Dreamworld Flyer

TBoy

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

that wind on the coast is fairly consistent

Not even remotely the wind swings direction sometimes daily and can go from 5 to 30knots in a matter if hours

I gather you really dont like the trident ride by how much it gets brought up but isnt this the place to talk about dream world

19 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Not even remotely the wind swings direction sometimes daily

I think @DaptoFunlandGuy meant it's consistent in the way that there is almost always wind (particularly at Sea World), not consistent in it's direction.

20 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

I gather you really dont like the trident ride

Does anyone? Other than providing a great view, I don't think it has much else going for it (even as a family attraction)

1 hour ago, Vidgamer said:

I think we should acknowledge that this was a bold decision, to remove the iconic pond and replace it with a ride that may seem similar to Gingy's Swings but it's going to be a huge success. The finishes are beautiful.

If you think looking pretty is a huge success, then sure, it's a huge success.   If you think success as driving sales up, I think you might be disappointed.   I know, I'm not rushing to DW to ride it.

The sharks are circling Gary Weiss.  At the last annually general meeting, shareholders were asking, where are the missing 1.2 million people?  It's been seven years and DW is nowhere near the 2.4 million customers a year it had before the accident.   

A question raised to Gary at the meeting  was "given the fixed costs, given the company is still losing money which is a chronic problem (and) the cash deposit is continuing to go down because of the losses … when do you think (you will achieve) the 2.4 million, which is the number you submitted to the market in a detailed list of objectives you had?”

Weis said it was “very difficult to make predictions about the future”.

“When we looked at Ardent and looked at the historical performance of other theme parks around the world where tragedy had occurred the anecdotal data suggested that there would be a reversion back to pre-tragedy attendances over a two to three-year period,” he said.

3 years recovery

+

3 years covid

=

6 years.   

DW should be back at 2.4 million now but DW is only halfway there.  What is going wrong?

(quotes taken from https://inqld.com.au/business/2023/11/08/dreamworld-boss-under-pressure-what-happened-to-the-2-4m-people-you-promised/)

Edited by New display name

13 minutes ago, New display name said:

DW should be back at 2.4 million now but DW is only halfway there.  What is going wrong?

I think it still comes back to the fact that the GP still have the impression that they haven't replaced all the attractions they closed and the park is looking run down.

For the first point, they would be right. They still need another four (at a minimum) attractions to get the ride count back up to what it was pre-2016 (and that's after the addition of Jungle Rush), but they need to have some major hero attractions. The park was known for rides like River Rapids, Rocky Hollow, Wipeout and TOT, and I think after they were all demolished (which I do unfortunately agree needed to happen) that's really when people started to say 'there's nothing to do'. Out of everything that was announced in November last year, I think the only hero attraction is Jungle Rush. Everything else is warranted and adds good value, but most guests aren't going to rush to the park for Dreamland or Flyer. Jungle Rush is probably the only exception to that providing the marketing is pushed really hard and the ride is actually very good.

For the second point, I think they have been working very hard over the past couple of years to rectify that, but until they get people back into the park, that perception will remain. I think that's one of the reasons why they have the night markets, to get people into the park to see how good it's looking. The areas of the park they are showing off during the night markets are looking good, however there are areas that still need a lot of work (back of Ocean Parade and former Rocky Hollow area), but that will come in time (but they need to hurry, otherwise it's going to take a lot longer than they hope to get back to the 2.4million guests).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Park Addict 93 said:

Ride Express que runs along the inside of the ride and was dry.

I'm hearing that by around 12pm, the Ride Express queue was DRENCHED.

1 hour ago, Gobbledok said:

Not even remotely the wind swings direction sometimes daily and can go from 5 to 30knots in a matter if hours

I gather you really dont like the trident ride by how much it gets brought up but isnt this the place to talk about dream world

Magician is correct - wind is a constant thing on the coast. It might not be the same direction or strength, but it is always a factor - something parks should be accounting for. It's not sufficient to design an attraction around absolute calm weather as that almost never happens. 

Discussion on Parkz is going to ebb and flow (much like the wind) and where there is relevant comparison, other parks are going to get drawn into the discussion for doing similar, comparable things. Trident is very relevant to a discussion about wind not being taken into account. Feel free to scroll on by if you don't want to discuss it.

37 minutes ago, New display name said:

3 years recovery + 3 years covid = 6 years.   

There's one small flaw in your math there. 

3 years botched recovery from a bizarre and clueless recovery plan + 3 years covid + 3 years of actually competent and planned recovery = 9 years.  It's only the last 3 years of that that makes a difference - and we're only at the end of the first year of that. Let's see where the park is at in 2026.

*To be clear, the botched recovery is also their fault, and they should wear it. I'm not saying we should excuse the first three years where they tried to build ampitheatres and shaded seating, lazy rivers and reopening the mine ride, but if we're going to ask where the guests are, where the recovery is - it's happening now... just three years later than it should have (or six, since, if they'd been competent they'd have approached recovery prior to the start of covid).

Edited by DaptoFunlandGuy
  • Like 1

@themagicianI believe Ardent is holding back with its approach to DW’s recovery.    To me it looks like Ardent believe or did believe they could get back to 2.4m guest with half a park. 

Not only does DW require getting the attractions back to where they were before 2016 but it’s essential DW adds to the pre 2016 attractions just for DW to overcome the damage and negativity Ardent caused to DW’s reputation, to get anywhere close to 2.4m.  I wonder if GW can hang on that long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, themagician said:

I assume that means it's $10 for unlimited rides each night. I think that's very reasonable and will do very well.

(Sorry for replying so late) Though that would be good, it’s not the case. $10 for a single ride on DF or Dodgems, $15 for a single ride on both.

IMG_6590.thumb.jpeg.9bf7d8191d76888c49325698dfe4af90.jpeg

56 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Now that it's open, probably worth starting a new thread on the flyer - since there's no more 'construction' to update...

Presumably the mods will split it off at some point.

So the way Flyer works for Passholders at Night Markets is your pass is scanned at ride entry and you are issued a wristband that allows you to ride for the rest of the night, this same staff member is also selling the single ride tickets.

• Gazza changed the title to Dreamworld Flyer
  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Smol bean said:

Logo has been like that for about month or so on the website. Wouldn't be surprised to see a more drastic rebrand (i.e. Ads, Logo at the ticket booths ect.) with the retro styled logo for when the Jungle Rush marketing ramps up later in the year.

I’ll see if I can find it, but I believe they’ve already used it in ads I’ve seen on YouTube.