Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/2/2024 at 10:59 AM, Tricoart said:

With Superman and Batwing closed, the best way to view the construction site is now to turn around on DCR’s lift (or, if you’re not able to, ride it backwards). Doing so, I can (obviously without photos) confirm the SFC has it’s dark grey supports for the turnaround closest to Arkham’s facade installed, and 1 section of track is onsite.

Mostly complete, and track installation has begun for the boomerang (orange side has 1/2 pieces installed). Said it about the SFC, but this time I’d be very surprised if there was an angle for this to be seen aside from on DCR. Will try later, however.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

Is it just me or based on the construction, could WoO open before Rivertown? Rivertown hasn't gone vertical yet while the track for FotWW is done and almost done for KT. Also testing would take longer for Jungle Rush as you have a brand-new element never seen on any coaster, so you would need to get that done right while the WoO coasters are models that have been done multiple times.

Imagine if WoO opened in the summer but Rivertown didn't. I guess that would put the "Dreamworld fast Village slow" people to bed.

Edited by TBoy

Also, Movie World has 3 coasters to commission post-theming & the like are completed, when they currently can’t do basic maintenance on one within less than a 2 month timeframe. The last coaster they commissioned took literal years to complete. They’ve had a new coaster SBNO since the start of the year, with vertical construction taking about week or 2 & theming taking 3+ months. If it opens sooner, that’s that, but them completing vertical construction on the coasters themselves before Dreamworld has for their coaster doesn’t guarantee either outcome. Even if they’re completely able to open before Christmas holidays, it’s likely they’d hold off on opening til then nonetheless (though, hopefully, this time they’ve learned from Levi & soft-open at least a couple weeks before the official opening day).

Edited by Tricoart

Just to give some perspective, according to Nearmap,

• the WOZ site was blank canvas on 17 September.
  • Footers were either poured or in progress on 13 November.
  • By reports here, the coasters were completed around 22 March.

So all in all, we've got between 4 & 6 months for construction, though this doesn't take into account a likely ~1 month shutdown over christmas.

By comparison, Dreamworld:

• JR site was effectively 'blank canvas' on 28 December
  • Footers \ slab went in \ in progress around 14 March
  • Assuming the 1 month christmas shutdown, potentially we see JR completed by June.
  • We already know much of the theme works have been completed off-site
  • The building structure isn't likely to be tilt panel so it'll be a tin shed that goes up in less than a week.

I think its fair to say JR can come together pretty quickly once constructed. The major factor for JR is going to be whether the prototype switch track element works as intended.

I think it's highly likely both attractions open by Christmas. Earlier opens would be good but Christmas is usually the target for these major attractions.

I think Village has a lot more to build after the coasters, based on some of the concepts they've released, so no doubt they need more time to do that, hence why they've finished the coasters earlier...

I think these days most english speakers would use their context clues to work out a discussion about Dreamworld's new attraction construction doesn't relate to Sea World.

Just like when Sky Voyager made it complicated to discuss a former rollercoaster at Sea World... Nevertheless I think we'll all manage. If Y'all cant figure out whether I'm talking about one or the other, feel free to ask.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I think these days most english speakers would use their context clues to work out a discussion about Dreamworld's new attraction construction doesn't relate to Sea World.

Just like when Sky Voyager made it complicated to discuss a former rollercoaster at Sea World... Nevertheless I think we'll all manage. If Y'all cant figure out whether I'm talking about one or the other, feel free to ask.

I guess the difference is that Sky Voyager & Sea Viper didn’t operate at the same time, and were systematically very different rides, so likely wouldn’t be brought up in the same conversation as much as Jet Rescue & Jungle Rush might be. So, for the instances that they are bought up in the same topic/conversation, having the distinction then would be helpful.

10 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

So, for the instances that they are bought up in the same topic/conversation, having the distinction then would be helpful.

I have absolutely no doubt that anyone discussing JR and JR in the same topic or conversation would include an obvious differentiation, or simply spell out the entire name when needed to avoid any acronym confusion when referring to JR or JR. 

Just like you did.

14 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

so likely wouldn’t be brought up in the same conversation as much as Jet Rescue & Jungle Rush might be.

