Movie World Lockers

Shadovv

The current locker hire process is very slow. Expecially when the touch screen is unresponsive. I love the wristband system at the waterparks. Fast and easy locker hire.

I must be lucky then. The longest part for me is getting the money to be accepted without falling out of the coin return.

The touchscreen process itself is easy. Takes <30 sec to ensure you hire it correctly, then <7 sec to key in your details to open it again.

Is it that strict? I've never been on Superman but I always thought 'loose items' meant things like bags and hats etc, not thing in pockets.

Do they pat you down before you ride?

The superman video spiel clearly says "by now all your loose items, including anything in your pockets should have been left with a friend, or in the lockers at the entrance."

What are you trying to speed up? The <2 minutes you're in line behind someone using the screen to hire a locker?

You're talking about paying for a locker anyway. So unless you're not eating, who doesn't bring a wallet into the park?

This I've never understood, but hey, it's their park, their rules.

There's no office directly across the road. It's just some fast food and a servo.

In peak times, queues to get to the terminal touchscreen are several persons deep. Sometimes people who haven't used them before take a lot longer and clog up the system. when you get several of these in a row it is painful. Less painful to hire (you can always go to another terminal that isn't as busy) but more painful when you need to use THAT screen to unlock the box and get your stuff.

I'm talking about paying for a locker using e-services on a phone. My point being I AM bringing a wallet to the park, and i'm talking about efficiency and convenience.

There are offices nearby. People work in them. They're obviously a convenient place to leave keys and wallets and other such items - but perhaps they still bring their phone with them for work purposes. This was perhaps a barbed comment aimed in frustration at one such person whom I felt that my point wasn't being understood... so here it is again - clearer.

• I DO HIRE AN ALL DAY LOCKER WHEN I VISIT THE PARK.
  • I RARELY NEVER HIRE THE 1HOUR LOCKERS AT THE RIDE ENTRANCES.
  • I ALSO RARELY CARRY MY PHONE AND OTHER ITEMS WITH ME WHILST IN THE PARK
  • despite the possibility that i'm spending way more money than i need to, i like the convenience of not having to carry things around.
  • The only thing about the system I don't like is that all day lockers are in one central precinct. I would like to be able to pay one all-day fee (even if it is more expensive) and then use any locker location around the park.
  • I understand there are locker systems out there that permit locker hire in multiple locations. I'd like our parks to do something similar - but these may involve massive infrastructure changes
  • Many stoppers were brought up as to why this wouldn't work.
  • WnW already has barcode systems in place - obviously from the same manufacturer - so a hybrid upgrade appeared to me to be a possibility
  • issuing of wristbands has been raised by others (and me) in the past as an issue - paying staff etc. I don't consider a vending machine to be any better as the expense of buying building maintaining such a machine could be problematic.
  • I suggested an app on your phone would be an option - as Apps are pretty simple to develop and launch, there would be minimal infrastructure costs if the barcode lockers could be retro-fitted to the existing ones, and could read off your phone.

It may all well be too hard. there may be other reasons why it can't or shouldn't be done - i'm just spitballing. When someone raises a point (valid or not) as to why my idea isn't feasible, if i can see a way around that point, then I have responded with my solution.

Sure - make them free if they are willing (but i bet they won't.) so rather than aiming for the sky - i'm going for a feasible, easily implemented solution that can be achieved in the short term.

And to the target of the barb I do apologise for taking out my frustrations. I do hope you are now able to better understand where I am coming from.

I suggested an app on your phone would be an option - as Apps are pretty simple to develop and launch, there would be minimal infrastructure costs if the barcode lockers could be retro-fitted to the existing ones, and could read off your phone.

The parks already apps so they could easily update them to feature this

^They look a lot better than the ones at Movieworld at the moment. The red and blue lockers will look great at Superman. "Note, coin and credit card payment methods". If all you need is a quick tap of your credit/debit card you don't need to carry coins.

