The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

Be careful with the fast pass if you plan on riding the Leviathan. We purchased 2 fast passes this morning, with the intention of riding it. When the ride didnt open all day ( as of 4.30 this arv it was still closed) we asked if just the leviathan one shot could be moved to another day this week. It took 45 minutes of wrangling between us, staff (who were all great) and management (who are stingy aholes) to get even that out of them.

Pretty poor considering all three of the new atlantis rides were down for almost all of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 2:54 PM, rappa said:

So here is a genuine question…

Given Village (or Dreamworld) don’t just invent painful load procedures and extensive safety systems for the fun of it; they jump through whatever hoops the government makes them. 

How do the carny operators get away with not doing half the safety stuff that the parks have to do?

Here's something I ponder.

Firstly, I know someone fell out of some janky old hangover ride at Cairns in 2020, but that didn't even have secondary belts.

It seems like a lot of attention gets paid to load procedures even though it doesn't seem like guests being incorrectly restrained has been a cause of incidents.

When incidents have occurred in Aus, it was due to to other factors like the engineering of the ride itself.

Like on ST for instance I thought Mack trains were already a very good design with good monitoring, and a restraint failing has pretty much a nil chance, so I wonder why there had to be the RFID thing they tap on each seat on top of that?

Edited by Gazza

The only useful thing I've seen with the RFID tags is on Hagride.

With the rolling station, the attendant verify the car as secure with one location and can even reset/unlock the cars with another RFID reader position. If the train hasn't been secured by the end of platform area the whole station stops.

Velocicoaster until recently was fine with one attendant checking the restraints (and just pulling up. never stapling people in). Millions of people have ridden without incident. They recently changed it so every seat gets checked twice, but I feel like this might be to stop half empty trains being dispatched because the groupers can't keep up with the platform load speed.

Using RFID's to verify seats on a static station seems like a waste of both time and money. 

Edited by Dean Barnett

I can see a use for RFIDs but it's quite specific.

Say you run 2 ops checking restraints most of the year, but you want to change it to 4 or 6 for peak season. Changing operations like that increases the chance of missing a restraint since you've dicked with the routine and staff wouldnt be used to starting halfway along the train and finishing somewhere else halfway along the train. RFIDs would mitigate the risk of making such a change temporarily since you know that all restraints got checked every time.

2 hours ago, Gazza said:

Like on ST for instance I thought Mack trains were already a very good design with good monitoring, and a restraint failing has pretty much a nil chance, so I wonder why there had to be the RFID thing they tap on each seat on top of that?

That is done because GP don’t understand how restraints work. I have heard lots of people say DCR is unsafe because it has no over the shoulder restraints. Which is very untrue but imagine someone with some following  posts on Instagram “dreamworld is still unsafe look how minimal this restraint is” DW added extra “safety” not for safety it’s already 100% safe but for reputation and guests feeling more Secure. Not sure what’s going on with SV though 

3 hours ago, New display name said:

We might as well shut down all the theme parks then.

I mean I was going to make a similar reply to your initial comment but thought it was needlessly argumentative 😃

But yeah, to meautomatically verifying that an op has visited each seat has some utility, particularly if you ever change the staffing pattern on the platform. That doesn't strike me as being a controversial thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a late one I finally got on leviathan!!! It’s a fully world class ride not even joking. I hate they call it the worlds most iconic wooden coaster but I will look over that because the ride is just sooo good. Today had no wait at all the rides were a walk on. Ok JR you actually had to wait for enough people to enter the line.. I have never been to a park that empty before.. nsw school hoildays are still on though. Maybe the helicopters have something to do with it?? Anyway I “lined up” for leviathan the start of the day had the longest waits being 7 minutes. The theming is soo sick I love the aircon too. I thought the tunnel to the station would be longer but it’s a nice touch. The station is rad with the leviathan swimming around you. The lighting effects add to it too! The turn out of the station feels so tight and forced but the drop is amazing. It’s the best feeling! The ride has some great airtime especially this one spot when you pass the green shade thing. I like the back row (not backwards) the most you really feel the drop there and the airtime. The restraints really digged into my hips though. I am fairly average size but I got bruises on my hips now but I can forgive that. Because of the restraint I did find it a bit rough but that just adds to the wildness. I really love the wooden coaster feel. It just keeps going it’s such a long ride I feel like DCR, ST, and Leviathan are tied for my favourite coaster. I rode it 11 times! No fast pass. I could have done it 40 times easy but the friend I was with wanted to see the rest of the park because they had vip ever been to seaworld.  I never got sick of the ride it was fun every time. My friend said it was 10x better then SE. Leviathan opened with the park and went down for 20 minutes at the end of the day for “technical issues” but the wait times were so great the park was Erie it was so quiet. I had a great day and leviathan lived up to the hype. It’s so much fun i would go into the brake run every time with a smile on my face. All up we did about 40 rides (as in how many rerides on everything combined) seaworld OPs we’re all super nice and quick. Vortex was open but only had about 4-6 people on each cycle.  One thing is seaworld NEED a skyrocket ll clone

• Like 1

4 hours ago, REGIE said:

nsw school hoildays

This is incorrect. NSW is back to school this week, and for all intents and purposes, School holidays are over. As promised in a different thread, the drop off when school goes back is huge! Jan after school holidays finish and Feb as a whole is by far the quietest time of the year.

Glad you enjoyed your day!

Edited by joz