Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Have they finished work on the cascade? If so I'll be pretty disappointed. There are still large sections of exposed concrete. If you look at Skatteøen in Denmark, the cascade walls are completely covered with rockwork and theming. I can't say I'm thrilled with the theming so far.

It looks like they have. It would have been really cool to see the water actually coming out of the shipwreck.

In person, there is too much going on visually for what has become a small space.. That final drop area with boats, bridge, shipping containers, concrete pools, tunnel, supports for the ride, concrete from the flume, the flume itself.. It looks really messy, way too busy.. Seaworld need to open it up. It's like 'ok we have all these props, just try and cover up the hole in the ground'..

Edited by fullauto

I think we should be thankful that Sea World haven't just built a tin shed (Buzzsaw) or pop-up quickshades (MDMC) and left it at that. Considering we don't have the budgets that the big boys do, I think either way we should just appreciate the efforts they have put into this.

We also don't know how much effort they've put in inside the shed either.

^There's probably quite a few things you could have in a wrecked port (I reckon a cargo crane fallen over would be pretty eye catching)

There seems to be more junk appearing in the ride area with every passing day (Those telgraph poles, and the wooden crates around the entry to the tunnel have only appeared in the past few days), so who knows what else will show up.

It would have been really cool to see the water actually coming out of the shipwreck.

I agree. I was hoping the water might have been made to look like it was gushing out from a torn hole in the 'boat's' hull. Alternatively, they could have built some more of those themed crates right around the walls of the cascade to hide the concrete. Maybe they still have some more work to do on it. Here's hoping...

Marketing once again seem to be doing a great job at over-hyping Storm, promoting it as Australia's greatest rollercoaster yet. Fact is, the reality of it will not stand up to such hype. I dont really get why it's being promoted this way because if people believe what they are saying they will only be disappointed. This is going to be a great ride for what it is but shouldnt be getting promoted to be something that its not. Im disappointed that the entire area wont be submerged with floating boats, containers and other junk. It should be floaded to reflect the chaos as seen in a storm and I believe that if it was the whole area would have a much more exciting and kinetic feel to it. And oh yes, VTPs make more than enough to pull off something a little more spectacular than what is emerging. They always start with such a grand vision until the budget cuts kick in and lower the bar. Sadly they truly do have the capacity to do it but in reality they know all too well that spending more, wont make them any more money. Just cost them more unnecessarily

I agree MickeyD. I really think VRTP's marketing department needs a good clean out. They should be pushing the fact that this ride is a WATERCOASTER. That alone makes it something special and unique in Australia. Based on the marketing so far, people will think this is just another coaster, not a hybrid coaster AND boat ride

I also think that the whole area should have been submitted in water, just like Bermuda Triangle was. It would have been good if it is and if there is water spraying as you walked through the queue line. I don't see the purpose of having gravel. They may fill it with water later, but I don't see the point in waiting.

I also think that the whole area should have been submitted in water, just like Bermuda Triangle was. It would have been good if it is and if there is water spraying as you walked through the queue line. I don't see the purpose of having gravel. They may fill it with water later, but I don't see the point in waiting.

Here's why - gravel's cheap and it means you don't need to seal a pool and filter the water going in

Gawd stop complaining and be happy for once people... You haven't even ridden it yet

I agree. I think it is great that Sea World have got a ride that has not been seen in Australia before. I am sure that i will be pretty good ride. Sea World have tried to put in as much effort and theming within the ride as possible. I am sure theming will not be perfect, but people can expect to have rides like America and Europe does. Yes, Sea World may be advertising this the wrong way, but you just need to overlook that. I don't have any expectations for this ride. It will be what it is. It will be a great family ride, with what seems like many special effects. Don't compare it to Bermuda Triangle. It is a totally different ride. Sea World obviously believed it was time for something new. It will be a great new attraction. People can't judge the ride until they have been on it. Sea World may add theming over time. Just wait and see.

I think you'll find that is the 'Theme Park Capital' advertisement, which is for all QLD theme parks not just VRTP's. This is QLD tourism advertisement, not VRTP. So they are not claiming themselves to have the greatest rollercoater, the government has just added that in to hype up the ride/park/destination

Marketing once again seem to be doing a great job at over-hyping Storm, promoting it as Australia's greatest rollercoaster yet. Fact is, the reality of it will not stand up to such hype. I dont really get why it's being promoted this way because if people believe what they are saying they will only be disappointed. This is going to be a great ride for what it is but shouldnt be getting promoted to be something that its not.

I agree MickeyD. I really think VRTP's marketing department needs a good clean out. They should be pushing the fact that this ride is a WATERCOASTER. That alone makes it something special and unique in Australia. Based on the marketing so far, people will think this is just another coaster, not a hybrid coaster AND boat ride

I think this is the best way to look at it though - This is Australia's first 'WaterCoaster'. We've all seen flumes, we've all seen Roller-Coasters, but this is the first time Australia has seen a Roller Coaster that is also a Flume! As an Australian First, it's justifiably Australia's Greatest Coaster yet.

As has already been said in this very thread, the title is subjective, so different people will have a different view, but it's not unreasonable to apply the title to the ride.

It's not like they took a slow-ass totally yawn worthy family coaster and tried to call it a 'big thrill' ride now, is it? Nobody is claiming Storm to be 'most thrilling' or 'highest' or 'fastest' - just 'greatest' and the very nature of the title means you can't say they're wrong. You can disagree with them, but its just opinion, so nobody is right.

I think you'll find that is the 'Theme Park Capital' advertisement, which is for all QLD theme parks not just VRTP's. This is QLD tourism advertisement, not VRTP. So they are not claiming themselves to have the greatest rollercoater, the government has just added that in to hype up the ride/park/destination

I guarantee you all of these parks have collaborated on the content of the advertisement. They all chipped in money, they all support it. the wording would have been very carefully chosen and agreed to by all parties, so let's not blame 'the government' for everything. If they weren't all in agreeance with the finished product, it wouldn't be promoted and on-air right now.