Like we all say Movieworld (and Sea World) need to create an all day any locker system. I'm happy to pay $10 - $15 for the convenience. Movie World is so poorly laid out with all day lockers in the middle of the park and the one ride that requires locker hire at the front (with a convenient gift shop at exit - dispite the fact that your not allowed ANY loose items).

By the way do you really need a locker for Superman Escape? There is a lot of space at the top of the lockers, you can always throw your bag up there for free. But not very secure.

Edited by Gary86

I find the need for possessions kinda weird.

My thoughts on this is general "guest frendliness".

Enthusiasts have no excuse to be coming to the parks with tons of stuff and then complain (But then again, some like to take nice photos on their SLR so I've defeated my own point hah)

The average member of the public casually visiting theme parks perhaps doesn't have the thought cross their mind that they might have to hire lockers and might not be strategic with loose items in this respect, and I'd go as far to say that filling a backpack with sunscreen and other stuff you'd take on a day out is not an unreasonable thing to do for your average family.

Similarly, theme parks kinda want guests carrying around lots of stuff by the end of the day, if their gift shops, game stands and refill bottle stations are doing their job and selling lots.

Yes which kinda reinforces my point that you can just have everything in a backpack and then chuck it in a locker when you ride.

This is why I feel a park wide locker system with a wrist band would work well.

And you're right Gazza, the system needs to be tourist friendly. So yeah let them have all their stuff. But you don't need your damn phone in a que (although that will affect your ability to take photos of yourself in said que and post them on insti).

In peak times, queues to get to the terminal touchscreen are several persons deep. Sometimes people who haven't used them before take a lot longer and clog up the system. when you get several of these in a row it is painful. Less painful to hire (you can always go to another terminal that isn't as busy) but more painful when you need to use THAT screen to unlock the box and get your stuff.

• I DO HIRE AN ALL DAY LOCKER WHEN I VISIT THE PARK.
  • I RARELY NEVER HIRE THE 1HOUR LOCKERS AT THE RIDE ENTRANCES.
  • I ALSO RARELY CARRY MY PHONE AND OTHER ITEMS WITH ME WHILST IN THE PARK
  • The only thing about the system I don't like is that all day lockers are in one central precinct. I would like to be able to pay one all-day fee (even if it is more expensive) and then use any locker location around the park.
  • I understand there are locker systems out there that permit locker hire in multiple locations. I'd like our parks to do something similar - but these may involve massive infrastructure changes

It may all well be too hard. there may be other reasons why it can't or shouldn't be done - i'm just spitballing. When someone raises a point (valid or not) as to why my idea isn't feasible, if i can see a way around that point, then I have responded with my solution.

Fair enough, but aren't most people in agreement that Movieworld can pretty much be a half-day park? I mean is the few minutes that you're standing at a locker really that important? Even for a tourist, it's not that long of a wait. Sure it might be a few minutes, but the park is open from say 11-5 and usually you can get a locker somewhere from 10:45 or so. You don't need to be the first rider on superman after all.

I hire an all day locker when I get to the park. Usually when I go to the locker in the morning there might be 1 person in front of me, if that. Usually there's a free control panel if they're all working anyway (next to photo shop MW, or immediate left when you go to DW) In saying that with DW - use the ones at the train station. No one seems to realise they're there.

I never have used a short term locker at any park. I don't see the point. I lock my phone, wallet, camera etc in the locker and can easily re-visit for lunch or if I just happen to be in the area and need a toilet stop or something. It's not like it's a long walk - except for DW, in which case that depends where you are.

Apologies if I don't understand exactly here. Are you saying people hire one locker at a time and can then (without paying extra) move from one locker to a different one in another location? If so, isn't that just potentially moving your queuing problem to multiple locations? Firstly queuing to get your stuff out of the locker, then queuing to get it back in to another one?

You'd also be throwing a stupidity problem into the mix.

Would you like to:

1: Open your locker and keep locker hire?

2: End your locker in this location, and transfer your belongings to a different locker location?

3: End your locker hire for the day?

