2014 In Dreamworld - Tail Spin construction, Wipeout refurbishment, Triple Vortex construction

I'd say re-routing the path permanently alongside the Cyclone towards the toilets could give enough room for one. If the splashdown was next to the Rip they could use the same conveyor for rafts. In the image below, I did measure out the funnel diameters per the ProSlide website, but the rest is just guesswork.

attachicon.gifTornado24.png

You can definitley mash one into a tight spot if you really want to,

Might not even have to divert the path that much, since so long as you are above 4.8m that is enough headroom for both guests and maintenance vehicles.

This image help?

post-88-0-48980200-1402299624_thumb.jpg

Also, for a laugh it would be funny if it turned out to be a bowling alley...Can't have enough bowl sides in that park!

Being serious though, I would really like a Tantrum (Tornado 24)...Great fun...properly turbulent, and they feel like they go on forever.

Edited by Gazza

post-2478-0-06985800-1402557518_thumb.jp

This is the blue it was painted... By the end of the day they had almost met it up with the lighter blue on the top half of the arm... The weights were also painted the same dark blue except the area inside the yellow tape...

post-2478-0-76814100-1402557501_thumb.jp

Blasted concrete removing the cream colour...

post-2478-0-30205400-1402557171_thumb.jp

Reef diver removal almost complete...

post-2478-0-45111600-1402557533_thumb.jp

post-2478-0-70521900-1402557201_thumb.jp

So are you supposed to climb on this piece of equipment or not... I'm confused...

Decided to have lunch in the Billabong Buffet today... Discount for world pass holder and for being an RACQ member meant it cost us less for myself, my wife and our 2 year old than it would have been to get a hotdog, chips and drink each... TBH I think I would have preferred the hotdog... Poor selection which was nothing like the "example" menu at the door and because it was far away from the door you could not look before paying...

Edited by Wyncenuros

Yeah would've loved to see the light blue aqua look again, however I don't think it'll be a big issue personally - for me it'll be all about if the pool makes a return.

In fact it'll be cool to see if there's any new, original ideas being brought into the mix. That'll be a nice surprise, and perhaps will go down as a mark in the sand for a shift from the park we're used to seeing, which I'd say up until recently hasn't had an original thought that wasn't positive.

Yeah would've loved to see the light blue aqua look again, however I don't think it'll be a big issue personally - for me it'll be all about if the pool makes a return.

In fact it'll be cool to see if there's any new, original ideas being brought into the mix. That'll be a nice surprise, and perhaps will go down as a mark in the sand for a shift from the park we're used to seeing, which I'd say up until recently hasn't had an original thought that wasn't positive.

The water is returning, no need to worry about that and new theatrical elements as well according to the engineer in the mini mayor video. Also the concrete colouring may be due to the fence line being moved much closer to the Wipeout itself so they have 1 colour.

Looking at the colouring on the main ride supports - it looks like they're going to try and blend the colours on the arm to match the wave (ie: dark at the bottom and whitewash up the top).

Wyn does say the dark blue kept going all the way to the top, but it just seems weird they'd have those three layered colours and then just paint over the whole lot with one colour (unless they changed their mind halfway through.)

Wyn - your critique of the buffet has one small flaw - after you see the selection, and you are disappointed by it, why did you not return to the counter and ask for a refund as the product was not as advertised?

Dreamworld have confirmed on facebook the water is returning as WODWF said above ^, and i have to say the theory on the concrete (fence line move) may be on the money too - that would indicate DW actually gives a rats ass about continuity of theming, which would indicate a shift in the park's focus, and good news for those among us who like the theme and story better than the ride motion.

Looking at the colouring on the main ride supports - it looks like they're going to try and blend the colours on the arm to match the wave (ie: dark at the bottom and whitewash up the top).

Wyn does say the dark blue kept going all the way to the top, but it just seems weird they'd have those three layered colours and then just paint over the whole lot with one colour (unless they changed their mind halfway through.)

Wyn - your critique of the buffet has one small flaw - after you see the selection, and you are disappointed by it, why did you not return to the counter and ask for a refund as the product was not as advertised?

Dreamworld have confirmed on facebook the water is returning as WODWF said above ^, and i have to say the theory on the concrete (fence line move) may be on the money too - that would indicate DW actually gives a rats ass about continuity of theming, which would indicate a shift in the park's focus, and good news for those among us who like the theme and story better than the ride motion.

I said... By the end of the day they had almost met it up with the lighter blue on the top half of the arm... The dark blue did not go all the way to the top... It stopped where the light blue of the top half stops...

Buffet... Because my wife and son enjoyed it and rather than screwing up a nice family day out at the time bit my tongue... The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few or one...

