Green Lantern Coaster

joz

Coaster or not this is going to be a mighty fun ride. Love the Trains with the extra features and the fact that once again MW are opening a beefed up version of an existing ride model to provide Aussie theme park lovers with the best we could ever hope for. They'll get around to opening up more family/dark rides but right now at least public demand has asked for another Coaster for the Park. I am sure most out there cannot wait to give it a go and it will most certainly serve the park well for some time

Re: the lights pointless in daylight comment, note how bright they look in a convention centre flooded with fluorescents. I've no doubt that they'll be visible in daylight. Not to sound like a fanboy but I'm seriously blown away by the amount of effort that has gone into these cars. I can't wait to see the station and accompanying queue.

Funny, when there were details emerging of just how cool this ride was going to be no one had anything to say. On board audio? That's awesome, and something extra Movie World have done to make the ride better that no one has made comment on. Pulsing LEDs on the frot of each car, extra capacity, lapbars, and the second steepest drop in the world gets no response on here but as soon as you see a spot to post a negative comment, in it goes. Such a disappointing attitude from people who claim to like parks.

I agree with you there 100% joz, Im sorry but how many of you have really taken a step back to really look at the products we have received this year; - Buzzsaw - Shockwave - Green Lantern - Nickelodeon (Which includes) -New Dora show -New Parade beyond anything ever to this standard in Australia! -New Aqua Slash zone themed to Nick at the Sea World Resort - The Announcment of all the additions/Changes at Dreamworld for DreamWorks - New AOS show with all new production enhancements and upgrades - A bigger and better Halloween Fright Nights - Soon to come another spectacular 9 nights of White Christmas - Sesame Street Beach getting all new themeing and a serious dose of sprucing! - Jet Stunt Extreme Not to mention I know for a fact that VRTP hasn't gone half ass on the products there providing this christmas. There all going to be nothing short of spectacular. You have to stop and really think yes we may have lost 3 attractions which were to the point were we are looking at ride systems close to 20 years in age that were just far beyond repair. But its not as if the company sat on there ass and did NOTHING!!! There is time like MickeyD mentioned to open up more family/dark attractions but at this point in time the above 11 things are what are parks are focused on. Are you really going to sit there and say they need to be doing more at this stage? I bet that planning is probably underway for everything that is to happen next year, changes to lethal is chugging around the rumour mill. What will we see come of BT, LTRR & BTAR? I know that everything that is happing for Nick has been in works for over a year now. I could imagine Green Lantern just as long. These projects take time, Money and a lot of hard work by people we don't even take time to consider who bring us some pretty freaking awesome attractions. Not always will they be "World class" but they are pretty dam good for our market and what we can afford and work with in this current financial state. To finish this off take a look at this time last year; - White Christmas a sold out smash!!! - Castaway Bay a real themeing spectacle that we hadn't seen in a long time featuring 3 attractions - Penguin Encounter - 4 Looping waterslides, Aqua Loop - 3 pay per play attractions at W'n'W - A amped up Halloween Fright Nights with our first set of Franchised Mazes - Illuminate - New 4D Movie Journey to the Centre of the Earth - New 3D Movie Happy Feet - The lair, new exhibit at Dreamworld - The wedgie new water slide for WWW - TOT II Yet while we were seeing all this unravel this years new Attractions and Events were being put together. You can't sit there and tell me that your atleast a little satisfied by what our parks are doing with what they possibly can. Quite your complaining!!! Added TOT II to the list really shows how we kinda forget the stuff that has actually been done!! Edited by S.Willie

Yeah I gotta agree with joz and S.Willie here. I do think that this is the greatest time to be a theme park fan, both locally and internationally. While there have been things taken away, and a lot of stuff we are still waiting for, we have to expect that great things are to come in the next year or so from our local parks. I understand coaster overload. I much prefer theme over thrills myself, but from what I see MW are keen on giving us both. While I would prefer a dark ride, I'm still loving the current developments! Bring on Green Lantern!!

Not to mention.... who cares? (if you can't see the LEDs in daylight) If it can't be seen during general operation, it'll be a great effect for fright nights and white christmas. The trains will have on board power to run the audio, so why not plug in some low-powered LEDs?

