Movie World Lockers

Shadovv

I've never really found the lockers to be a problem.

When I go with others (who take bags and such) I always remind them to bring gold coins for the lockers. It isn't too hard to put your stuff in a locker, go on the ride and then take it out of the locker when you're done. A few dollars poorer, you don't really care because you had fun riding the best roller coaster in the southern hemisphere.

As for myself, whenever I go out (usually to football games) I never take a bag and just keep my wallet in a zip-up pocket on the inside of my jacket. This is unbelievably practical for the parks.

Until you want to leave your phone in the locker to prevent someone from taking it from a ride bin.

Or the inevitable dead phone battery.

You read the part where I said 'leave your phone in the locker, unlock it with a pin code'... right?

Edit: lol to the fluffy fluffy bunny... but to be fair - American parks (hell most parks overseas) handle lockers FAR better than we do.

Edited by AlexB

You read the part where I said 'leave your phone in the locker, unlock it with a pin code'... right?

Edit: lol to the fluffy fluffy bunny... but to be fair - American parks (hell most parks overseas) handle lockers FAR better than we do.

I get what you mean now. I interrupted that as you purchase a locker package then scan a barcode on your phone to enter the locker. (Not always successful itself - the virgin airlines readers didn't like scanning my s4 screen) Then you mentioned carrying the phone to different lockers and didn't quite grasp the pin aspect to it. I was thinking scan barcode then enter pin for security (what if the phone is dropped, someone picks it up and opens your locker*)

*Based on the assumption you meant you needed the phone only to unlock them.

I agree with joz. If the parks want a no loose item policy lockers should be provided for free for ride users. But unfortunately the parks are making a lot of money out of locker hire so I doubt they will do that until one day after building many new rides that require locker hire the guests all get really mad and all go to Dreamworld insted.

Here's a novel idea: How about instead of making everyone's visit more complicated and frustrating than it needs to be with Apps and cynical money grabs, we just make the lockers free? Universal do it, and their results don't seen to be hurting.

Many of us have said this - or at least 'free for a period' like Universal do in many places... but the parks obviously don't want to give up the revenue, so at the very least - making it more convenient (with apps etc) would at least reduce the pain associated with them...

the guests all get really mad and all go to Dreamworld insted.

if you are choosing your favourite theme park by whether the fact the park provides free ride storage instead of the quality of attractions and park atmosphere, then you sir are doing it wrong. Charging for lockers for ride storage yes is wrong, and I can't say I support it, but what I do support is the sped up loading and dispatch process that comes from not having ride storage on the ride platforms, and if I was to get really mad at a park, it would be over more than just about locker charges.

I don't really see why an app is needed. Wouldn't a barcoded wristband suffice? Dropped out of a vending machine if need be.

These days, theres an app for everything. Incorporating it into an e-commerce platform would be far quicker to organise than some sort of 'vending machine' to issue wristbands. The whole suggestion for the 'app' concept was to eliminate the issue seen by some surrounding the need to 'issue' wristbands in the park. It's a real bottleneck in WnW - so much so that I never bother with wristbands and just go for the coin-op lockers instead... provided I have change.

If a person can use an app to pay for their locker - then they could book it ahead of time, before arriving at the park...thereby speeding up the process, electronically banking the revenue immediately, negating the need for staff to supply wristbands or refill vending machines (which will break down)

I see an app being far easier to implement than any wristband type system.

^This. Despite smartphones being very common these days, they aren't across the board enough for it to be an acceptable solution, particularly for younger visitors and internationals who might have data roaming turned off to save money. And to be honest, it is a bit of a hassle to have to stand around at the ride entrance downloading and registering with an app (Presume you would have to punch in credit card details to pay for the locker) for the simple act of hiring a locker.

Basically, you are back to square one since a solution would have to exist for those people anyway.

In any case, Six Flags have ride lockers that you can pay a certain price for, and move from ride to ride, so I think an app is really just overthinking things a bit.

http://behindthethrills.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/P1090394.jpg

Edited by Gazza

^ Movie World should have free wi fi like Dreamworld has (it's called Dreamworld Q4U and works great).

