Dreamworld - the good and the bad

liz.wis

This wouldn't be just a Dreamworld issue though would it?

I have been a couple of times at the start of the year, last year in early March we found all parks really quiet.

At MovieWorld we went around and around on Scooby Doo for 45 minutes and never had to wait once.

At Seaworld on a rainy afternoon there would have been lucky to be 100 people at the afternoon dolphin show (which was great cause my daughter got chosen to be in the show).

I guess people tend not to take their kids out of school early in the year.

Yeah I'm sure all the parks are quiet, but today was probably the most quiet I've ever seen a theme park in all my Years of visiting. I'm yet to ever seen another park alternate ride operation due to having 1 staff member for 2 rides - but that may be more to do with proximity and safety requirements

Considering the Road Runner attendant panel is on the opposite side of the platform (Exit Side) I highly doubt that would be used as they need to cross the train to get back to the op booth. But yea, they usually make rides capable of functioning on the least amount of people they possibly can which is dictated by logistics. For example on Jet Rescue the controller checks their side and does the marshaling while the attendant does the opposite side an exit. Once both attendants have checked the harnesses they both press the pre-dispatch (Yellow Flashy Button which is the same on Superman). Then the controller heads back and both press their dispatch dual button. Intamin accelerators like Superman and Jet Rescue are made so that they can be programmed so only 2 yellows and a green + control are required for dispatch. I would assume that other rides have similar systems so parts of control panels can be disabled.

Road Runner only needs the 2nd attendant when there is 2 trains running, otherwise the second OCC is not required. The yellow button is pushed by both attendants to confirm they have checked their side of the train and BOTH operators are required to hit the green dispatch button at the same time as the operator in the control room upstairs. So to dispatch the train on Superman it requires 3 people to hit the dispatch button at once. Jet Rescue must be programmed slightly differently to allow it to run with just the two staff.

From Ardent's half-yearly report, the theme park business is pretty healthy (~$20m earnings on $55m revenue). Granted there are more businesses in that portfolio than Dreamworld, but it makes me wonder why they seem to keep pursuing these cost-cutting strategies, almost as bad as Six Flags when they were filing for bankruptcy!

Universal is demonstrating pretty strongly that capital investment is a major driver of attendance - surely Dreamworld is about due for a new coaster or big thrill ride? If a big B&M invert is out of the question, a decent-sized family coaster (think Dollywood's Firechaser Express) would be a great addition.

Road Runner only needs the 2nd attendant when there is 2 trains running, otherwise the second OCC is not required. The yellow button is pushed by both attendants to confirm they have checked their side of the train and BOTH operators are required to hit the green dispatch button at the same time as the operator in the control room upstairs. So to dispatch the train on Superman it requires 3 people to hit the dispatch button at once. Jet Rescue must be programmed slightly differently to allow it to run with just the two staff.

I'm actually a little confused about why they would put superman's control where it is. Seriously making the only access points the doors on the right in the middle of the queue and a path from the attendant from the far side is a little strange. Like wouldn't it make sense for the controller to have easy access to the platform. If they did then they could really make it easier to run on off peak days. Like having an operator marshal, load then run to the exit via the shop afterwards is a little inconvenient.

This thing cost 8 Million EUR and has just gone up in France, basically a megalite with higher reliability and trains that don't hurt/eject people.

http://rcdb.com/11056.htm?p=51076

Wish DW would go for something solid yet cheap like this.

Something like this needs to happen sooner or later. I've thought for a while now that a ride like this or a Eurofighter would be perfect for Dreamworld. Packs a big punch with a small footprint and price tag. Looks like the guys over in Perth beat the big boys to the eurofighter idea, (still no reason not to build one) but I'd rather see something new and adventurous like the French example here.

I'm actually a little confused about why they would put superman's control where it is. Seriously making the only access points the doors on the right in the middle of the queue and a path from the attendant from the far side is a little strange. Like wouldn't it make sense for the controller to have easy access to the platform. If they did then they could really make it easier to run on off peak days. Like having an operator marshal, load then run to the exit via the shop afterwards is a little inconvenient.

