Theme Park Worldwide Announce Australian Tour

Noll_57

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Loss of IP - if you've got a choice between renewing a 10 year old licence, or building an entirely new land \ attraction group - what's going to give you the boost? New Dreamworks might have given a 20% bump, but 10 year old renewed dreamworks won't. If you've got a limited pile of money, you'd put it towards something new, rather than keep old things going without getting additional value out of it - see also: tower of terror.

Nobody said DW had to keep Dreamworks but not securing another IP and going the cheap and nasty route won't do it. (Every day, DW is looking more & more like an amusement park) Have you ever seen a kid at DW dress up as a koala?😂  DW have stepped up in pushing Kenny & Belinda into the limelight, but koalas are for old people.   (It's probably why you like them so much. /s)

Edited by New display name

Just now, Park Addict 93 said:

Realistically what IP could they license to rejuvenate the area?

I have no doubt Universal was unwilling to renew the license, I don't think it was DW being cheap.

DW being cheap is what they are doing now @Park Addict 93 I have no care speculating why Dreamworks has left, I only care what they replace it with.

27 minutes ago, New display name said:

Nobody said DW had to keep Dreamworks but not securing another IP and going the cheap and nasty route won't do it.

Rethemes aren't likely to generate the same return on investment as new attractions. I'm sure Arkham Asylum didn't really return much beyond Lethal Weapon - the thrill ride was a thrill ride regardless of what sticker was on the front. 

If you have X money, and you can spend it on a new ride, or you can spend it on purchasing permission to put different stickers on your existing rides.... i know what i'm choosing to do (and I know what's going to bring more people to my park)

Did Six Flags really suffer when they dropped Terminator in favour of the generic Apocalypse?

I'm interested to know what other IP besides Dreamworks, and Nickelodeon that you think they should have gone with? (bearing in mind that the market mix between little kids and bigger kids means ABC Kids and Wiggles isn't going to wash for the older demographic, but you need something that includes both of those)

39 minutes ago, New display name said:

Nobody said DW had to keep Dreamworks but not securing another IP and going the cheap and nasty route won't do it.

Name 1 family IP that will drive gate that’s not off limits for DW to license. I’m seriously struggling to think of one, they are pretty much all either owned by their competitors like Disney/Universal or Village at this point.

I think they’ve done very well keeping ABC Kids and the Wiggles on board as is.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Name 1 family IP that will drive gate that’s not off limits for DW to license. I’m seriously struggling to think of one, they are pretty much all either owned by their competitors like Disney/Universal or Village at this point.

I think they’ve done very well keeping ABC Kids and the Wiggles on board as is.

Bluey. 

• Like 1
  • Love it! 3

42 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'm interested to know what other IP besides Dreamworks, and Nickelodeon that you think they should have gone with? (bearing in mind that the market mix between little kids and bigger kids means ABC Kids and Wiggles isn't going to wash for the older demographic, but you need something that includes both of those)

People should stop thinking within the box.   

What is one of the biggest money makers?  Computer Games.

Top of my head.

Minecraft.

Minecraft is Microsoft, imagine the IP cost for a Minecraft world. 

EDIT: I have a feeling before Covid Dreamworld was teasing a Bluey expansion of some kind, but since then Bluey has gone to Disney overseas so i imagine the cost may have gone too high.

Edited by Vidgamer

1 hour ago, New display name said:

DW being cheap is what they are doing now @Park Addict 93 

“Dreamworld’s being cheap” while investing $60m+ into the park over the next 2 years, with $35m of that going to one ride? make it make sense. People don’t go to Dreamworld for IP’s, that’s MovieWorld’s draw card.

It seems like your only motive here is to bash Dreamworld, they do something positive and you twist it into negatives. you should find something better to do.

4 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I thought Sky Voyager was a simulator, not a dark ride.

Dark ride is where you follow a course through a few scenes, eg Justice League, Big Red Car, Ghost Train etc.

nevermind, simulator. Dark Ride was the first thing that came to my mind.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I thought Sky Voyager was a simulator, not a dark ride.

Dark ride is where you follow a course through a few scenes, eg Justice League, Big Red Car, Ghost Train etc.

At that point, I gave up.

2 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

Open up Peppa Pig World and give me Daddy Pig Hyper Coaster.

Welcome to the dark side.

• Love it! 1

24 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

Isn't Dreamworld still actively trying to sell? Wouldn't IP just make that harder?

This whole discussion started because people were being overly positive (in my eyes) on DW's future.   I gave a list of negative things on why it's not all rainbows and lollypops which makes me unsure of DW's future.   People, as they do around here, picked out one or two items, which took the discussion to somewhere else.   