Edited by AlexB

To finish this off take a look at this time last year; - White Christmas a sold out smash!!! - Castaway Bay a real themeing spectacle that we hadn't seen in a long time featuring 3 attractions - Excellent addition, awesome themeing, spend most of my day at Seaworld there, especially since the pirate themed wedding we had 3 years ago. Definately the greatest addition in the parkz over the year. It is a family area where younger and older kids can do their own things as well as part of the family. - Penguin Encounter - While I like the idea and it is interesting to see them change the building from one exhibit to another, the top viewing area having only one entry/exit point is a serious design flaw. - 4 Looping waterslides, Aqua Loop - Which have a great operational record and most people I know complain they will not go on them again due to injuries received from the slides. - 3 pay per play attractions at W'n'W - Pay per play? Seriously? Is this like toll roads where they didn't actually have the money to cover the purchase so it will be paid off over time by people paying to use it? - A amped up Halloween Fright Nights with our first set of Franchised Mazes - Which are still being horribly oversold from comments of people I know that have been. - Illuminate - New 4D Movie Journey to the Centre of the Earth - As mentioned in another thread by someone else, a cut down version of a poor film to make a decent 4D experience. However I personally enjoy this experience. - New 3D Movie Happy Feet - Yet to see as I have no interest but sure families with young children would love it. - The lair, new exhibit at Dreamworld - Which saw White Lions while their exhibit elsewhere was being refurbished. What has been in there since other than the tigers? - The wedgie new water slide for WWW - TOT II - Have not been on this since it became TOTII. Yet while we were seeing all this unravel this years new Attractions and Events were being put together. You can't sit there and tell me that your atleast a little satisfied by what our parks are doing with what they possibly can. Quite your complaining!!! Added my comments along side yours to show I don't simply bitch and whinge about everything our parkz do. Yes they have made some fantastic additions over the years, I have never said they haven't. What I have been saying is along the lines of Themeparknut2011's comment. The recent influx of rollercoasters into our parkz is creating a coaster overload feel. I am and have always been a shows and themeing over rides person, always will be. While I am really looking forward to the themeing that will be put alongside GL, I am not excited about the coaster itself.

Re: the lights pointless in daylight comment, note how bright they look in a convention centre flooded with fluorescents. I've no doubt that they'll be visible in daylight.

^ Exactly my thoughts. With all these extra features/add-ons it's clear that WVTP's wanted to create something special with Green Lantern. They've used up their budget very, very carefully....Buying an El Loco left MW with enough money to expand upon an off-the-shelf coaster; area themeing, working with s&s to engineer new 4 across lap-bar only cars, on-board audio and lighting, a steeper drop. It's practically turned it into another design. I'm impressed that we are getting something like this in Aus...sometimes it seems a little too good to be true! The last couple years have been great for our parks. Going through the list above refreshed my memory...kinda crazy how much has happened compared to other years. I must say my favourite editions would be the revamp of TOT and Castaway Bay. Yes there have been lots, but not all have been amazing additions. I think we expect our parks to perform at the level of big international parks....even I am guilty of this. And then we are disapointed to see a Maurer Sohne X-Car coaster go into DW instead of a B&M. The problem is that it'll never happen, and I've learnt to lower my expectations. Instead of thinking "lets see how Movieworld compares to Universal and Disney", think "i'm going to enjoy Movieworld for what it is". Edited by Luke

Couple of other things that got missed. - Sheep shearing show at DW - Skull rock 3D I don't think it's coaster overload. We only get 1 every 4-5 years or so, and that is literally how it has always been. Looking back at that list of additions, only 2 of them in the past two years have been coasters, so they are in the minority... And there hasn't even been any other "thrill" rides in that mix.... We'd have to go back to 2006, with Batwing for that. Cedar Point, with 17 coasters, or SF Magic Mountain, also with 17, is coaster overload.

I don't think it's coaster overload. We only get 1 every 4-5 years or so, and that is literally how it has always been.

Except when 5/7 rides at MW are coasters. Remembering they are closing the other rides and attractions to put these things in. Yes I know space doesn't allow it but if they were complimenting the rides line up instead of replacing it making it 5/10 which would still include a selection of family rides as well.

^ But this ride hasn't replaced any other rides.... we have just seen closures of other rides in the park, which because we haven't heard anything from the park no one actually knows the real reason for their closures! Something could have come up which was unavoidable! Have a little faith in the parks, look at the shows, events and parades they have provided us, I think it shows they are interested in something more than just theme parks. Scooby is also a family ride, that replaced a family ride and before someone says Sooby is a coaster Gremlins wasn't. I remember when I was young I was not such a huge fan of that ride! Also with the location, whats so wrong with it, we haven't even seen the final product of it. I do love those trains though, they've made the ride look that much more exciting. But MW have always gone beyond with their trains Superman pushing the trains and trains like of the Sccoby movie.

Edited by Original

- 3 pay per play attractions at W'n'W - Pay per play? Seriously? Is this like toll roads where they didn't actually have the money to cover the purchase so it will be paid off over time by people paying to use it?

No actually - you put a toll on something that will see a lot of use, and allow each user to repay a small part of the construction cost. In this case, the pay-per-play attractions have pathetic capacity - handling 1-2 people every 5 minutes or so each. If it were included in the cost of entry, the queue would never drop below 5 hours. You'd be in line all day... By charging extra, you drop out the people who would just do it because it's there, and restrict it's patronage to those who seriously want to have a go.

- New 3D Movie Happy Feet - Yet to see as I have no interest but sure families with young children would love it.

I am and have always been a shows and themeing over rides person, always will be.

Can I ask what you'd classify Happy Feet 3D as? It sure as hell isn't a ride, so - a show?... That yet, you have no interest in. So what you're really saying is you want the parks to build more shows that YOU'RE interested in?

Can I ask what you'd classify Happy Feet 3D as? It sure as hell isn't a ride, so - a show?... That yet, you have no interest in. So what you're really saying is you want the parks to build more shows that YOU'RE interested in?