Now not everyone is going to understand how that works and then they're going to be pissed that they didn't get to use their full day hire. Do we get around that by having full day hire only?

What about the people who didn't order their locker online before getting to the park? Or the people who come later in the day and people have left but still have a locker in their name? Is it touch luck for the late-comers? And tough luck for the park losing out on the revenue?

I understand your argument, but I just don't see if necessary at any of the parks. It's not that big of a deal to wait a couple of minutes behind someone, nor is it that big of a deal to walk around the park back to your locker.

The idea of fingerprint to access lockers is a good one but I like the idea of paying with a method other than cash more. I rarely carry cash so that is the biggest inconvenience for me when it comes to locker hire at one of the parks. They aren't going anywhere so any way of making them easier and quicker to use is something I approve of.

But you don't need your damn phone in a que (although that will affect your ability to take photos of yourself in said que and post them on insti).

You've stipulated this point several times - I just want to double check thats not in response to anything i've said? Yes i've referred to using an app to hire a locker, but i've been very specific in saying your phone goes INSIDE the locker, and you then unlock the locker with a code.

It irritates me to no end seeing a group of 4 or 6 people, who have come to the park for a day together standing in line all with heads buried in their phones (and worse when it's on Superman and nobody picks it up)

Fair enough, but aren't most people in agreement that Movieworld can pretty much be a half-day park? I mean is the few minutes that you're standing at a locker really that important? Even for a tourist, it's not that long of a wait. Sure it might be a few minutes, but the park is open from say 11-5 and usually you can get a locker somewhere from 10:45 or so. You don't need to be the first rider on superman after all.

I hire an all day locker when I get to the park. Usually when I go to the locker in the morning there might be 1 person in front of me, if that. Usually there's a free control panel if they're all working anyway (next to photo shop MW, or immediate left when you go to DW) In saying that with DW - use the ones at the train station. No one seems to realise they're there.

I never have used a short term locker at any park. I don't see the point. I lock my phone, wallet, camera etc in the locker and can easily re-visit for lunch or if I just happen to be in the area and need a toilet stop or something. It's not like it's a long walk - except for DW, in which case that depends where you are.

Apologies if I don't understand exactly here. Are you saying people hire one locker at a time and can then (without paying extra) move from one locker to a different one in another location? If so, isn't that just potentially moving your queuing problem to multiple locations? Firstly queuing to get your stuff out of the locker, then queuing to get it back in to another one?

You'd also be throwing a stupidity problem into the mix.

Would you like to:

1: Open your locker and keep locker hire?

2: End your locker in this location, and transfer your belongings to a different locker location?

3: End your locker hire for the day?

Now not everyone is going to understand how that works and then they're going to be pissed that they didn't get to use their full day hire. Do we get around that by having full day hire only?

What about the people who didn't order their locker online before getting to the park? Or the people who come later in the day and people have left but still have a locker in their name? Is it touch luck for the late-comers? And tough luck for the park losing out on the revenue?

I understand your argument, but I just don't see if necessary at any of the parks. It's not that big of a deal to wait a couple of minutes behind someone, nor is it that big of a deal to walk around the park back to your locker.

It can be a half day park without re-rides (re-rides are where lockers become a problem for the DC area). My views on this formed whilst I was still a smoker, so whilst the problem is non-existent now, its still an irritant that I would be down at GL or SE or AA, and decide to go back to the locker to get a cigarette. Then (now that scooby chinatown alley DOSA is closed) you have to go either back to SE garden, or the otherway to WWF obs. area, THEN before you can get back on SE, you have to return the lighter to the locker. This is the kind of experience that i'm against. It may be ok for the guest who will only return to the locker for lunch, but what about the family with a younger child who needs access to that sort of stuff? (don't say hang it on the stroller - it's not always an option)

And no - it's not a long walk - but depending on the time of day, what parade, show or entertainment is on (or has just been let out) it can be a painful one. Have you ever tried to get from Scooby to SE just as HWSD lets out? Painful.

