Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point "Closing"

Coasterjoe

9 minutes ago, TBoy said:

I know TPSN makes fake news for followers but this is plain up stupid.

Just one correction here - Much as i'm not a fan of the page, in most cases, he just reposts what is sent to him, and truly believes it. Over the years a lot of folk have created fakes and fed it to the page, and a lot of it has gotten through because he believes it.

• Like 3

My favourite part about this is how only just a few pages back we were discussing how great SE is and reliable the launch is.

Honestly the only thing I would want changed is the OTSR, fix the queue to go past the lockers before boarding and past the other side of the lockers after disembarking, replicating some OS parks and maybe some reprofiling on the track to smooth it a touch.

5 hours ago, TBoy said:

Just seeing this now and I can't believe people believe this on Facebook. TSPN is also trying to convince people bullshit that the top hat will be made double the height, being changed to 80m/260ft so taller than DC Rivals. 

This is very unrealistic as I said and made most likely for clickbait to get more followers. If they are using LIMs that are slower than hydraulics, how would the train get up the 80m tophat, unless there is a spike (which would ruin the story). I know TPSN makes fake news for followers but this is plain up stupid.

LSMs are almost impossible to integrate into the layout too whether or not you raise the top hat. They simply aren't powerful enough yet to get a train to 100 km/h in the space required. Superman already crawls over the top hat so you'd need double the power if you were to raise the top hat which cannot be done without a swing launch (which is straight up impossible to fit inside the show building)

There is almost no reason for them to replace the system yet. Perhaps within the next 10 years it's a possibility but for the time being it runs well and Village take good care of it. I think it's more likely that Superman gets updated trains like Roadrunner or Scooby than a launch system upgrade.

Edited by Baconjack

On 24/5/2023 at 8:08 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Just one correction here - Much as i'm not a fan of the page, in most cases, he just reposts what is sent to him, and truly believes it. Over the years a lot of folk have created fakes and fed it to the page, and a lot of it has gotten through because he believes it.

One of my favourite past times when I worked at MW... trolling the people that ran all those FB pages and then watching it show up on forums like Parks or even Facebook a few days later as "Reliable sources" when it was some of the most outlandish BS myself and the rest of the staff could think of lol.

• Like 4
  • Love it! 1

On 24/05/2023 at 3:49 PM, Dean Barnett said:

Regardless lapbars would be a much better ride experience. 

Legitimate question here - the Superman restraints are essentially the same as the one Gazza posted, but with the red straps. The straps don't actually hold you in? So at best they prevent you from leaning too far out of your seat if you were to try, but they're not doing too much to actually restrain you?

How does the ability to move your head sideways about 8 inches improve the ride experience to a scale of 'much better it would be worth the millions of dollars it would cost to do it' ?

image.png.d7a2721b3e4b4e749e829fff64c2b9df.png

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

How does the ability to move your head sideways about 8 inches improve the ride experience to a scale of 'much better it would be worth the millions of dollars it would cost to do it' ?

For my wife in particular, being able to ride more than once without having her ears beaten to a bloody pulp.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The straps don't actually hold you in?

The newer restraints are more like the Mack restraints on Rivals/Taipan; they're more contoured to clamp on your thighs, whereas the current superman restraints are just a tube at the base of the OTSR, so the straps still play a role in holding you in overall. I don't think this is really a risk/concern on our superman ride though.

I'm quite sure both of these were posted into the Movie world "fan club" group - both later either disproven or corrected. 

As mentioned by @Spotty - there are several staff who like to drop fake rumors just to see how far the story will go - such as the "Scooby Fire Eyes" gag from long ago. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these latest ones were staff taking the mickey out of TPSN and the Fan Club.

...And this is why its always a pretty good  idea to take these things with a grain of salt until something official comes from the park...

7 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It’s more about the psychology of it I guess - but the straps do feel more secure. You feel way more “open” with lapbars, even more with staggered seating like on Shambhala  

Plus if they are changing the launch, new lighter trains would be beneficial 

Edited by Dean Barnett

On 26/05/2023 at 7:47 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Legitimate question here - the Superman restraints are essentially the same as the one Gazza posted, but with the red straps. The straps don't actually hold you in? So at best they prevent you from leaning too far out of your seat if you were to try, but they're not doing too much to actually restrain you?

image.png.d7a2721b3e4b4e749e829fff64c2b9df.png

As a taller person, the OTSR sit very tight against the top of my shoulders, which is made even more uncomfortable when it's pushing me down into the not well padded seat. It's not the most comfortable but the ride is over so quickly that It doesn't become a big problem. If I could ride with a cushion under my boney ass, the ride would likely be much less uncomfortable. 

• 4 weeks later...