Sea World Construction (Possible New Atlantis extension/flat ride)

Tricoart

There has been some construction taking place adjacent to Leviathan recently, which I’d noticed a couple of months ago but hadn’t thought worth specifying, as at that point it was some equipment & a pile of what seemed to be gravel. According to auscoasters on Instagram, however, a circular concrete base has been poured in what’s described as ‘a rectangular plot’, which they’re theorising to possibly be for a new flat of some description (they predictably mention the possibility of a Screamin’ Swing, due to the rectangular shape of the plot). Naturally, with the location, and in what seems to be a staple of Village’s current projects, any progress can only clearly be seen from rides or satellite/birds-eye images, so, unless a current overhead photo is taken, photos clearly defining the scope of any updates at the site can’t be taken. Attached are the images taken by auscoasters

IMG_6467.thumb.jpeg.2919791ee5eba98255f8cbc55b37d04f.jpeg

IMG_6466.thumb.jpeg.48b2f41fe7cd9c60292e36c90a7bb011.jpeg

And a wider angle image I took of the site in September, before the base is said to have been poured, for perspective’s sake.

IMG_6464.thumb.jpeg.9a36ea494e9dd63063eb8b8d4bc61098.jpeg

The best viewing angle of the construction (without going on a ride) is the one where these photos was taken, looking back underneath the bridge, toward Leviathan, on the path to Jet Rescue.

Edited by Tricoart

• Tricoart changed the title to Sea World Construction (Possible New Atlantis extension/flat ride)

Could it maybe be an extension for Nickelodeon Land? Looking at the qldglobe site it shows the location of the slab in-between New Atlantis and Nick. Maybe a new flat or two with some of Nickelodeon's new properties (Paw Patrol etc.) to update the area like with Marvin at MW?

Whatever comes there, I would like for the white sheds at Leviathan (maintenance/station) to be covered up. Maybe paint it green to match the surrounding area like what Disney does?

7 hours ago, Tricoart said:

According to auscoasters on Instagram, however, a circular concrete base has been poured in what’s described as ‘a rectangular plot’, which they’re theorising to possibly be for a new flat of some description (they predictably mention the possibility of a Screamin’ Swing, due to the rectangular shape of the plot).

After their last ride they built for them came within a bees dick of killing people I highly doubt Village would buy anything from S&S again

I remember hearing (can’t remember who or what my source was), but I believe they were originally looking at having four attractions as part of the original Atlantis announcement. But decided they would delay one of the attractions for a future expansion in a few years. So maybe what we’re seeing on this land is for that?

8 hours ago, TBoy said:

Could it maybe be an extension for Nickelodeon Land? Looking at the qldglobe site it shows the location of the slab in-between New Atlantis and Nick. Maybe a new flat or two with some of Nickelodeon's new properties (Paw Patrol etc.) to update the area like with Marvin at MW?

Whatever comes there, I would like for the white sheds at Leviathan (maintenance/station) to be covered up. Maybe paint it green to match the surrounding area like what Disney does?

Judging by the QLD globe site, that image is from July. Nearmap have done a more recent flyover on 17th September - there still doesn't appear to be a slab as of September.

We have almost nothing to go on here - if it weren't for the slab being circular, you could say it was just back of house like the slab they poured behind the wave pool at WnW, but if this is for an attraction (and the shape suggests it is), i'd say it's likely to be part of atlantis given how they finished the themed concrete path next to the leviathan shed.

image.thumb.png.9582bce09274dd64cdbfa4c23e461954.png

It's a big space if it's just a spinner - here's hoping they've got something special cooked up (and here's hoping they hide or theme the Levi shed a bit better from that angle)

I will say though, it's unusual that they'd be pouring a slab and we've heard nothing... like it's very typical village to not announce a ride until after it's built, but we've still usually heard SOMETHING...

17 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I will say though, it's unusual that they'd be pouring a slab and we've heard nothing... like it's very typical village to not announce a ride until after it's built, but we've still usually heard SOMETHING...

I thought similar, hence why I didn't think much of the construction site back in September. A staff member’s mentioned to me the possibility of shifting BoH areas around for a future Polar Bear Shores expansion, but when I mentioned that site to them, they didn’t know/couldn’t say what it was for. But, with the existence of a circular slab now, it definitely seems like it’s something notable. I will mention, though, at the same time I took the picture of the site in September, there was a lot of shipping crates/construction materials, most of which seemed to be for Levi maintenance, but a box labelled ‘AQUA’ & what looked to an untrained eye like mesh for oddly shaped rockwork (could very well just be wrapped up fencing/mesh, but I interpreted it’s spiked shape as intentional) piqued my interest back then, ‘til I brushed it off & forgot about it ‘til now. Probably seeing ties where they don’t exist, but could they be related?

