Sea World's Sea Viper closes after 32 years

Parkz News

No matter what anyone says about not needing another coaster, it would still be the smartest business option.

It is just proven that coasters churn guests. Masses will walk in the door, the coaster will eat them up like candy and have room for more, assuming that it is a modern ride with 2-3 trains.

Plus, a coaster would look awesome over that sand bank.

With speculation that Sea World as a possibilty could potentially purchase the former Hard Rock B&M Led Zeppelin, comes news of another former Australian coaster finally being sold. Zoomerang , the former Demon from Wonderland has finally found a buyer. The price was reduced from 1.8 million to 1.1 million, its destination and buyer unknown. Keep a lookout for it appearing in a park somwhere soon!!

Here is the link:

http://www.intermarkridegroup.com/roller-coasters/vekoma-boomrang-rc1300

Absolutely agree AlexB and Brad2912. There is absolutely no place for Demon/Zoomerang at SeaWorld- hell if they WERE going to buy a 2nd hand ride then Led Zeppelin would be a far better, more logical choice. Led Zeppelin would represent excellent buying, be an Australian first insofar it would be the first B&M downunder, it is in excellent condition and was only used for 2 very short seasons. Rides like these and opportunities to purchase them do not come up often.

I would even hesitate to see it go to Aussie World or Adventure World- there are far better options out there for the money you would invest in purchasing Zoomerang and then shipping and re-erecting on site. I do not feel that the $1.1 million purchase price actually represents good value.

Edited by Jobe

Yeah, hopefully Adventure World has learnt through Freefall and Turbo Mountain not to go and buy second hand rides.

To be fair Turbo Mountain was installed from 1991 to 2009 - 18 years in total. That represents pretty good value for a ride that was already considered old when it was installed in '91. Schwarzkopf's god bless them!!!

Good to see the Demon is still going (somewhat) strong somewhere around the world as have a fondness for that ride as it was the first steel coaster I ever rode and my 3rd coaster ever after Beastie and Bush Beast at Wonderland, but def not an option for SW though.

The B&M Zeppelin would be great if SW looked past it's already (barely) used status and would just need a new non rock band name to go along with it's sweet white and blue colour scheme. Tidal Wave and Tsunami are probably not quite PC enough (or original for that matter) but maybe base it around a killer whale that is caught in a storm (what a cross promotion!) and then finally SW will have a killer whale in Australia :P;)

I don't think "American coaster groups" is exactly a demographic that our parks actively seek to win over.

As a coaster, it'd be Australia's tallest, fastest, longest and feature the most inversions. No shortage of marketing opportunities there. And given the industry's overall trend towards smaller, cheaper coasters that our parks have definitely embraced, it'd likely be a reasonably cost-effective -- and perhaps the only -- way to see biggest/faster that's not a one-trick pony on our shores again.

Don't forget - when Wonderland first opened in 1985 - many of it's rides were second hand from other parks, and many of them lasted almost the park's entire life. It is possible if the ride has been well maintained. Demon hasn't.

In other News - Joz was on the money 4 years ago...

photo-thumb-3.jpg?_r=0 Posted by joz on 05 March 2010 - 02:26 AM in Theme Park Discussion

The thing is that the Corkscrew train was pretty comfortable to sit in, the new trains are not. Even when you're in the station in the new trains the seats have random bits of plastic and metal that randomly jab into your back/side. They're not nice to sit in when you're stationary, the sad thing is that means now when you're going around the track you can now feel the jolts that have always been there but the train didn't pass on. Perhaps next time Kumbak design a new train someone should sit in them, just to see if the seats by themselves are comfortable to sit in, rather then just making sure they look cool*. * I don't think that they do look cool, nor do I consider "Sea Viper" an upgrade or an improvement. I used to think Corkscrew was such a marketing icon it was pretty much untouchable. Now I think that Corkscrew's footprint, combined the plot of land that used to house the Pirate Ship, as well as some of the lake is plenty of room for a BIG new coaster.

Sorry to double post - when Viper was first launched, someone posted close-up photos of the step-treads on the train - they were customised rubber treads with the Viper logo on them - can anyone point me to a photo of these?

It's not a demographic they would care about at the slightest. But if their attention is grabbed then that could expand into the media which would have endless opportunities.

While it could be a big deal locally, I don't think there's any international media exposure to be had at all from the relocation of a second-hand coaster that is more or less a standard feature at any mid-sized regional theme park in the US.

Don't forget to keep bugging Sea World. The more people who tell them to buy it the higher chance that they will consider it.

Don't forget that this is purely speculation on the part of this forum and board. Merely bombarding SeaWorld with e-mails calling for the immediate installation of Led Zeppelin would probably be ignored and no doubt they are already forging ahead with plans that are at this point , unrealised and not public knowledge. Just because we think it is a great idea doesn't mean the park will follow our lead.

As a coaster, it'd be Australia's tallest, fastest, longest and feature the most inversions. No shortage of marketing opportunities there. And given the industry's overall trend towards smaller, cheaper coasters that our parks have definitely embraced, it'd likely be a reasonably cost-effective -- and perhaps the only -- way to see biggest/faster that's not a one-trick pony on our shores again.

Good point Richard. If by chance SeaWorld were to install Led Zeppelin , this could also be a precursor for other Australian parks to seriously consider installing more rides of this benchmark into their lineup- especially if it was embraced by the public as a whole. As I said in my previous post- this would be a unique opportunity to obtain a ride of this calibre from the 2nd hand market in great material condition. As you have pointed out, the marketing opportunities would be endless and my word, it would certainly look good across the Spit and really project SeaWorld back into the forefront of the public consciousness, as far as rides are concerned.

So realistically what are the chances of SeaWorld buying Led Zeppelin? Pretty slim and narrow in my estimation. But that's not to say that it is not a good idea- the reality is that Village Roadshow most probably already know what they are going to do with the land vacated by Sea Viper when it eventually is removed. The real question is how long will it be before they move forward with these plans?? Will Sea Viper sit idle SBNO for years or will the whole process be very quick?? Hopefully , if their plans are advanced it is the latter.

Slim maybe but not out of the question.

Wouldn't be the first time something has been brought up on these boards and the parks have gone "hey, that's an idea."

If that ride could be turn key installed and operating here for around 12 million then totally feasible. If it's more like 20 Id say no way.

Wouldn't be the first time something has been brought up on these boards and the parks have gone "hey, that's an idea."

I know there's confidentiality and contracts and stuff here - but are there any specific ones you'd be allowed to point to? (and no, i'm not talking about cables on top of the sea world no-entry gate!!!) ;)