

17 minutes ago, Slick said:

isn't painting a lot of tin and steel black kinda bad from a heat perspective?

Technically yes, but practically, no.

Heat transfers through radiation and convection. Black or dark coloured objects are going to absorb more heat and therefore radiate more heat than polished or lighter colours, but most heat transfer is through convection so the practical differences aren't too far apart. 

You could definitely measure the differences in a lab, but if you walk into an unventilated steel box painted white or black on a 40 degree day, the assessment is 'its f**king hot' regardless of what colour it is.

I tell you, it sure is a good thing they have air conditioners.

• Like 1

White coloured buildings definitely require less cooling.

but most heat transfer is through convection so the practical differences aren't too far apart

Yes, but if the roof is less hot in the first place, there is less heat to convect into the habitable space.

Edited by Gazza

43 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Technically yes, but practically, no.

Practically yes it can cause heat issue.

You also have to take in heat reflection.  SRI which is the ability to reflect heat is massive.  

100 = 100% reflection.  0 = no reflection.

White shed SRI 88

Black shed SRI -1                 (it's taking all the heat in and more)

You are right.  Put aircon in and DW can paint it whatever they want.

If DW don't put aircon in, you are going to have to carry a second pair of jocks with you or in my case, a third.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Practically yes it can cause heat issue.

You also have to take in heat reflection.  SRI which is the ability to reflect heat is massive.  

100 = 100% reflection.  0 = no reflection.

White shed SRI 88

Black shed SRI -1                 (it's taking all the heat in and more)

You are right.  Put aircon in and DW can paint it whatever they want.

If DW don't put aircon in, you are going to have to carry a second pair of jocks with you or in my case, a third.

Thanks for the replies folks. I guess it was more the idea that I assumed the reason why the plant room at the top was white was to reduce heat and subsequent wear and tear on Giant Drop equipment. 

Interesting point. 

I'd make the uneducated assumption that the winch drives would have operating ranges that would allow for the heat generated from operations that would far exceed ambient. 

In that regard though... being that far up delivers some pretty awesome airflow!

5 minutes ago, andrewt92 said:

It would be if you were living in there... 

FYI a few degrees difference in standard operating temperatures can affect performance and wear and tear of heavy machinery over time, which is what I was curious about. It’s a tin drum in the sky that has direct sun hitting it most hours of the day. Anyway it looks cool right? 🤷🏼‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Slick said:

FYI a few degrees difference in standard operating temperatures can affect performance and wear and tear of heavy machinery over time, which is what I was curious about. It’s a tin drum in the sky that has direct sun hitting it most hours of the day. Anyway it looks cool right? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I wonder how much time it's got left anyway? These Intamin drop towers are slowly being retired around the world. Anyone getting TOTII limited time refurb vibes?