IMG_6465.thumb.jpeg.2bc1b5f02bd505fb7203713aee90527f.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart

Agree - that's exactly what it is. As you can see from the nearmap I posted above though, the whole area has been tidied up and cleared out. There's a lot of long, plastic wrapped objects stacked neatly outside that area. My first thought was that it was more Levi timber because that's how it looked when it first arrived in the carpark, but it hasn't been there that long - In October last year, there were no stacked piles, and indeed the construction site support buildings (and poured concrete paths) were on the site - this has all been ripped up.

image.thumb.png.5a018ce0df8a242dbf62ab4aab09a029.png

Looking at that site, and then the next shot, it looks like there is a sewer pit under one of those buildings:

image.png.9ec33953412ebdbb5208ec929fe8ba58.png

There is a recent (August) approval for the park to build a new bathroom\amenities block, though this could be the animal adventures block over by the sea lion stadium...

There aren't any other recent approvals for ride-related construction - other than one for the 'trident gondola platform' lodged on 13/9/23 - which doesn't make a lot of sense to me since Trident was lodged back in November 2021...

I noticed it at the top of storm the other day, the area is decently sized and considering how Atlantis’s themed path continues exactly into the direction of this plot of land, it would not surprise me at all if this is a new flat being added into the area. The construction area and the concrete pad itself are too big for just a toilet block, it would also be very random to add a new toilet block so far out of reach from the current guest areas without adding a new attraction.

Edited by Rivals

17 minutes ago, Rivals said:

I noticed it at the top of storm the other day, the area is decently sized and considering how Atlantis’s themed path continues exactly into the direction of this plot of land, it would not surprise me at all if this is a new flat being added into the area. The construction area and the concrete pad itself are too big for just a toilet block, it would also be very random to add a new toilet block so far out of reach from the current guest areas without adding a new attraction.

Parents room, rest rooms, accessible restroom, ambulant restroom, put them all together and it could take up a large area.

2 minutes ago, Naazon said:

They do need a toilet out that way though

Didn't you parents teach you to go before you leave the house?  😀

Edited by New display name

2 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

On the topic of a possible new flat ride, what flat ride would people like to see? I agree a S&S Scream n swing would be cool, but what other flat rides would people like to see?

Though a Screamin’ Swing would be cool, we’ve seen how Vortex went for them (though that is partially due to it’s faults, even when operating it rarely has a queue), so it’d suit the park more if they opted for a milder, family ride (and, if VRTP were to get a Screamin’ Swing, have it replace Doomsday). That, and the circular pad, makes me hope it’s something of that demographic. The first ride that comes to mind is a NebulaZ.

37 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Though a Screamin’ Swing would be cool, we’ve seen how Vortex went for them (though that is partially due to it’s faults, even when operating it rarely has a queue), so it’d suit the park more if they opted for a milder, family ride (and, if VRTP were to get a Screamin’ Swing, have it replace Doomsday). That, and the circular pad, makes me hope it’s something of that demographic. The first ride that comes to mind is a NebulaZ.

A Screamin' Swing would be perfect for where Vortex currently is though, swinging over the water on both sides 

I’d be surprised if they’re considering new capital spend on a 4th attraction so soon. There is already a lot either on the go or in commencement between WOZ, Scooby and Flash. Also all projects that have likely increased from their original capital expenditure position. 

Not to mention VRTP is long overdue for an AOS refresh (when you consider the typical life of past shows) and WB showcase would be reaching the end of its term? 

2 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

A Screamin' Swing would be perfect for where Vortex currently is though, swinging over the water on both sides 

Not sure i'd want guests hovering over the dolphin pools. especially in a condition likely to make them chuck. 

2 hours ago, Levram__ said:

I’d be surprised if they’re considering new capital spend on a 4th attraction so soon. There is already a lot either on the go or in commencement between WOZ, Scooby and Flash. Also all projects that have likely increased from their original capital expenditure position. 

Not to mention VRTP is long overdue for an AOS refresh (when you consider the typical life of past shows) and WB showcase would be reaching the end of its term? 

Showcase was supposed to close a while back wasn't it? then got extended?

I'd heard whisper that something different was coming to the showstage (ie not a prop show) but not sure whats happened with it.

On 14/12/2023 at 2:05 PM, GoGoBoy said:

This! That would be a fantastic attraction for that site. Those rides are cool, but their location can make them so much better, and this would be the perfect spot for one.

You will almost never see another S&S ride at a VRTP theme park after Green Lantern almost had it's own TRRR moment.

A Mondial Avalanche would have been a better choice than a Topspin, and would have given the same effect of swinging over the water, effectively being a combination of pendulum ride and topspin. Also, it is my understanding that VRTP's insurer won't allow them to have a ride swing or pass directly over a walkway without a barrier in place.  So you'd end up with an ugly 'shade' structure or a net.

But I'd also like to see Sea World bring back some more classic boardwalk style rides and just theme them to Atlantis.  A golden Pirate ship, an Intamin Coaster Wheel (which has fixed and coasting gondolas), or something moderately thrilling that families can ride together.

• Like 2

I'd honestly prefer to see a walkthrough of some sort. We have a new Atlantis area with very little to tie it to the overall idea of atlantis outside of a statue of Russell Crowe holding a trident. Some sort of grotto or something with effects and maybe a cameo from the Levi would go down a treat.