Theme Park Worldwide Announce Australian Tour

Noll_57

40 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Oh, but it was - I asked it even before Baconjack's question. 

You can clearly see the question I was answering because I quoted it.

41 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It's a discussion forum no? 

Sure is, and I've discussed lots of stuff in this thread and have contributed years upon years of ideas and thoughts about future projects for Dreamworld, and as much as I enjoy seeing Dreamworld both simultaneously lament and leverage this site for commercial gain, even I have my limits.

46 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Why is an IP so essential to a kid?

Matthew Ball's paper on marginal affinity paints a great picture of the things I was alluding to earlier and answers the question well. Again, I've mentioned both IAAPA and Google Scholar have some great stuff on the topic if you want to really deep dive on the topic.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Sorry @DaptoFunlandGuyI was talking more about the doing the area right, with or without an IP.  As I said early, Ocean Parade is now going to have Chinese buildings in it.

Ive seen their impressions of Pandamonium, and lamented the outcomes of that on these forums previously... its not ideal, for sure - but a cosmetic overlay to remove indicia that they're contractually obligated to remove being done at minimal cost still fits in the vein of not blowing the budget on the respray job when the engine still needs rebuilding.

I reckon at that end it could have been a "Wild Asia" section that connected with Tiger Island.

Chessington has something similar:

image.thumb.png.0f4e624671355265535a6da9bbd6dc58.png

I don't know about anyone else but I love the theming that was done for the revamped Tiger Island so would happily see more of that.

So perhaps Serpent Slayer would have been done in a more stony colour, dodgems do a bit on them to make the Chinese buildings look older.

And then the remainder of kids area can be ABC / Kenny / Belinda, that's fine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Slick said:

Bluey. 

I’m honestly incredibly surprised a big IP like Bluey isn’t getting any representation in ABC Kids World. With the show being as popular as it is (both here and overseas) and with it being made and set in Southeast Queensland (heck, some of the show even takes place on the Gold Coast), I thought it would’ve been a slam dunk for Dreamworld. 

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

That's great and all for the little kids, if you want to replace Wiggles and ABC, but what about the older kids that Dreamworks appealed to?

Considering there are many people of all ages who actively watch and enjoy Bluey, I reckon it would appeal to a much wider audience than you think. 

Then again, I guess all of Brisbane is truly the real Bluey theme park. 

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, TBoy said:

Nah Daddy Pig GigaCoaster, the first gigacoaster in the southern hemisphere and the world's most iconic coaster. 

In a world of social media and memes at least it would get heaps of publicity. Honestly a Peppa pig giga or hyper would be very successful haha. But like seriously it would be great. not even joking.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

Dreamworld didn't open with any roller coasters, it doesn't need roller coasters.

I am done.. your mind is made up and I respect your opinion.  Everyone else seems to understand why they are doing it so I don’t really get why your fighting it.  But you have one good point to make. Serpent slayer was not executed very well unfortunately. But the well done parent centre gives me a bit of hope. 

• Love it! 1

I think what's weird about it is you've got ABC Kids land, and K&B Dreamland. Like two lands aimed at the same narrow group of guests next to each other. Dreamworks Skewed a bit older, so it's not like for like. Instead of K&B you put Bluey in as Part of the new ABC Kids World, lean into Tiger Island and the Asian theme being complementary and give the wider area a Wild Asia theme and it kind of works. I can see an argument for 'Change it doesn't remind people of what used to be there' but to me that makes more sense.

One other thing I'd say is IP lives and dies by how good it is. You don't need to have seen a single Indiana Jones movie for the ride to be awesome, same with Scooby, same with Twilight Zone. When the IP is the springboard to make something good, then it doesn't matter what the IP is. When the IP is just a sticker that adds nothing then it's pointless. Mick Doohan and Hotwheels are both great examples of this and the park is much stronger for letting them go IMHO.

The thing about K&B is that it kind of is an IP, just it's an internal one that no one is familiar with, certainly won't drive attendance. Are they being used to do something cool or is it a sticker? If it's a sticker, honesty you'd be better off calling everything from Escape to the F&B outlets 'Central Plaza' and just making stuff look charming. If there's a creative thing where it's K&B corner of the park and it's where they live like with gumtree houses or something to tie it together it could be good.

I don't know what they have up their sleaves, it might be good. I'm also giving them the benefit of the doubt that Serpent Slayer isn't finished yet. That has more to do with being an eternal optimist rather than anything I've seen so far though.

• Like 1

I completely agree. Going with a more classic amusement park charm would be nice it would just be a fun area to be in. I agree Kenny and Belinda don’t really work for that area as much as something else would. Kenny and Belinda would be better for a wiggles world retheme but that’s not the case. Like @jozsaid a Asian tiger Island theme would be great. It would make the area pleasant to be in for adults and kids alike the other option I would love would be a European themed area or medieval village. The hard part is making it flow into the other areas around.

12 hours ago, New display name said:

Dreamworld didn't open with any roller coasters, it doesn't need roller coasters.

Neither did Movie World. What happens to that park if you pull all the coasters out?

9 hours ago, joz said:

I think what's weird about it is you've got ABC Kids land, and K&B Dreamland. Like two lands aimed at the same narrow group of guests next to each other.

My impression from the announcement was that K&B land would have ABC and Wiggles 'in it', not that ABC land would be separate to K&B. Like maybe Kenny and Belinda just like The Wiggles?

9 hours ago, joz said:

That has more to do with being an eternal optimist

stretching the truth a little there Joz. ;)

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Neither did Movie World. What happens to that park if you pull all the coasters out?

We have been friends for 16 years and I still have to give you /s 😢

10 hours ago, joz said:

One other thing I'd say is IP lives and dies by how good it is. You don't need to have seen a single Indiana Jones movie for the ride to be awesome, same with Scooby, same with Twilight Zone. When the IP is the springboard to make something good, then it doesn't matter what the IP is. When the IP is just a sticker that adds nothing then it's pointless. Mick Doohan and Hotwheels are both great examples of this and the park is much stronger for letting them go IMHO.

I agree, you don't have to put an IP on everything and MD & HW are great examples of pointless IPs and IPs done badly.  As it stands with DW, the only real theming DW have gotten 100% right (say, in the last 15 years) is Tiger Island & DreamWorks.   When DW changed to DreamWorks you could be confident DreamWorks would not let DW do a mediocre job.  DreamWorks would never allow a paint over.

I also believe it is easier to pull of a Minecraft or DreamWorks area over a K & B Land.  If I asked everybody in Parkz to design a Minecraft area, a lot of us would all come back with similar designs.  A solid IP design themselves and people will blindly go DW just because it has a Minecraft without even knowing what’s in it.  (Minecraft just example of strong IP, don’t shoot me people)

Fuck, I told my daughter I’ll take her to the Mario movie and I haven’t seen one trailer.  It might not even be age appropriate and I might have to walk out half way through the movie but I don’t care.

Anyway, just thoughts, that I say out loud.   When I talk about the parks, I do it from a guest perspective because that is what I am.  I have no interest in ever working in a park but when I walk through the gates, I know what I want.

28 minutes ago, REGIE said:

They have a few days on the Gold Coast if they really want to ride WWF they can always come back.   Trident and vortex didn’t open all day either. Leviathan opened with the park though which is good to see

WWF surprisingly did end up opening today which is great from them.

• Like 1