Green Lantern Coaster

joz

do you really think adding 2 deg would increase international numbers? Nothing personal but at a guess 1% of the world population are theme park fans, the rest enjoy going to theme parks just like going shopping or to a sports game and trust me adding 2 deg to a coaster drop isn't going to be a tourist reason for visiting Australia.

Think about the media attention. When the one in Japan opened everyone knew about it. When ever a new roller coaster has bigger stats then a past coaster then it makes world wide news. It captures peoples attention and puts a focus on the park for world wide publicity.

Everyone on this forum keeps saying 'General public, ohhh, general public', but seriously, I think you all have it around the wrong way. WE'RE probably the ones who don't care about the steepest drop as much, because we know, it's only 1 or 2 degrees. The general public though, what would sound better? Steepest drop in the Southern Hemisphere or Steepest drop in the WORLD? Giant Drop gains world wide attention for world's tallest and fastest free fall ride. I'm sure Movie World would also want this attention. But in saying that, I understand why they couldn't change it once Takashiba was announced.

I agree with what Ian said. Couple of points. -What's the point of going after international publicity if it doesn't actually translate into visits? Takabisha was on the news, but I bet nobody now, except enthusiasts could name the park it is located in, or even the name of the ride itself, other than "that coaster in Japan". How many people have actually since gone and planned a trip to Fuji Queue as a result? -The steepest drop record has been broken a few times now, with parks spiting each other by 1 degree basically every time. Every time S&S built an El Loco, they added an extra degree. Where was the international media coverage for the 5 or so times it has happened already? Either of you heard of Vild Svinet for instance? (No cheating!) Following on from this, I reckon the only reason Takashiba made the news is because its one of "Those crazy Japanese" type stories. -Making the ride 1 degree steeper wont make the ride better now. It's a blatantly foamy suggestion, just like the people who were saying GD should be made taller to "win back" the record from SFMM at the time that Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom was announced.

Edited by Gazza

^Jet rescue is good though.

What I meant to say is that two parks put in similiar coasters, even though I'm led to believe Jet Rescue is superior (I haven't been on either yet). I get the impression the GC parks don't think they need to add a single uber attraction ($15 million +) to meet growth targets. Bottom line is they are businesses.

It makes me a little mad that Dreamworld spent $17 million on 2 crappy coasters when they could've got a decent world class one for that price especially with our strong dollar right now.

Um yeah I'd love to sit down with the person who chose Dreamworld's new additions over the last few years and ask "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?". I honestly believe just about any member of these forums could choose better/more effective/more successful rides within the budget allocated. That's how much faith I have. Movie World/Village Roadshow on the other hand, they should just keep on doing what they're doing. As evidenced by this great new coaster... they are choosing well

It makes me a little mad that Dreamworld spent $17 million on 2 crappy coasters when they could've got a decent world class one for that price especially with our strong dollar right now.

$17 million where did you pull that number from. It was less then $10 million for both.

I agree with what Ian said. Couple of points. -What's the point of going after international publicity if it doesn't actually translate into visits? Takabisha was on the news, but I bet nobody now, except enthusiasts could name the park it is located in, or even the name of the ride itself, other than "that coaster in Japan". How many people have actually since gone and planned a trip to Fuji Queue as a result? -The steepest drop record has been broken a few times now, with parks spiting each other by 1 degree basically every time. Every time S&S built an El Loco, they added an extra degree. Where was the international media coverage for the 5 or so times it has happened already? Either of you heard of Vild Svinet for instance? (No cheating!) Following on from this, I reckon the only reason Takashiba made the news is because its one of "Those crazy Japanese" type stories. -Making the ride 1 degree steeper wont make the ride better now. It's a blatantly foamy suggestion, just like the people who were saying GD should be made taller to "win back" the record from SFMM at the time that Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom was announced.