To answer your question, yes it makes sense DW went cheap on the re-theme and didn't pick up a new IP, if DW are still looking to sell.  Which backs up my thoughts from the original post, that I am unsure of DW's future.

Edited by New display name

That's fair. Cheers for the recount. 

Honestly I feel like Dreamworld is in for the long haul but likely just not under Ardent. The most likely outcome is that it gets taken over by Parques Reuindos and continues along as expected with some additional cash injections to be sold off further down the line, or it gets purchased by Merlin and gets a similar treatment to Cypress Gardens to become a Lego resort.

This leaves current management in an awkward spot where they need to plan for the future to keep the park fresh whilst also not doing anything too dramatic to affect it's sale potential. So as long as Dreamworld is under Ardent I feel we will mostly see safe and generic expansions. 

4 minutes ago, REGIE said:

Nah wouldn’t want to be positive.. not when being moody is cool..

You know moody isn't the opposite of being positive?

@Guest 239DW's history after Longhurst is all about, DW losing money - cash injection - flipped.  Unless somebody comes up with a real plan for DW, instead of thinking adding a couple of rides will fix DW each time, the will cycle will continue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slick said:

Bluey. 

That's great and all for the little kids, if you want to replace Wiggles and ABC, but what about the older kids that Dreamworks appealed to?

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

bearing in mind that the market mix between little kids and bigger kids means ABC Kids and Wiggles isn't going to wash for the older demographic, but you need something that includes both of those

2 hours ago, New display name said:

People should stop thinking within the box.   

What is one of the biggest money makers?  Computer Games.

Top of my head.

Minecraft.

Yeah i'll pay that. (And everyone else will too because they could never afford it) but something along those lines would be fairly simple to theme, and would be inoffensive enough that it would appeal to all ages, or at the least, not be unappealing. Maybe Roblox as an independent with a similar age group appeal would be ok. 

Despite this, it doesn't avoid the issue that licences are always going to cost money, and it's potentially better they put their funds towards new experiences, rather than paying licencing fees to retheme old ones.

8 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

That's great and all for the little kids, if you want to replace Wiggles and ABC, but what about the older kids that Dreamworks appealed to?

That wasn't the question that was asked, FYI. Not really keen to do free consulting/fanfic in any case, Ardent has folks like AEDP to do that for them.

7 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Despite this, it doesn't avoid the issue that licences are always going to cost money, and it's potentially better they put their funds towards new experiences, rather than paying licencing fees to retheme old ones.

The only area DW has a chance in beating MW, so you need to do it right. 

7 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Maybe Roblox

While I agree with you generally and I understand this is an idea for something that will never happen, Roblox is a terrible idea.

I also understand the hypocrisy since I let my son play, but Roblox has enough criticisms around the brand, ranging from labour exploitation in game development, paedophilia, overspending on robux, bullying and gambling to name a few.

Finally, technically Roblox is more a 'game engine' than a game, so (for lack of a better word) the IPs inside robloc are dynamic and the popular ones change frequently.

As I said, understand it was a random suggestion to a random idea thats already been decided on and in progress so this whole conversation is pointless, and add to the fact that I let my son play the game.

A better idea would be closer lined to Fortnite, Spyro, Crash, or something else that has been revived and being remade. 

19 minutes ago, Slick said:

That wasn't the question that was asked, FYI.

Oh, but it was - I asked it even before Baconjack's question. 

But even Baconjack's question asked for a Family IP, and while Bluey sure is popular, it doesn't really rise much above the pre-schooler age-group in appeal. 

21 minutes ago, Slick said:

Not really keen to do free consulting/fanfic in any case, Ardent has folks like AEDP to do that for them.

It's a discussion forum no? 

Like - feel free not to contribute if you feel your opinion should be paid for - but you weighed in on your own. Putting a price on a rebuttal is a bit of a cop out.

21 minutes ago, New display name said:

The only area DW has a chance in beating MW, so you need to do it right. 

Wait what? MW literally uses IP in everything that they do. Even the generic RIO BRAVO got a brand slapped on the side of it prior to opening. They've got historic ties with studios and distribution houses world wide, and while they may not necessarily be current, they've got a lot of history in that regard.

Prior to Nickelodeon, much of Dreamworld's attractions were generic, or own-themed. I don't see why they suddenly have to have an IP to compete (and to be honest, I don't think they ever could compete on IP given what the property down the road has access to), so why bother?

Why is an IP so essential to a kid?