Do-Dodonpa Permanently Closes at Fuji-Q

After temporarily closing in 2021 due to report of rides being injured by coaster, it has confirmed today that Do-Dodonpa at Fuji-Q in Japan has permanently closed.

For those who don’t know, this was the fastest accelerating launch coaster in the world reaching 180km/h in just 1.56 seconds. It’s sad to see such a unique and impressive coaster close. Did anyone on here ever get to ride it and if so, what was that launch and the whole coaster like?

IMG_3398.thumb.jpeg.16faa54721e0618ebb31b76591a0a84a.jpeg

Edited by themagician
  • Like 2

From my trip report end of 2019

Do-Dodonpa – A launch so fast your brain doesn’t process it for a second, and one of the few rides I’ve had an oh gawd moment on (prior to the launch) The train does bounce around a bit, so its an experience, but probably wouldn’t want to be  much longer. I did 2 laps, including one with a fast pass from the vending machine out front of the ride.

e77cd87585736b721b8ac1afbf4c64a5.jpg

df7c8ec6e59a94e56c771ca779ab0cdf.jpg

I rode something that I believe had similar technology at Old Town in Florida called G-Force which was basically a sedan shaped race car on a flat track that accelerated in a straight line. That really took me by surprise, so I can only imagine how crazy Dodonpa was.

I hear Moonsault Scramble at Fuji-Q was pretty crazy too, some said it should be illegal lol.

I feel a bit sad realising I will never be able to experience the fastest accelerating coaster in the world. It's likely that no coaster will ever be able to beat its record, as many manufacturers would not want to make a coaster that accelerates as fast as that due to the injuries.

In fact, its a bit sad that the fast accelerating launch coasters are slowly disappearing, with their replacements being LSMs which launch much slower.