Media attention brings in more customers then you may think, as it advertises the park to a whole new audience. So more people learn about the park as very few people overseas even know our parks. Also the GD and TOT would of done the same thing. IT may not be long term but in the short term is increases the numbers significantly. Just look at Formula Rossa, It has attracted many tourists to the park, considering its in the middle of a desert in a country many people would not consider even visiting. I doubt the park would be anywhere near as successful if the ride was not there.

$17 million where did you pull that number from. It was less then $10 million for both.

$10m for Motocoaster, $7m for Buzzsaw.

Media attention brings in more customers then you may think, as it advertises the park to a whole new audience. So more people learn about the park as very few people overseas even know our parks.

Very few people would visit Australia for the sole purpose of visiting one of our parks though. The tourists that do come here will already have them penciled in on their itinerary. Having the steepest drop record is not going to change that... it just isn't as impressive as tallest/fastest IMO. Edited by Flea

$10m for Motocoaster, $7m for Buzzsaw. Very few people would visit Australia for the sole purpose of visiting one of our parks though. The tourists that do come here will already have them penciled in on their itinerary. Having the steepest drop record is not going to change that... it just isn't as impressive as tallest/fastest IMO.

Same reason people go to the us to go on the oasis of the seas

Just look at Formula Rossa, It has attracted many tourists to the park, considering its in the middle of a desert in a country many people would not consider even visiting. I doubt the park would be anywhere near as successful if the ride was not there.

The park hasn't been sucessful to begin with. Lol. I wouldn't consider the UAE just any desert county.... It's a global hotspot, well it was until the global financial crisis.

Maybe not a huge hit but it is beating their expectation for the park and do u always haven to find the smallest thing, even if it is so small that it shouldn't matter or have no importance to the topic

Lol u mad bro? The way I see it, Australia as a country gets only 6 Mil tourists per year. Our theme parks get say 1-1.3 Mil Each. Internationals going to our theme parks then constitute a fraction of that. The biggest single visitor international group is of course, the Kiwis, and I don't see them as a market particularly swayed by a worlds first claim (And on the flipside, steepest in the Southern hemisphere applies to them too). They would be visiting our theme parks anyway, much for the same reasons as people from interstate in Aus do it ,or the reasons why Brits overrun Orlando, because they're there and its known. So that leaves people from Europe, the Americas and Asia. No one from there is really going to fly long haul just for the steepest drop.

^ I do agree with Gazza on this one. The parks' visitation is about 40 - 46% (saw it on an ASX early this year/late last) from 'locals' (Which I think is Queensland & Northern NSW Post Codes). Then a large amount would be interstate. A smaller amount from New Zealand. Asia isn't too far behind for tourists to the Gold Coast and the TINIEST percent would be from other places like Europe and Americas.

Yes but if our park started making something unique, the parks can turn those stats around but currently there is no reason for people to visit the parks as other countries have the same rides, or very similar rides.

Xcelerator is taller and faster but I much prefer Superman as, even though it's the "same ride", it's a higher quality coaster overall. Same could be said for Scooby. Fairly common attractions made unique by the way VRTP has executed the theming, customized the layout etc. Now we're getting an El Loco that will also be unique -- steeper drop, 4 across seating, lap bars, in-seat audio and heavier banking on the "reverse bank" turn among other small yet fantastic improvements. The guys in charge of ride selection are not purposely avoiding B&M. I guarantee you that they would also love a stand-up, flyer or wingrider in the park, but the reality is that there's a budget, and they've done a brilliant job with what they've been allocated. Edited by Flea

I love how so many conversations on the boards loop around and back to the same fundemental problem everytime. Our theme parks are severly capped by the total capital expenditure they can ever spend in a single year. They will never be able to afford anything much over and above what they are already building. Everyone's ideas are fantastic and valid but its just not realistic and wont happen. I go back to the simple fact if you want to expereince the biggest, the fastest, the longest, the tallest scream machines... start saving because you need to go OS to experience large scale record breaking coasters......