Why not just scan your VIP pass / entry ticket to hire a locker? They both have barcodes. They could have free locker hire for rides that require it (Superman Escape & Jet Rescue).

Edited by Gary86

^ Movie World should have free wi fi like Dreamworld has (it's called Dreamworld Q4U and works great).

Why not just scan your VIP pass / entry ticket to hire a locker? They both have barcodes. They could have free locker hire for rides that require it (Superman Escape & Jet Rescue).

Or for people who have a VIP Pass they get free locker hire.

I think that even the though the app idea might sound good at first, it will probably be more of a hassle.

What about for people who don't have a smart phone or internet access?

Just as WnW has both wristband and coin operated lockers - so too could there be 'app powered' and regular coin op lockers. Those who pre-purchase online via app wouldn't have to wait in line behind the hordes that can't figure out their date of birth.

Would be a good perk for Gold pass holders, but they've gone away from including perks for any type of VIP pass.

yes - kind of a catch 22 situation there - when they offered the gold pass, they didn't offer those extra perks - things like early entry and ERT weren't part of the pass... they came later to try and encourage people to buy and use the gold pass.

Trouble was - few people knew about the extra offer because it wasn't included in the marketing for the gold pass (probably because they didn't want to be 'bound' to it... so either they'd already bought a regular VIP (and no upgrade was offered at that point) or they didn't want to pay extra for the pass because it wasn't an inclusion.

And they went away from it around the same time they gave them away for free.

OMG it's all way over complicated.

The best solution would be wrist band barcodes that work at all lockers around the park but only one at a time. The technology exists and is easy for all then.

Why add all this bullshit with aps and tickets and crap, just stupid. Perhaps try spending a day at a park WITHOUT your damn phone.

Why not just leave it how it is?

Dreamworld and Seaworld are the only parks where you have a decent walk from the back of the park to your locker. Just visit when you go to grab lunch, look at your phone, be sad that no one liked the instagram of your breakfast, post an attention seeking facebook update then get back to enjoying the damn rides you've paid to go and enjoy.

It's not about phones (ive suggested it as a payment method alternative entry system to speed things up), it's about not being able to carry your wallet, keys, and other such 'regular' items when you go to the park.

By Superman's rules, you can't have a single car key inside a zipped up pocket - so unless you can leave all your loose items with a friend, you're using a locker. Not everyone enters the park from their office across the road.

No one is suggesting otherwise (what is that office smart ass crap, sometime your fingers would be better left in your pocket and your mouth shut alex), what is being suggested is how about just putting everything in a locker when you enter the park and leaving it there until you need say money to buy something?

Alternatively, use a wrist band system if you want multiple entry at multiple locations, hell you could even allow the wrist bands to be charged with money so that you don't even need your wallet to buy things.

It's not about phones (ive suggested it as a payment method alternative entry system to speed things up), it's about not being able to carry your wallet, keys, and other such 'regular' items when you go to the park.

By Superman's rules, you can't have a single car key inside a zipped up pocket - so unless you can leave all your loose items with a friend, you're using a locker. Not everyone enters the park from their office across the road.

What are you trying to speed up? The <2 minutes you're in line behind someone using the screen to hire a locker?

You're talking about paying for a locker anyway. So unless you're not eating, who doesn't bring a wallet into the park?

This I've never understood, but hey, it's their park, their rules.

There's no office directly across the road. It's just some fast food and a servo.

I find the need for possessions kinda weird.

If I'm in a Gold Coast park chances im working or needed for work so will have my phone etc on me. But when overseas as a tourist I carry a backpack with my wallet, phone , etc. Now because those parks don't have loose article policies I carry that bag with me. But if not I could easily just leave it in a locker. I'm too busy enjoying myself at the park to be worried about having my phone etc constantly.

Then again I'm of an older generation where I would sooner see what I'm doing it than experience it through a camera lens, so maybe that's where the difference lies.

Edited by djrappa