The control room upstairs is located where it is to provide a birds eye view of the staff loading the train. That way the supervisor of the ride is able to monitor things in case one of the two loaders misses something. A prime example would be from upstairs once the train has dispatched it will be easier to see if a guest undoes the seatbelt compared to the position of the two loaders. Although the seatbelt sensors in the train would detect if a rider undoes the seatbelt as well. Then the supervisor can determine weather the rider will just need to do up the seatbelt to restart the ride or a full train evacuation is required (depends if the train has fully left the station or not) Pretty much the location provides a view of the loading platform, a restricted view of the unload platform and the queue line as well...

Yeah - I think the ability for the ride supervisor to be able to see the entire queueline as well is probably a bonus - this would give him her almost total visibility to all aspects - from the loose-item checker who only needs to take a few steps to be seen, the grouper, the loaders, and restricted view to the unload platform - it's a good spot to be...

Speaking of loading platforms. Dreamworld had only 2 people operating the flume last time I went. One at the exit and one up in the control box. Everyone was just free to load themselves into the boats. This seemed actually faster than one of their staff loading you.

Edited by reanimated35

Log ride has been like that for a long time... the operator just getting over the microphone telling guests to go down the stairs when ready... calling out for single riders etc too when needed. If anyone has any questions about operating procedures etc about any of the WBMW rides I am more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability. However for obvious reasons I wouldn't disclose anything that might be sensitive to VRTP even as an ex employee I still have to be careful :)

Edited by Spotty

Speaking of loading platforms. Dreamworld had only 2 people operating the flume last time I went. One at the exit and one up in the control box. Everyone was just free to load themselves into the boats. This seemed actually faster than one of their staff loading you.

Wait... You saw the Flume running?!?!

I thought I could do my pros and cons on some of the attractions that Dreamworld currently has I'm going to start with the Pros/Good (PRO) Dreamworks Experience: It's fun for all of ages and it's well detailed Wiggles World: Pretty much as I said for Dreamworks but it would been nice if they added more rides? Corroboree: Very well detailed, there is lots to do there.This would be good for Schools that are visiting to Dreamworld Now on to the (CONS aka Bad) Zombie Evilution: Too scary for children who have phobias with zombies.. anyways another issue is that Laser Tags shouldn't be at theme parks only at arcades Oh by the way there's a new laser tag which is near Movie World it's called Game Over.. Mick Doohan's Motor Coaster: Holy fuck this is a very piss poor made ride it's very uncomfortable especially where your legs are you can't move them. Looking for a better ride done with the same model Head over to Sea World's Jet Rescue.. Thunder River Rapids: Has no idea what it's theme is. Expect of that issue its a good ride.. Log Ride: I don't need to explain about this attraction because it's pretty much issue I had with the Rapids Shockwave: Just a ride that you need your sick bags for.. Pandamonium : Oh just another ride to get your sick bags for.. V8 SuperCar: Just one of those crappy simulators that Dreamworld decide to pull some money from there back pocket I didn't mention Wipeout, Tower of Terror, Giant Drop, Cyclone, The Claw or Reef Driver because I haven't done any of the rides so I can't comment about the rides..

Edited by The_Ninja_59

It's funny cause I feel the opposite.

I think the Scooby Doo RC is one of the best rides on the Gold Coast but after the kids dragged me on a few times it I found it became really tedious because you know the track off-by-heart and sort of ride by numbers.

After many go's in Alien V Predator I find it is still fun because there is a natural variation in it with different groups of people.

I was looking at the VIP pass for MW,SW, and WnW and found them to be $109.99 which I presume them to be an annual pass. But I looked at DW and found their 21 day pass to DW, and WWW to be $99.99 which I find to be a bit unfair. $99 for 21 days compared to $109 for a year.

I know! I couldn't believe it either! I mean how unfair of Dreamworld to not sell a $109 pass to DW and WWW for almost a whole year! What a load of crap!

Capture_zpsa9fbc9f9.jpg

I was looking at the VIP pass for MW,SW, and WnW and found them to be $109.99 which I presume them to be an annual pass. But I looked at DW and found their 21 day pass to DW, and WWW to be $99.99 which I find to be a bit unfair. $99 for 21 days compared to $109 for a year.

I don't really see how a month of access to two theme parks for $99 is 'unfair'. I mean, it's more the situation that the cheap annual passes have basically been giving away the gate very cheaply.

People seem to have forgotten the days when a 3 park superpass was $150 or so, and a 3 park annual pass was $299.