Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

21 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Just FYI, the $10-$15 million does not include the coaster's or theming. This is just the construction costs themselves

So like just the labour costs? Excluding materials and the coaster’s manufacturing costs.

Construction costs usually includes the design ontop of the actual physical construction. This includes engineering services costs like electrical, mechanical, fire and plumbing, landscaping, civil etc design as well as supervision during construction to ensure that all work is being done correctly, then you have the builder and labour costs associated with getting the work done. Then ontop of this you will have a coaster manufacturers costs and fees for their time during the whole project.

Just had a look through the documents, and will say my thoughts.

Firstly, it seems construction will start soon which is good. I am guessing it will begin after the school holidays with the coaster track/supports moved onsite from Paradise Country eventually. Based on the construction start, I would guess WoO would open before Rivertown due to construction starting earlier and the area being less complex/using many elements from LW/Arkham.

Next, one of the sentences says "Pre-Ride Experience Building Refurbishment" which got me wondering. Maybe there could be a pre-show inside the green castle/white castle (Arkham station/theatre building respectively) which would be great instead of inside the station. If there is pre-shows however, I hope there is an option to skip the pre-show and go straight to the coasters so it isn't like Lethal Weapon where you had to watch the 5-minute preshow.

Based on that, specifically "building refurbishment" I would say most of the buildings currently in the area will not be demolished and instead reused, even know the Arkham building especially looks like a different building in the concept art.

It also says the theming elements will be done by Pico Play, the company that did Steel Taipan/Sky Voyager at Dreamworld and TNT/Project Zero at Gumbuya. My initial thoughts with the concept art were that the area looked similar to Super Nintendo World with the theming and elements, but my guess is because some inspiration was took from it as SNW in Japan was also done by Pico.

Overall I am excited to see what comes with this and Rivertown and cant wait to come and see the finished product. 

Edited by TBoy

12 hours ago, TBoy said:

Based on that, specifically "building refurbishment" I would say most of the buildings currently in the area will not be demolished and instead reused, even know the Arkham building especially looks like a different building in the concept art.

The concept artwork kind of gave that away as it looked similar to lethal weapon/arkham in layout. Most of the buildings in that lethal weapon courtyard area will be kept (such as the petrol station entrance & theatre pre show building which will get the emerald city facade).

If they weren't being reused they would have been ripped down along with the coaster, a number of the buildings will get new facades. I think the pre-show won't be like lethal weapon where there is a film, I suspect it would be more of a photo op as the queues for the coasters look to be outside that building.

Edited by Baconjack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Rivals said:

Concept art for the archway into the Wizard of Oz area as well as the area’s logo have been added onto construction fencing next to Superman’s breakrun

I am guessing thats where the old Arkham area entrance was (next to the ride entrance) seemingly confirming that the area will not be blocked off. Hopefully there will be an entrance from both Superman and Scooby without having to go through the Superman plaza.

8 hours ago, Ogre said:

I hope they also bring back the old Chinatown route.

The area is now used as back of house for many different departments so i highly doubt that alleyway would be used again, however the alley next to Scooby seems like it will be a permanent alternative entry so that will help the parks flow immensely.

I think there will definitely be at least 2 paths into the area.  It would be odd to have a bunch of attractions down a dead end path.  Plus it would be another reason to go further into the park and not get so congested in the front area. Which is happening a bit right now with log ride and dooms day having all sorts of trouble and scooby being closed.  

There actually appears to be a little more space reclaimed than just the footprint of Arkham. Looks like they cleared everything right up to the old commissary building and across to the road. There was a bit of a grassy hill there before and some parking/storage. 

On 15/07/2023 at 10:19 AM, Rivals said:

The area is now used as back of house for many different departments so i highly doubt that alleyway would be used again

Just because the park made stupid short sighted decisions out of convenience (see also: LTRR show building storage), doesn't mean it can't go back to the way it used to be - which gave much better guest flow around the park.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Just because the park made stupid short sighted decisions out of convenience (see also: LTRR show building storage), doesn't mean it can't go back to the way it used to be - which gave much better guest flow around the park.

the departments need space to make the park operate smoothly, sure it’s great guest flow but you also have the Scooby doo alley. I think it would be great if that entry reopened with WoO but i highly doubt it.

16 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I think it would be great if that entry reopened with WoO but i highly doubt it.

If it doesn’t then I guess it means the Superman plaza will become very busy, with it becoming mandatory to pass through to ride Superman, WoO and Flash (presumably the exit will go to Superman plaza)

11 minutes ago, TBoy said:

If it doesn’t then I guess it means the Superman plaza will become very busy, with it becoming mandatory to pass through to ride Superman, WoO and Flash (presumably the exit will go to Superman plaza)

the Scooby doo alley will be permanently opened to accompany WoO, as it will be another entry/exit for the land which will help crowd flow.

7 minutes ago, Rivals said:

the Scooby doo alley will be permanently opened to accompany WoO, as it will be another entry/exit for the land which will help crowd flow.

Oh I thought you meant the Scooby alley was highly unlikely, not the Chinatown one.

My guess is both entries will be open majority of the time, with people forced to go through Scooby when Superman is down (assuming Flash will go down at the same time and the plaza closed off entirely)

Edited by TBoy

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if WOO gets a third entrance from WWF too (through the gate next to Boot Hill/the smoking area that’s currently only opened for FN). The original concept image shows a path that appears to lead down that way.