In the last few years before drought restrictions (or rather, the excuse of drought restrictions) came into place, the ride did actually feature fountains in the pool that would shoot random jets of water during the ride cycle. It was possible to come off the ride pretty wet sometimes.

An engineer told me the water was removed due to corrosion and he said if they left the water in there any longer the ride would of fallen to bits. The wooden jetty thing has been started to being ripped up and that has been covering the water jets since it was built to cover them back in 2007. Also i have noticed in some recent pictures new pipes have been built on top of the water jets at the bottom of the wave, it's hard to describe but if you look carefully there is about 4-5 of them.

attachicon.gifIMG_2653.JPG

Blasted concrete removing the cream colour...

Now that's interesting, that cream coloured concrete was added when The Claw was built in 2005 is that correct? Or was it always that colour around the Wipeout since 1994?

Also, do you think they would be sand blasting it back to add a different type of theme to it?

attachicon.gifIMG_2654.JPG

This is the blue it was painted... By the end of the day they had almost met it up with the lighter blue on the top half of the arm... The weights were also painted the same dark blue except the area inside the yellow tape...

I agree it seems pretty interesting that they have that many different shades of the blue underneath... Although, I have a theory that they might be doing something cool to the paint at some stage, that they will do some sort of effect with the 3 layers that makes it look more water/wave like, I don't think they are doing the 3 layers PURELY for wear'n'tear reasons... but that's just my theory :)

I went down to Dreamworld yesterday, for the first time without kids in a long time - last time I did that, Thunderbolt was still going, and The Claw and anything subsequent wasn't yet in existence. Everything was a walk on.

The MDMC/Wiggles World portion of the lake was MUCH cleaner than it was when I went down a couple of weeks ago. Last time it was just totally green with scum, yesterday it seemed predominantly clear.

There was a huge stack of bent up metal/concrete in the former Reef Diver site. Nothing new that hasn't already been said about Wipeout. They were doing a fair bit of work there still, there was jackhammering going during the morning. Magic mushrooms and superfluous theming have all seemed to be removed from the log ride.

I hadn't been on any of these rides ever, or if not for years:

I was the first rider of the day on Giant Drop - myself and my husband had it to ourselves which was quite fun. The operator seemed to leave us up the top for a bit longer than usual, if I recall.

Cyclone was HUGELY disappointing. Last time I went on it, it was really smooth, I thought you lot were exaggerating when you said how rough it's gotten, but, I agree, it was completely not enjoyable anymore. I'm not sure if there's a way to deal with that, but it was once a good coaster IMO.

Shockwave - Not hugely thrilling, but I still thought it was fun. I'll totally let my 5 year old go on it when she gets to the right height. The cycle after the one we went on broke down.

Pandamonium - I don't really like spinning, so went in the 'less thrills' option, and it was a bit lame. Again, quite happy for my 5 year old to ride it in on that setting. I didn't bother going on it on the faster/spinnning option, but my husband did, and he enjoyed it (he rated it well above Buzzsaw).

Buzzsaw - I absolutely hate the feeling of going on a ride back-down, but my husband again went on it, and thought it was okay, but wouldn't be in a hurry to go on it again.

The Claw - I did give this one a go, and it's probably the most thrilling I've ever found a ride. I was pretty shaky when I got off, hence not going on the above 2.

MDMC - I've been on this one often, I still think it's a good ride as it caters for younger riders.

Zombie Evolution - this was probably the most surprising attraction of the day, I went in with low expectations, and actually found it really fun, and a great way to break up going on rides all day. We did it a couple of times.

Edited for bad grammar.

Edited by liz.wis

Since when has painting only ever been done in one coat?

I think the point they (and I earlier) were trying to make is that the three different colours indicate they're going to try a 'whitewater' wave type paintjob blended from top to bottom. If they were going with a solid colour, all coats would have been that same colour.

The operator seemed to leave us up the top for a bit longer than usual, if I recall.

I'm going to go out on a limb here - i'm not familiar with GD's operation, but as both GD and Probe at Wonderland are the same ride type, I'm going to say thats just your feel - the ride operation should be totally automatic - with the operator depressing (from memory 2) buttons to initiate the launch, and everything from that point on runs fully automatic, with the carrier releasing you when you reach a pre-determined point on the tower.

Many people believe they are stopped, when in actual fact if you look at the tower above and over your shoulder you can see you are continuing to ascend, albeit EXTREMELY slowly.

You only stop moving on the tower for the split second before you drop, as the carrier mechanically releases the gondola.

I've often wondered about the mechanics of GD - Probe never slowed down that much before it reached to top - and I wonder whether GD could be re-programmed to have a shorter deceleration time. It might improve the theoretical capacity of the ride by reducing the cycle time without any real loss in ride experience.