Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

6 hours ago, Lakyn17 said:

Looks nice. Do you think the emerald castle theming and the other theming is to do with the rides? Or something that people can just walk through?

I reckon it’s a pre show of some description that takes place in that building (like the old lethal weapon one), before you exit and queue one of the 3 rides on offer.

Oh by the way with the $50 million or whatever this project has been quoted at you’d figure there would be a bit more to it? Surely the coasters themselves wouldn’t cost too much given they are both off the shelf models. I suppose construction photos and actually walking through the land will be the judge in this case as CGI isn’t indicative of the final product. I’d be pretty underwhelmed if it wasn’t at the standard of Leviathan though given the budget.

Edited by Baconjack

7 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Surely the coasters themselves wouldn’t cost too much given they are both off the shelf models

From a bit of googling, a family boomerang in 2020 cost 4.5 Million AUD, and they got two of them. I recall Mark Shaw years ago saying on here that when you bring a coaster to Australia you essentially double it's cost due to our labour/material prices etc. I cant find any information about the SFC cost but i think it'd be fair to assume the 3 of them would cost somewhere around 25-30 Million AUD, although i reckon I'm going unders there.

The Figure they spat out probably included the cost of AA demolition as well because you know big number good.

When you consider Taipan cost 32 Million, it's a pretty good deal to cop 3 Coasters and a whole new themed area for only 50.

Another comparison showing the whole land:150FF896-D9F6-4755-B937-05BB671A3008.thumb.jpeg.3ed0f1f52acd8e4e502c1eed01f0f5bb.jpeg

75305F16-67A5-48AE-A755-6BDEC434BA3B.thumb.jpeg.39ab23246d1f620de19b0e9ef9e1785d.jpeg

Looking at the differences:

• The Castles are both simplified significantly
  • The House and the Barn have been combined into one larger barn
  • All the rocks and gravel have been removed on FOTWW, making it look weird
  • Kansas Twister does not go over the path anymore
  • The Arkham station isn’t covered up (looks a bit ugly imo)
  • Not as much trees blocking sightlines (not that movie world cares)

Next time we need to be reminded when we see concept art that the land is likely not going to be like this. Remember when Leviathan and Jungle Rush were going to have mountains?

8F9CEFAF-F0D5-4BB3-B8F9-0EA1A5BA9C05.webp

• Like 3

Thanks @TBoy, it's great to see the renders side by side for comparison. My thoughts on the changes:

- The simplified castle I expected, but I do hope it has the darker tonnes like the first image. There does seem to be a filter on the second image to suit the style they were going for, but the castle does look to washed out. It's colour is too close to the barn, when it should be a lot darker and more menacing.

- I prefer the new barn design. It's scale is much more impressive. I hope they plant out the entire area around the track to make it feel like a field because the first image makes it look empty.

- I do hope we get some kind of rockwork/gravel around the castle, because you're right... it does look weird now.

- I'm interested to see how you will actually access these rides and whether the paths to get to them will be seperate or it's one path and you pick which way you want to go. I know we can see paths with people on them, but it's still not clear where the entry/queues/unload paths are.

- The Akrham station is looking very ugly and makes it look like they aren't even using it (work has been going on inside, so I assume it will form part of a walkthrough/preshow). I really hope they are covered up/themed when inside the land because they were never pretty, but (I guess) it worked when it was LW/AA.

- When it was AA, this area definitley always felt excluded from the park because of all the surrounding buildings. It didn't give the feeling you were isolated because you could see the other coasters around and always hear Scooby, but I hope they take into consideration sightlines because they're promoting how immersive this land and well themed it will be.

- The entry plaza area has definitley been stripped back quite a bit and the Emerald City has lost a lot of its dimensionality, but I hope it still gives that WOW factor. LW/AA's plaza always felt empty and like a waste of space because there was nothing in there.

12 minutes ago, themagician said:

- I'm interested to see how you will actually access these rides and whether the paths to get to them will be seperate or it's one path and you pick which way you want to go. I know we can see paths with people on them, but it's still not clear where the entry/queues/unload paths are.

- The Akrham station is looking very ugly and makes it look like they aren't even using it (work has been going on inside, so I assume it will form part of a walkthrough/preshow). I really hope they are covered up/themed when inside the land because they were never pretty, but (I guess) it worked when it was LW/AA.

Way back when we saw this:

16 hours ago, TBoy said:

Inside:

6593AAD9-478E-465A-9872-5F9B553AAE65.thumb.jpeg.11fe7ad02bf73a4d1a5212d9319680cb.jpeg

I assumed this is what the lethal weapon building was being used for. There is a doorway on each side of 'the great and powerful oz' and I assumed one door lead to each attraction. I assume that leads to the pathways you can see scattered throughout the land.

On 08/05/2024 at 10:40 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

There is a doorway on each side of 'the great and powerful oz' and I assumed one door lead to each attraction. I assume that leads to the pathways you can see scattered throughout the land.

This is what I've heard!