Sky Voyager new themed experience

Rabbit2014

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

Brightening their image a little, and...

332553556_1156721601682711_5798222389219350102_n.thumb.jpg.a858382a7dee7540076ffbc6cb684e19.jpg

It's this: https://www.brogent.com/en/Ocean-mv-7.html

That's the exact movie being used for the advertising of their 'Q-Ride' system, and it can be found on Brogent's Digital Media/CGI Content page alongside 2 other movies they've made for VR (https://www.brogent.com/en/digitalmedia.html?cid=2). So, best case scenario, they're repurposing a VR/CGI movie to work with Sky Voyager's fixed screen for a limited time. Worst case scenario, they're stuck in the 2010's and have actually decided to retrofit SV to have VR. Really hoping it's the former.

Thankfully, it's the former.

1931834681_Screenshot(169).thumb.png.f6401026f97e5b1a62d09cddb710c40e.png

https://www.dreamworld.com.au/rides-attractions/dreamworld/family-rides/sky-voyager/

15 hours ago, Bloxay said:

Why run it for a limited time?

Because they're probably renting it \ pay per use, and they've brought it in to fill a gap while so much is under refurb. Heck, Soarin' brings back the 'Over California' film for the DCA food and wine festival, and only runs it for a limited time so maybe it isn't a cost thing and just a 'do something different' thing. 

Even if you consider the entire queue plus ride experience takes 30 minutes, this just doubled the experience time as you can ride twice with two different experiences in your day.

• Like 2

given everything else in Main Street still fits the theme, it honestly wouldn't take that much to retrofit the facade if they decided to do it.

They're retheming all of Dreamworks including changing a bunch of facades, so it can be done - they just have to WANT to do it.

it'd be a complete waste of money - and i'd stand and applaud them for reinstalling something like this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They're retheming all of Dreamworks including changing a bunch of facades

Are they, though? From the concept art & current construction progress, my thoughts were that the only facades that’re for sure being changed are the Parent Room that’s already open, and a slight change with Belinda’s Tree House.

3 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Are they, though? From the concept art & current construction progress, my thoughts were that the only facades that’re for sure being changed are the Parent Room that’s already open, and a slight change with Belinda’s Tree House.

Completely repainting/redesigning the artwork for a facade still counts as changing. Pandamonium may not have much of a "facade" but they are repainting it and changing the theming. That's the same thing happening to a majority of the dreamworks buildings and rides 

8 minutes ago, New display name said:

15 million for 2 small kids rides and a lick of paint.  Feels like DW would buy a glass of water while drowning.

That’s underselling it. That’s also for the splash pad, refurbishing the entire stage/seating, pathways, retheming and a lot of licks of paint 

4 hours ago, Stevie said:

Completely repainting/redesigning the artwork for a facade still counts as changing. Pandamonium may not have much of a "facade" but they are repainting it and changing the theming. That's the same thing happening to a majority of the dreamworks buildings and rides 

This is in the context of Sky Voyager, though, in which ‘changes’ would need to be much more than a new coat of paint.

10 hours ago, themagician said:

That’s underselling it. That’s also for the splash pad, refurbishing the entire stage/seating, pathways, retheming and a lot of licks of paint 

Licks of paint don't even cost that much. Its the people licking the paint that cost a bunch.

Side note, I think the phrase lick of paint is now lost on me.

11 hours ago, themagician said:

I could build 40 houses for 15m.  I really don't think DW are doing the equivalent of 40 new houses in the kids' area, so I don't think DW is spending 15m on the revamp.  If DW are spending 15m, DW is getting ripped off or, DW's maths doesn't add up or, DW are telling up porky pies.   

Just got off, not anything to write home about. Short description of the ride now (or at least, as far as I got into the ride, which’ll become clear in a moment): Only exterior difference is an A-frame advertising the change. Entering the interior queue line, it was the exact same aside from a projector being broken. There was no pre-‘flight’ (or, in this case, ‘pod’) show, the ride op did the safety briefing themselves. Movie is okay, some weird dithering around the edges and a few clear CGI mishaps (namely, some Delorean-looking car vanishing from existence in plain sight). You drop into the water off a helicopter w/ a little mist spray & jiggle, manta rays swim above you, you jiggle around a bit more & see dolphins corralling a shoal of fish, see the shapeshifting Delorean, get sucked into a rock, and… the ride crashed. Completely broke down. Speakers conked it, screen went blank, lights on. Stuck there for maybe 10-20 minutes til engineers came and manually reset it, which in of itself took a few tries. From the short bit I saw of the ride before it crashed, though, it’s not as good as the Australia one. But, as of now, the new film lasted just under 3 hours, which is at least longer than Leviathan.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Got to experience this temporary video last week. For what it was, it was decent. It’s good they offer another video/experience for a limited time extra offering, but the experience could’ve definitely benefitted from some more orchestrated music. It seemed to still had the same audio as the VR experience. The music during the final whale scene was good and it should’ve been like that throughout. 

Experienced this last weekend. Agree with the above comments. It's nowhere near as polished or grand as the original experience, but it's fine for what it is. My wife really enjoyed it. 

On 01/03/2023 at 2:09 PM, Tricoart said:

(namely, some Delorean-looking car vanishing from existence in plain sight)

Yeah that was a bit odd. I can only assume that it's an asset left over from another project that they forgot to cull.