What i'm saying is pay one all-day price (higher than current if need be) and make any locker station available so you can end one, and start another elsewhere. I take your point about the queueing, which is why i've resorted to hiring means other than pin code and favourite colour - like a barcode on a phone that you can just scan and open. For this type of hire, there wouldn't be an option to 'end' or otherwise - all lockers END when you open them (but if you then 're-hire' at the same terminal immediately you keep the same locker).

Having a portable locker will also, in my opinion, assist those who arrive late. You would still have the option of a single hire locker for an hour - like the SFMM ones do - but by making them portable - if one 'bank' of lockers is 'sold out' they won't be sold out all day as people relocate their items around the park.

That said i don't think i've ever seen an entire locker location completely sold out...

The idea of fingerprint to access lockers is a good one but I like the idea of paying with a method other than cash more. I rarely carry cash so that is the biggest inconvenience for me when it comes to locker hire at one of the parks. They aren't going anywhere so any way of making them easier and quicker to use is something I approve of.

Another reason why the smartphone idea has merit - or paywave. I too rarely bring coins to the park so a cashless hiring system of some description is the way to go for the future. fingerprint access also eliminates 'forgetting your pin' as well as the long queues for people who can't use a touchscreen in today's smartphone world....

"place your finger on the scanner" <click> "NEXT!"

As I said before an all day any locker system is what Movie World and Sea World need. They are going to keep on building new rides requiring locker hire since they are making so much money this way. I wouldn't mind paying up to $20 for an any locker system. The fact is you only are hiring 1 locker at a time in a location you're at. They can add locker areas near Wild West Falls (since some people don't want to get there bags wet and your not allowed to leave them on the platform) and Scooby Doo (it's a lot easier riding without your bag between your legs).

Even better would be make it not charge before you hire but charge you when you end hire the amount you used and pay it with Paywave to get your stuff. They could charge something like $1 per hour. That way you only pay for what you use.

So how do you use pay wave after locker hire when your card is in the locker? Having it charge automatically in the locker is borderline evil, and if it's the honesty system then no one will pay. Also a lot of people have problems with fingerprints (putting the finger on correctly, putting the correct finger on the scanner, having bugger all finger print). There are a couple of ok ideas here, but so far most ideas are complexity for the sale of complexity.

Wouldn't you tap the card then lock it away? You'd just be paying upfront.

I don't think contactless would be a good idea. Lets say I found your card on the ground and hired myself a locker. You were at the park that day. Good luck proving you didn't hire a locker.

Yes I know there's a process involved of getting a stat dec and police report but that's just a pain in the ass.

I don't think contactless would be a good idea. Lets say I found your card on the ground and hired myself a locker. You were at the park that day. Good luck proving you didn't hire a locker.

I feel like banging my head against a wall now. How is that any different to any other paypass purchase, and any other dropped card situation, such as at a shopping center?

Edited by Gazza

So how do you use pay wave after locker hire when your card is in the locker? Having it charge automatically in the locker is borderline evil, and if it's the honesty system then no one will pay. Also a lot of people have problems with fingerprints (putting the finger on correctly, putting the correct finger on the scanner, having bugger all finger print). There are a couple of ok ideas here, but so far most ideas are complexity for the sale of complexity.

On the basis of an 'all day, any locker' system:

• Tap the card to hire. Locker takes a pre-authorisation of $15 (on second thought - pre-auth can take 10 days to release - let's just charge $15)
  • Lock it in the locker.
  • Enter pin, fingerprint, urine sample, whatever to unlock the locker.
  • take your card out, go to next locker. Tap same card - locker hire automatically allocated without additional charges based on recognition of the paywave card used.

I still think an app would be easier... but either way it doesn't matter - the point is - VRTP needs to consider both convenience and efficiency when they next look at their locker system, and needs to take into account the way things have changed... paywave smart phone etc. Nobody uses coins anymore!

(On that note - street vendors need to move on from the bum-bag system to a mobile eftpos type arrangement. I have noticed the touch-screen electronic registers on some of them - are they EFTPOS enabled?)