Big Brother Axed.. what will happen to DW?

stardust

It's time to go ... Big Brother Canberra Times 14/07/2008 10:26:00 AM It's time to go, Big Brother. Network Ten has today confirmed it's often controversial reality TV program will be axed after eight years on the air. The current series, which wraps up on July 21, will be the last. In a statement issued today, Ten's chief programming officer, David Mott, confirmed the speculation which emerged on a Big Brother-related internet website yesterday. "After eight successful seasons and 1,316 episodes, Ten today announced that Big Brother will not be returning in 2009," the Network Ten statement reads. "The 2008 season finale will air on Monday 21 July." Mr Mott also said the series was "ending on a high" despite flagging viewer numbers, and persistent questions by fans over the selection of radio personalities Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O to compere the 2008 series. They replaced Gretel Killeen, who had hosted the show since the first episode. "Big Brother is the undisputed grand-daddy of modern, commercial reality television in Australia," Mr Mott also said. "Today's reality dramas have all, on some level, been inspired by Big Brother. We are immensely proud of the show and the incredible success it has enjoyed since premiering in 2001. "We're ending the season on a high, largely thanks to the talents of Kyle and Jackie O, who have presented yet another successful season." Sandilands and Jackie O had come under fire from hundreds of fans on Big Brother forums and websites, with many calling for Killeen to be reinstated. Speculation of the show's axeing started late yesterday on the internet website, Behind Big Brother. "Our sources inside the Big Brother compound tell us the announcement was unexpected for the BB producers, who did what they felt was in the best interests of the show and believed this year would be a season benchmark," the website said. "We have also been informed the Big Brother concept will return to Channel 10. However, this won't be seen until at least 2010. No word on whether this project is part of the Endemol Big Brother franchise." In Big Brother, a group of people are locked inside a house and filmed 24 hours a day at Dreamworld theme park on the Gold Coast before being voted off week by week over about thre months. The concept runs in a number of countries, starting in the Netherlands in 1999. The ratings for Big Brother have dwindled this year, although the introduction last week of international sex symbol Pamela Anderson gave it its best results of the season.

So the best news in TV ever, BB has been axed :D What will happen to the space the house occupies?
Hopefully the house will be converted to rubble, and an actual decent attraction built in its place. Knowing DW though I'd bet that they'd do something like leave the house standing as a permanent walk through. Edited by Gazza

Yeah. There would be no real point in ditching the Big Brother Arena. The area could be used for functions or concerts as it has been used for in the past, such as The Wiggles concerts and more. Also the arena has actually been part of dreamworld for a while before Big Brother. I wonder if Ten would have to pay Dreamworld a lump sum due to terminating there contract early. If so I wonder how much it could be and how it would be used. I can just say the next few months after Big Brother finishes could be interesting...

I think it's going to be very unpredictable, as to what DW will do with the area. If precedent is anything to go by - it can remain SBNO for between 2 and 18 months, before demolition without ceremony. (ala Thunderbolt and Eureka). Admin: Any chance that the two threads on this topic can be merged

Im sure Dreamworld will find a use for the Studio.. Its quite a functional space, and as mentioned before It does get used from time to time for other concerts and the like, as well as park events and awards nights etc. I think they are smarter than to let it just sit there. As for Big Brother, Good Riddance. Its just a pain to have around more than anything, and interest in it has dwindled significantly with each consecutive year. Now the main people who come in for the Big Brother attractions are the regulars, dubbed 'The Freaks' who are in every single week without fail to chase ex-housemates who are in, annoy park staff and then hang around for their grass seats for the eviction. Its pitiful.

I wonder if Ten would have to pay Dreamworld a lump sum due to terminating there contract early. If so I wonder how much it could be and how it would be used. I can just say the next few months after Big Brother finishes could be interesting...
You would most likely find that the contract was conditional on the show actually continuing and probably a whole host of other conditions. Given how tumultuous the television industry is I can't see there being a contract which would reward either party in regards to the house location if the show is cancelled. Good riddance. Surely this has been a long time coming and perhaps Ten will finally start to be a bit daring in programming and add some variety to the airwaves instead of nine months of the year being dominated by three shows.

