The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

Just now, Gobbledok said:

Why would you want haze in the station

That just causes issues with fire systems guest feeling asthma symptoms and reduced visibility for the staff

And adds nothing to the theme

I think he may be referring to the fog that emits from the rear of the station as the train enters from the brakerun.

My interpretation was that the CO2 fog was there to provide something for the train to pass through (hence being at the opening in the wall), much like the pit of fog on storm coaster, or the now gone steam effects on the Superman tunnel.

Thus a door might not help if the train stirs it up each time.

If the intent was to make the whole room foggy, then the emitter would have been in the middle of the room in the first place?

Edited by Gazza

The very nature of Low Fog/CO2 effects is that they are quick dispersing. The last thing you want is it ‘filling’ the station. 

The real issue you have at Leviathan is the small amount of time between the Dispatch command and the train rolling out. This doesn’t really give enough time for the effects to start flowing and be effective. 

37 minutes ago, rappa said:

The real issue you have at Leviathan is the small amount of time between the Dispatch command and the train rolling out. This doesn’t really give enough time for the effects to start flowing and be effective. 

I'm curious - i'm sure this is an issue the team behind these effects are aware of, and i'm sure they've explored every possibility for having it trigger early, so i'm sure i'm missing something - but it has me wondering - couldn't there be a separate 'manual' button to trigger this particular effect? Even if it were perhaps on a timer than only allowed it to run a certain time to prevent it being set off too early, or running too long?

(I ask because the show elements on space probe weren't connected to the ride system. The operator would trigger the effects by a separate button to dispatch, which is part of the reason the TV countdown was never the same spot - the computer wasn't randomising it, it was just up to when the op triggered it (along with the patch job they did on the drive module that ran slower than the others, causing the timing to be off, but that's another story told too many times already)

I had heard the CO2 effect on runaway railway was costing disney a butt-tonne of money - but if it's a specific duration per dispatch, surely some way to trigger it manually isn't out of the question? I'm just curious to understand why this isn't possible - as i'm sure they would if they could?

Firstly it is not a CO2 effect.. CO2 is used either in jets or to cool fog to keep it low, or it can be used to create haze... which is different again. 

I'm pretty sure they have a smoke machine - like one you could get from Jaycar. It could definately be triggered early manually - or maybe a set time after the train gets locked. 

The haze isn't required by any means.. but any smoke detectors would probably be triggered by the smoke existing effect.

Haze wouldn't impact visiblity - it's used on tv every single day - it just allows beams to be defined.

Again none of this is important.. just a nice to have if they're gonna close it several times a year. I'd rather they get better at dispatching trains any day of the week 

51 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

Firstly it is not a CO2 effect.. CO2 is used either in jets or to cool fog to keep it low, or it can be used to create haze... which is different again. 

I'm pretty sure they have a smoke machine - like one you could get from Jaycar. It could definately be triggered early manually - or maybe a set time after the train gets locked. 

The haze isn't required by any means.. but any smoke detectors would probably be triggered by the smoke existing effect.

Haze wouldn't impact visiblity - it's used on tv every single day - it just allows beams to be defined.

Again none of this is important.. just a nice to have if they're gonna close it several times a year. I'd rather they get better at dispatching trains any day of the week 

Jesus christ you're a slow learner. Boy you better get back to class - you're about to be schooled... (who has the popcorn?)

3 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

This one ?

image.thumb.png.3650c466a17ff7fe9ede544527491e77.png

That's an accumulation tank for the brake run, if i'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rappa said:

the fog actually triggers from a station attendant dispatch button

I had thought about that - an ok to dispatch from the station, rather than the master console, but figured if it were an option it'd be in place (which it clearly is).

Would there be any way to time it to start a certain number of seconds after the load gates close? 

I totally get the 'focus on safe ride' and it's good that the show elements have been designed so they don't require extra work from the ops team. thanks for answering my question. 👍

41 minutes ago, rappa said:

a Look Solutions Cryo Fog

You can definitely get those at Jaycar, right? 😂 Did you get their bulk discount for buying multiples???

48 minutes ago, rappa said:

@Dean Barnett you’re an idiot.

Thus concludes my Dean schooling for today. 

I was so busting with excitement waiting for this reply. thankyou for the afternoon giggle!

On 3/8/2023 at 2:33 PM, rappa said:

you’re an idiot. To be exact the machines in use are a Look Solutions Cryo Fog.

Am I an idiot - or is VRTP for apparently using a low fog effect in a outdoor uncontained area in really small quantities?

It makes zero sense... unless the station was closed in with curtains both ends.. even then it would be so expensive they'd never keep up with it.. haze would be much better.  The low fog effect on the shows such as Masked Singer/AGT/X Factor etc cost $20/minute to run.. so expensive that they don't even use them until the last rehearsal/record. 

Very late to the party, first ride today. Impressions the same as the consensus so won’t go over old ground, but I did notice the frame rate on the screens was struggling on my second go.

There’s an A-Frame sign near the entry to Atlantis advising of an alternate path to Leviathan, but it neglects to mention the main entry is currently a dead end, so the alternate path is actually the only path.

• Like 1