Yet to see as no interest but families with small children... I have no current interest however with the wife currently pregnant I am sure that once we have a young child this would be something that would become an interest to my family. Shows and themeing over rides. Meaning I prefer them over rides. Doesn't mean I have to like them all. How is it any different to the people in these forums that say the love coasters yet dislike MDMC? I did not say they need to just build more stuff I'm, sorry, I'M interested in, that would just be stupid. They need to look at how they do their polls because they are obviously missing a great chunk of the public opinion. I work in the hospitality industry where we provide accomodation for many thousands of tourists each year. The comments I make, as I have said before, are also the comments that have been made to me by these people that stay at our hotel and attend the parkz. Edited by Wyncenuros

Scooby is also a family ride, that replaced a family ride

But a family of 5 including smaller children cannot all ride Scooby together can they? The smaller children don't meet the height restrictions on Scooby where they would have on Gremlins. How is this still a family ride if the whole family cannot go on it? It brings us back to the babysitting fiasco previously mentioned.

OK, we all know your opinion, and your reasons for it. It's not an invalid opinion, but I think we're all over reading about it in this thread. This is the thread for talking about the Green Lantern coaster, not the thread for complaining about Movie World's evolution from being exclusively a family park to a thrills based park. Thank you, have a nice day. :)

^^ But when I was a small child I HATED Gremlins and I refused to go on it, so how was it a family ride for everyone if not everyone could? That then brought our family back to the babysitting fiasco. The same went for our family with bermuda Triangle. Actually reading the comments on Youtube of videos of Gremlins the majority of people there comment how much the ride freaked them out when they used to ride it; so I don't think height restrictions when the ride just plain freaked small kids out! Also, Scooby's seating, you can always go in 2 cars 3 in one, 2 in the other, whats the big deal; every time I go with friends or family we quite often have to split up. I never hear anyone complaining about it and see plenty of other people doing it; I found that that just an excuse to complain about something. I think I remember the ride was 4 across seating? So how can they all ride together? Someone would left be in there own row or you go 3 and 2 again. In terms of taking the comments from people who are visiting I think one thing I've learned as has been pointed out on here numerous times before people are just going to complain no matter what and people hate change. If we were getting a new show or dark ride people would still be complaining (Hollywood Stunt Driver)! However, I just had someone come back from the GC and the parks and had nothing positive to say, apart from missing Scooby being down for maintenance. Back to Green Lantern I'm hoping I'll be back up there sometime after it opens, but when it has died down. :D Reading the trip reports off TPR from IAAPA they seem to be really liking these new trains; it makes you feel proud that we can create something that can get people from across the world excited! I'm looking forward to seeing how the surrounding area looks and what it will be like getting across to the ride!

Bingo. Looked to be about the size of the old batman store. So this thing has 7 cars? Anyone else reckon its so they could say have 6 at all times, with 1 having work done on it. Pretty hard to see 7 running without extreme stacking.

I would say 5-6 cars running for comfortable operation, ie the 1st at load, 2nd unload, 3rd at the final run between the 2nd last to final trimstation, whilst the 4th ascending the lift hill and 5th in full flight. A 6th and 7th car perhaps awaiting dispatch beyond load, between the load/unload points or banked up behind unload. You can only go as fast as your slowest point and in the case of GL that will be the dispatch intervals. I expect these will be amazingly quick given no guest will have loose articles together with the spacious design of the cars allowing fast and comfortable boarding Edited by MickeyD

Bingo. Looked to be about the size of the old batman store. So this thing has 7 cars? Anyone else reckon its so they could say have 6 at all times, with 1 having work done on it. Pretty hard to see 7 running without extreme stacking.

On the TPR IAAPA Trade Show interview it says 'the batteries in the cars (for audio and lights) have 9 minutes run time, before needing a 90 second charge'. Won't this limit the rides overall capacity?

On the TPR IAAPA Trade Show interview it says 'the batteries in the cars (for audio and lights) have 9 minutes run time, before needing a 90 second charge'. Won't this limit the rides overall capacity?

The ride doesn't go for 9 mins, so presumably they'll need less than 90 secs anyway. Even with a full 90 second charge, I can't see a capacity reduction .... The charging rails will begin say at the block brake before the station, and continue right through the unload and load sections. I reckon It's gonna take at least 90 seconds for cars to clear this whole process anyway, and they'll be recieving charge the entire time.

Even lithium batteries will suffer in a year or so. Hate to be the pessimist, but while i love that movieworld have gone to these efforts in initial design to put this sort of thing in, i can't help but think that when the batteries stop holding charge, that it may not be replaced... you'll get halfway up the lift hill and the battery dies.... I'm sure similar things are in play in our favourite disney attractions as well - but a 9 minute battery? It's like an RC car... (although 90 second charge time sounds insane... usually batteries charge for an hour to deliver 10 minutes....?)

There has been a misquote anyway, GL will use capacitors, not batteries, so there shouldn't be the same degradation issues. That's also how they can charge so quicky. Capacitors have been the standard method for powering onboard audio for a little while now.

Edited by Gazza