Hell yeah! :D So glad that the show is disappearing! Hopefully the hole left in MLE's pocket encourages them to focus more on the reason most of us go to Dreamworld; for the rides. Stupid reality TV shows... I really hope they don't leave it there as a 'museum' or something lame.

But lets not forget Big Brother was only axed by TEN that still doesn't mean that there's a slight chance that it could be picked up by another channel
Ten was the only network dumb enough to keep running it. They finally came to their senses. :P I doubt it will be picked up by another network.

I reckon it will go to another network. Seven or Nine will pick it up but it will need to be reworked to make it new - and part of that I think will be to change the location of the house. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a payout made to Dreamworld. Most shows that work on repeat contracts have long term deals to drive prices down. I worked on a certain national television show two years ago that was planned to do a three year run. It failed after one, and the network responsible had to foot the bill for a good chunk of the three year contracts that were done with the venue and gear suppliers. One interesting thing tho is that if another network get the rights to the show and moved the location, it is pretty much a certainty that DW wouldn't be able to advertise the venue as being a "Big Brother" venue as they would no longer have any rights to the name. In theory if this happens quickly after the production ends this year, the end of the current BB compound as we know it could disappear within weeks after the production. And as a final note, It could very well be a case of ESS have to return the land on which the house has been built to its original condition following the completion of filming - another standard TV arrangement.

So the best news in TV ever, BB has been axed
Fixed :P As for what happens to the space, I don't know. Sort of hard to reuse something purpose built for a show like that. Maybe a new "thrill" ride as a haunted house of sorts with darkish lighting and people dressed up as Gretel jumping out and scaring guests. Or as mentioned sit there for a few years with nothing happening and remain on the park map for a year until it "mysteriously disappears". One less thing for people who are interested in it to do on that side of the park making it somewhat lop sided for attractions now. DW really need to put something new over there to spread the guests a bit more around the park instead of all in Ocean Parade/Nick Central area of the park.

Remember - for the 2007 season of Big Brother there was a bidding war between 10 and 7 for the rights. Some claimed that this was channel 7's way of driving up the price of big brother for 10, to limit the other programming, others believe channel 7 really did want it. A move to channel 7 may happen, so i wouldn't rule it out just yet. As the studios are built, and will be empty, channel 7 would be stupid to relocate from Dreamwold

FIRTHER TO MY EMAIL ABOVE - taken from Behind Big Brother In an update to our earlier post, Behindbigbrother has learnt that executives at Network Seven have been busy this morning holding internal discussions into the possibility of taking on the show. We’re told that executives at the network are extremely interested in negotiating with Southern Star Endemol the possibility of locking in the show for 2009 and/or beyond. The meetings this morning included discussions on the highest possible price the network could bid for the show, potential hosts and producers, possible audience loss/gain and other minor details. Possible hosts for the show include those currently featured on the show but not contracted to Ten, such as Fitzy and Bree. Hosts such as Mike Goldman have contracts with Ten, not SSE. If Seven were to take over the show their current planning would see the compound remain at Dreamworld along with all evictions and live content. All shows would be split across Seven’s three channels - 7 Digital, 7HD, and 7SD2. The daily shows would be situated at 7:30pm following the network’s flagship Home & Away. Official discussions between SSE and Seven cannot occur until at least July 22 - when BB08 wraps up. The Seven Network and Network Nine both declined to give Behindbigbrother any official comment.

Well, it would be good to see the Audatorium become a Dreamworld facility, rather than a Big Brother facility again. Have it re-fitted so functions such as the type which can be had in the "Dream Room" are easily possible (not sure if this is already possible), and then finally demolish the Blue Lagoon, and do something constructive and creative on the land (expansion/ re-theme of Gold Rush anyone?) I know I have said it before, but what that side needs is an expansion, with a flat ride in the area of the Chairlift station (if this is possible), expansion into the Blue Lagoon Area with an innovative coaster, a Re-theme of the Giant Drop to suit a Gold Rush theme (I am sure this is possible) and re-name Rocky Hollow to Goldrush, add some gold rush props on the Log ride, and we have a decent themed area. However I am expecting to see a Big Brother museum though (conditions permitting) and am expecting Dreamworld to stretch it out as far as they can, then have the venue's sit idle for about a year, then demolish/ remove/ refit the facilities for their next use.

Edited by T-bone