Dreamworld Flyer

TBoy

If I were there at the night markets, as a tourist, and my kid wanted to go on it (spoiler alert: she absolutely would), then I would be willing to pay up to $10, as a once-off experience.

I've paid that much for those bungee trampolines that you see in shopping centres. That experience would also be held hostage to her actually eating a reasonable dinner that wasn't just 8 hot chips. So $10 for a victory like that is OK (to me).

If the night markets were a regular thing I was attending once a month or so, I think I would max out at $5.

Yeah I think $10 would get a bunch of once-offs but to operate it sustainably i think a slightly lower option (or a multi-pack of tickets for a bulk price) might be more palatable to locals who only visit the night markets. 

I think they'd do well to have an annual pass upgrade booth right beside the flyer ticket booth too - if you visit the market regularly, at $12 a week ($2 entry) it'd take less than 10 visits a year to make your $99 annual pass pay for itself (not to mention markets honour the passholder discount on drinks (and food bought from dreamworld outlets)... a great way to convert market visitors to passholders...

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I saw something this morning that showed the water fountains are also splashing the queue line quite considerably.

Gonna have to tweak that - folks aren't going to be keen on queueing in a rain shower... though they are still testing so we still don't know if this will be the final product.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I’m sure they’ll tweak it more, but @Ogre just posted a video of staff riding it and this is the puddle at the front of the queue area 

IMG_0863.thumb.jpeg.a74377f39da98e308a7123749c796dfa.jpeg

56 minutes ago, New display name said:

Do we know how much?

Before we find out a price, what would people pay to ride it?

I think $5 is a good price that will make it popular enough, but still make them some decent money. I think there’s 64 seats, so that’s a potential $320 per cycle if they fill every seat. And maybe they should have a ride all night ticket for maybe $15, which I think is low enough people would consider it if they want to ride it 3 or more times, but low enough that it isn’t a ‘Village Backwards Seat’ ripoff.

24 minutes ago, themagician said:

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I’m sure they’ll tweak it more, but @Ogre just posted a video of staff riding it and this is the puddle at the front of the queue area 

Given they're opening tomorrow I can't see them doing too much to tweak the fountains. My quick-fix thought is a sheet of perspex over the gates should deflect most of it - but that does spoil the view. Hopefully they only need it half height?

8 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

My quick-fix thought is a sheet of perspex over the gates should deflect most of it

I'm interested to know if it's like this through the whole queue (which I suspect it might) or if it's just pooling in this one area. If there is a fall in the queue area it should all fall back under the railing into the trough, or it's uneven and is falling into this one spot. Either way, perspex would be a quick fix, but I think it would be better (for deflect and look) to just have it full height.

Edited by themagician

43 minutes ago, themagician said:

I'm interested to know if it's like this through the whole queue (which I suspect it might) or if it's just pooling in this one area. If there is a fall in the queue area it should all fall back under the railing into the trough, or it's uneven and is falling into this one spot. Either way, perspex would be a quick fix, but I think it would be better (for deflect and look) to just have it full height.

It's all the way, on the plus side, the plants are loving their constant showers in chlorinated water.

8 hours ago, themagician said:

You’d think maybe a drain in that section of the queue which collects water and recycles it on the water jets would reduce water costs & eliminate this problem entirely?

Edited by Baconjack

9 hours ago, Baconjack said:

You’d think maybe a drain in that section of the queue which collects water and recycles it on the water jets would reduce water costs & eliminate this problem entirely?

Definitely would, but an even easier and cheaper option is to just have a fall in the floor so all the water falls back into the pool 

6 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

Solid ride, cycle approximately 3mins. I was at the front of the que for my second ride and did get a light mist at points but I certainly don’t feel that was an issue.

That’s a decent ride cycle time, should definitely make it feel like it’s worth it. Overall, I can’t imagine the ride queue will get too long because of how many riders it can get per cycle.

However, there are less double seats so it’s possible that queue could get quite long, but single seats will be quick.

The light mist will definitely be great in the summer heat, but was there pooling in the queue?

1 hour ago, themagician said:

The light mist will definitely be great in the summer heat, but was there pooling in the queue?

A fair bit of pooling at ride exit (which is between the ops booth and the que).

Slightly wet floor at the front of the general single que. Certainly less than the photo above, my understanding is the fountains have been "turned down" since initial staff testing. Ride Express que runs along the inside of the ride and was dry.

21 minutes ago, New display name said:

@Park Addict 93what's on everybody's lips is how is the loading procedure because that will determine the queue length?

2 staff checking restraints, didn't take too long. As soon as everyone exited from the previous cycle the double seat que was admitted, then the ride express then single.
Single seats simply have the restraint between legs, you can do your own seatbelt (*cough* Trident).

Edited by Park Addict 93
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gobbledok said:

Fair to keep in mind too that its been pretty windy and thats always going to be a challenge with these sorts of effects 

it'd be fair for park operators to keep in mind that wind on the coast is fairly consistent, and should probably be factored in at the design stage *cough trident cough*

I went along to the Grand Opening this morning and it was a well run show (as always, Dreamworld events are always well planned). Park opened at 10 but outside it had a sign saying the Flyer would open at 11. 11 rolled around and there were balloons hanging from the fence and Greg Yong came out to make the announcement. Greg strongly insinuated Big Red Boat will be open next week. We got on the first cycle which ran about 11:30 once the festivities were over. At the end the kids got some Lego and a Dreamworld prize (a couple of can coolers). Kids loved the ride, it's great fun, adds a lot of energy to the park and the soundtrack is great, it's a clear winner.

I think we should acknowledge that this was a bold decision, to remove the iconic pond and replace it with a ride that may seem similar to Gingy's Swings but it's going to be a huge success. The finishes are beautiful.

• Gazza changed the title to Dreamworld Flyer