Pico Play recreates The Wizard of Oz for Warner Bros. Movie World

Pico Play to recreate The Wizard of Oz

Words:  Rebecca Hardy

25th March 2024 

World’s first Wizard of Oz land is set to open in late 2024

Pico Play, a global leader in the planning, design, development and construction of world-class themed attractions and entertainment, has revealed that it is partnering with Warner Bros. Themed Entertainment and Village Roadshow to recreate The Wizard of Oz in a theme park for the first time.

At Pico Play’s fabrication plant in Johor, Malaysia, a group of 95 artists and engineers are meticulously crafting the lands and realms from the famous 1939 film. These include the busy streets of Emerald City and the eerie forests of the Wicked Witch of the West.

The project is expected to open at Warner Bros. Movie World in 2024.

Homage to the iconic movie

Pico Play and Village Roadshow’s Warner Bros. Movie World have collaborated for the first time on this pioneering project in Australia’s Gold Coast. The project includes two new roller coasters, unique ride themes, and immersive visitor experiences.

Darren McLean, executive director of Pico Play, describes the company’s innovative approach to the project, which includes impressive facades, sculptures, projections, and audio: “We want to offer guests more than just a rollercoaster ride. The experience is more than the ride itself. There’s a story, there are characters and there’s excitement, anticipation and entertainment leading up to the rides.”

Pico Play to recreate The Wizard of Oz at Warner Bros. Movie World

The new area is themed around the movie’s beloved locations and characters, with sets which pay homage to key scenes. The immersive experience will transport visitors from Dorothy’s house in Kansas to the famous Yellow Brick Road.

McLean describes the project: “The load station for Flight of the Wicked Witch, a suspended family coaster soaring 19 metres high, mirrors the Wicked Witch of the West’s castle complete with flying monkeys, vultures and haunted trees.

“Guests will load and unload for the Kansas Twister, a family boomerang racer rollercoaster with dual tracks, amid a re-creation of Dorothy’s Kansas farm as the tornado comes through and whisks her off to the land of Oz.

“The stories and the characters are so rich and perfect to recreate for a theme park environment.”

The design replicates the original film’s innovative use of colour. Sepia tones are reflected in the Kansas sequences, while the Witch’s Wasteland evokes the movie’s monochrome palette. The land of Oz then dazzles with bright colours, from Munchkin Land to the Emerald City and the Poppy Fields.

McLean says: “We are also crafting sculptures of Dorothy and Toto, Tin Man, the Lion and Scarecrow, strategically placed for guests to link arms with them for a photo opportunity, recreating the iconic image of the characters, poised to embark on their journey down the Yellow Brick Road to the magical land of Oz.

“Scenes from the movie will also be projected in queueing areas and we are recreating the original soundtrack with a local sound studio to be played in different areas.”

Synergetic collaboration

Before building began in early 2023, Warner Bros. Themed Entertainment personnel travelled to Malaysia to inspect and approve specific aspects of the project’s design.

Bikash Randhawa, COO of Village Roadshow Theme Parks says that the multi-million-dollar redevelopment has revitalised the retired Arkham Asylum area, and is one of the largest investments in its 30-year history.

“There is a wonderful synergy between Village Roadshow Theme Parks and Pico Play, with both organisations sharing a passion and dedication towards delivering world-class experiences,” Randhawa comments.

“The Wizard of Oz precinct is different from anything we’ve previously undertaken at Movie World. Our goal is to extend the storytelling from the film and make this one of the most beautifully designed precincts in any Australian theme park.

“We engaged with Pico Play to expand on this concept and they truly helped us to bring
our vision to life.

“The precinct will have incredible theming and state-of-the-art technology complementing the physical ride elements providing a unique and world-class guest experience for visitors to Movie World.”

Innovative approach

Pico Play’s use of Glass-Reinforced Concrete (GRC), a unique material developed by the firm in Australia, is crucial to the development of the new area’s cutting-edge storytelling techniques. 

The innovative material enables the team to create sophisticated designs, forms, and textures. This approach uses panels which can be connected and engineered to fulfil Australian and international standards.

Over the next six months, 50 shipping containers will bring each item from Pico Play’s Malaysian plant to Australia, ready for installation. The arrival of the first shipments has heightened anticipation for both industry professionals and park visitors.

Before the precinct debuts in late 2024, Pico Play—which is renowned for providing the best end-to-end service in the industry—will install and test every component, including the sound and visuals.

Earlier this month, Pico Play announced that it is creating more than 50 new jobs in response to a new pipeline of projects. The recruitment drive will enhance the firm’s expertise and meet the international demand for its services.