Ideas For The Old Sea Viper Space

Sea World needs a more thrilling attraction. I like Mega-Lites but I think something more similar to Maverick at Cedar Point would be better.

Maverick was very expensive, with the money for that you could get a pretty decent B&M.

As for the jaws-type ride, if they theme it well it could be AMAZING.

Edited by Santa07

Using that logic, Sea World doesn't need any food or beverage locations since Movie World has it covered. They should get rid of all toilet facilities too, since Dreamworld has some around their park.

I also think they should get rid of admission tickets, since all the other parks do that. Free entry to Sea World anyone?

I also think they should get rid of admission tickets, since all the other parks do that. Free entry to Sea World anyone?

For starters they probably won't get enough money to stay open as not everyone purchases gifts and stuff or eats down there, unless they charge money to ride rides and see shows. 

Maverick was very expensive, with the money for that you could get a pretty decent B&M.

As for the jaws-type ride, if they theme it well it could be AMAZING.

I never realised how expensive it was, and it surprises me it is that much. It's an epic ride but isn't that heavily themed or anything... Anyway, perhaps a shorter, more compact equivalent would be cheaper. It needs to be unique and be considered fiercely thrilling in my opinion. It seems I'm not the only one who thinks that :) I would say iSpeed is a good one but probably too similar to Superman.

Having watched some more clips of Mega-Lites, am I the only one who dislikes fast lift hills? The most thrilling part of the start of the ride is either the G-Forces of a launch or the terrifying anticipation of reaching a tremendous height and hanging over the end of a drop. With such fast lift hills you lose both.

Nah. Plenty of thrills in the Gold Coast already, and nowhere near enough immersive adventures!

Stop comparing things to "the rest of the Gold Coast" in terms of who the rides should be aimed at. The reality is that Sea World is becoming a glorified zoo. Some immersive dark ride won't change that. Sea World are not in a position to do that, let Movie World do it. They have enough thrills IN THEIR PARK, whereas Sea World doesn't. It is not beneficial for Village Roadshow to neglect a good attraction for Sea World just because Movie World and Wet 'n' Wild have many already.

I will admit I am a fan of the high thrill coaster with flat rides worked in around it idea. As others have pointed out the park is missing the high thrill coaster that helped make the park famous. It's really the only thing that makes sense to replace the former attraction. Whilst the dark ride idea isn't a bad one the cost of building the structure that will house it would cost a fair bit by itself. The idea of a boardwalk section sounds interesting, especially the wooden coaster idea and if done properly they could move the midway games into the area.

Stop comparing things to "the rest of the Gold Coast" in terms of who the rides should be aimed at. The reality is that Sea World is becoming a glorified zoo. Some immersive dark ride won't change that. Sea World are not in a position to do that, let Movie World do it. They have enough thrills IN THEIR PARK, whereas Sea World doesn't. It is not beneficial for Village Roadshow to neglect a good attraction for Sea World just because Movie World and Wet 'n' Wild have many already.

They don't need to compete with themselves though!

They don't need to compete with themselves though!

Push, I hope this doesn't come across to be rude.

Theme Parks, when in a chain, don't operate as one giant property; they act as a group of parks that are managed, funded and operated by one or more companies. Because of this, each audience that enters the park should be catered for. Walt Disney World Resort in Florida is a prime example of this. Although there are four parks, each park caters for every audience that visits them. Within Magic Kingdom alone, Pre-Schoolers are drawn to character meet and greets, Grade School kids adore the parade, Teens get a real kick out of Space Mountain, Adults love the fireworks and so do Seniors. Don’t believe me? Check out touringplans.com. All these examples are rated 5/5 for each individual age group. In Magic Kingdom, not the Walt Disney World Resort as a whole, there is are more then enough rides that tickle the fancy of each demographic that visits

Let’s say we put your logic into play here, and get ride of all the rides at the Magic Kingdom that appeal to teens. While the kids and adults are having a great time, the teens are bored out of there mind. “Oh well, they can just head over to EPCOT or Hollywood Studios and get their fix”. Unfortunately, this isn’t how this works. Parks have to cater to each audience because every experience matters. Let’s say this hypothetical Magic Kingdom exists and they get a couple of reviews sent in. While the family with toddlers loved their time meeting Anna and Elsa, the family with teens would be giving a one-star review for lack of activities for them. Disney can’t just say “Oh well, we’re not catering to teens. Their review and experiences are invalid”. Instead, they have to make every experience a good one

Why don’t we bring this back home to Sea World?. I recently went to Sea World with a couple of friends, each of which have a different taste in their rides. Friend A loves their shows and exhibits but can’t stand rollercoasters, while Friend B is the typical Dreamworld GP; it’s all about the inversions and intensity to them. Friend A loved their time at Sea World. They really enjoyed their time at the Penguin Encounter and Ray Reef. Friend B found the day quite lacklustre. While they found Jet Rescue to be fun, they wanted something intense and to push the limits. Affinity wasn’t really up their alley, and they certainly found some of the exhibits to be boring.  There wasn’t really anything that tickled the fancy of their demographic, leading to their experience to be less that stellar. 

“If they wanted thrills, then they shouldn’t have gone to Sea World!”. Here’s the thing; they shouldn’t have to go to another park. Each park should have enough attractions that cater to each audience, and Sea World is clearly lacking in a high thrill coaster. I’m not trying to be a dickhead, Push, but your logic is pretty flawed. 

I’ll leave you with this thought. As I’ve learnt over your time on the forums, you love dark rides, as do I. If we applied your own thought process to this, Sea World shouldn’t get that Jaws style ride that you would love to see because Movie World has catered for that audience. Can you see the flaws in your thoughts?

As for competing with themselves, I don't think that matters all too much to them. If some of Movie World's target demographic end up going to Sea World instead of Movie World, the money is going back to the same place; Village Roadshow.

Edited by Zanstabar

I love my dark rides but I can't really see Sea World being home to them. The closest thing I think we could get would be something ala Jaws or Jungle Cruise, or a Pirates of the Caribbean style dark ride addition to Vikings Revenge. 

You may be right, but Bermuda Triangle was the 2nd best dark ride I have ever been on. I feel sad when I go on Storm, as I can't help but remember what was there.

Edited by pushbutton

You may be right, but Bermuda Triangle was the 2nd best dark ride I have ever been on. I feel sad when I go on Storm, as I can't help but remember what was there.

I guess it's a matter of execution. Sea World could, and has, pulled off a good dark ride but it all lies in the concept and the development of that concept. 

While I can think of a plethora of ideas for dark rides at Movie World, and even a nice handful at Dreamworld, I really can't think of all too many for Sea World.

Whilst I recognise their differences, does anyone think an Intamin Mega Lite would be too similar to Superman Escape?

Unless they put in another short Intamin accelerator, I fail to see anything else that could be so similar that I would feel cheated for variety in comparison to Superman.

They could put in a Stormrunner clone for instance, which is even more similar to SE, but the extra length and those inversions would make it a unique enough experience that I wouldn't be disappointed.

A mega lite is pretty damn different to SE. The only similarities are the airtime hills, and who doesn't want more of those?

WE know the differences, but at the end of the day its the public perception that will drive attendance at the park (or not).

Even if something is COMPLETELY different in our eyes, if it looks the same... the public will view it that way - and one of them will end up being 'poor cousin' to the other in the eyes of the public.