Sea World maintenance

pushbutton

• 1 month later...
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 20:41, pushbutton said:

I have to say that from my perspective, Sea World is nowhere near as good as it was just a few years ago.

The Bermuda Triangle, the Sea Viper, and now the Chairlifts have all gone. The Dolphin show isn't as good as it was (in my opinion), and the jet stunt show or whatever it is isn't a patch on the old pirate show with the big ship (pun intended).

I have no objection to change. Some change is obviously good. From a little kids perspective, Nickelodeon Land is much better than the previous kids area, with better rides.

Again though, for me, it's lost a heck of a lot. That's despite the Creatures of the Deep, which I do like. It just doesn't come close to making up for the above losses.

I agree.

Last time we visited SeaWorld (some time ago now), I was very disappointed with many aspects of it.
So much of it seemed in need of repair, aged, or closed.

The front gate ticketing staff were way too few, resulting in massive delays getting in (during school term), and I simply couldn't believe there was a pirate/swim area within the complex for which you have to pay extra for?! - unbelievable.

I'm hoping it is far improved & better value these days, in fact I doubt it's possible it could be worse that when we visited.

1 hour ago, ssar23 said:

I agree.

Last time we visited SeaWorld (some time ago now), I was very disappointed with many aspects of it.
So much of it seemed in need of repair, aged, or closed.

The front gate ticketing staff were way too few, resulting in massive delays getting in (during school term), and I simply couldn't believe there was a pirate/swim area within the complex for which you have to pay extra for?! - unbelievable.

I'm hoping it is far improved & better value these days, in fact I doubt it's possible it could be worse that when we visited.

The water play area you are talking about is Sea World Resort, not Sea World, hence the need to pay to access it. It adjoins to SeaWorld but isn't part of it. 

The pirate play I'm assuming you are talking about is the high ropes area in Bucaneer Bay

Except it's not physically connected to the resort, and it used to be free for Sea World guests.  It's kind of like if Movie World built a hotel, and then started charging park guests extra to visit WB Kids Land because it was now 'part of the hotel'.  That'd be a crappy thing to do, and they'd be rightly called out on it, and I think if a park does something that diminishes its perceived value, they should be called out on it.

For my taste, if you want to include a waterpark as part of the resort, fine, but it's so haphazard. The resort already has a brilliant pool area, and a children's play area, so why they want to include a the seasonal and ordinary at best mammoth plunge slide and an underwhelming kiddie pool that are a couple hundred meters away from the existing area is beyond me.  

I'd like to see them drop the '& Water Park' branding at the resort, and drop the silly price to enter what's left of the water park.  Particularly given a kiddie pool and plunge slide would work much better as a part of Castaway Bay & Sea World than they would as some far flung off shoot of the resort.  

I just had a look at the water park page on the website - http://seaworld.com.au/animals-rides-and-shows/rides/sea-world-resort-water-park.aspx and noticed this:

Please note that the Water Park will be officially closed from Tuesday 26th January 2016, following plans of an exciting new attraction to feature in this area of the resort. The Resort pool and SpongeBob SplashBash will remain open.

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but it's certainly a decent sized plot of land to build something new. The top end of the park could use something beyond the dolphin show to lure guests as well.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I didn't know until just recently that the SeaWorld skyway had closed down does anyone know why it did and is it just me or is SeaWorld going a little over the top closing down rides.

Sea Viper

Pirate Ship

Skyway

etc.

They have closed a pile of rides but haven't opened a lot.

Skyway has been discussed quite a bit. It was hit and miss anyway with maintenance issues, was just past repair. 

Nick Land is a giant improvement on their kids area, and rivals DW now for the best kids offering on the coast

18 hours ago, aaronm said:

I just had a look at the water park page on the website - http://seaworld.com.au/animals-rides-and-shows/rides/sea-world-resort-water-park.aspx and noticed this:

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but it's certainly a decent sized plot of land to build something new. The top end of the park could use something beyond the dolphin show to lure guests as well.

Closed on 26 January? Big fuck you to anyone who is taking an extended holiday break at the resort over Australia Day... Couldn't they have chosen just one day later when kids all go back to school?

16 hours ago, Ashley said:

I didn't know until just recently that the SeaWorld skyway had closed down does anyone know why it did and is it just me or is SeaWorld going a little over the top closing down rides.

Sea Viper

Pirate Ship

Skyway

etc.

They have closed a pile of rides but haven't opened a lot.

Yes - over the top because they closed three rides, one of which has been closed for near on 10 years. (You also missed Bermuda and the old waterpark area).

Ignore the fact that over that period they've also built:

• Jet Rescue
  • Battle Boats
  • Storm Coaster
  • High Ropes
  • Kids jungle gym thing
  • Mammoth Falls
  • Several modifications to the childrens area
  • several animal exhibits

I think you're wearing blinders Kiddo.

Look - I agree the park isn't quite what it used to be, but the park has used a lot of it's available land to build very large immersive animal habitats. I believe the park needs a few more rides to round out the day (which by the sound of things a new one is planned), but I would not be disappointed for the park to be more zoo, less amusement park.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Ignore the fact that over that period they've also built:

• Jet Rescue
  • Battle Boats
  • Storm Coaster
  • High Ropes
  • Kids jungle gym thing
  • Mammoth Falls
  • Several modifications to the childrens area
  • several animal exhibits

I think you're wearing blinders Kiddo.

Jet Resuce in a round about way replaced Corkscrew, so no real net gain there

Battle Boats Replaced the pool, so upgrade, hurray!

Storm Coaster replaced Bermuda.  Storm replaced Bermuda, Storm isn't bad but it's a bit of a downgrade.

High ropes course in an up charge attraction.

Kids Jungle gym thing replaced a couple water slides, so upgrade, hurray!

Mammoth falls replaced 3 other water slides, and then it and the kiddie pool were made an up charge.  

'Several Modifications to the kids area'.  Direct replacement

'Several animal exhibits'.

Penguin Enounter replaced Dugongs, and the aquarium under guest services.  So upgrade hurray!  

Ray Reef replaced Thrillseeker Roller Coaster.

Seal Harbour really amounts to making an already exsisting area accessible to guests, but it is a genuine new attraction.  CotD is amounts to some figures being installed where there was already a path, but it too is a genuine new attraction.

So that's it, 2 genuine new walk through attractions.  And for that we only had to give up the train the skyway and the pirate ship (3 rides).  And in the meantime the park pretty regularly runs one monorail train instead of 2 (much slower too it must be added), 2 sit down restaurants have closed, the 3D cinema is now under utilised and the flume ride is shorter.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see the decline in the park then 'you're wearing blinders kiddo!'

LOL.

My post was only in response to the comment ' they've closed a pile, but haven't opened a lot '

the statement is a bit of a stretch. The words aren't well defined, but in my mind, the word 'pile' in terms of quantity comes in somewhere just short of 'loads'. Saying the park has gone "a little over the top closing rides" as well as "closing a pile, but not opening a lot" isn't accurate - the park has hardly gone over the top closing rides when by your own post - almost everything closed has been replaced with something new.

If we're going to count Pirate Ship and Thrillseeker, we're going to be here a while.

I'm not saying the park hasn't declined, in fact my comment immediately after 'blinders' was that I agreed the park wasn't what it used to be, and needed more.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

LOL.

My post was only in response to the comment ' they've closed a pile, but haven't opened a lot '

the statement is a bit of a stretch. The words aren't well defined, but in my mind, the word 'pile' in terms of quantity comes in somewhere just short of 'loads'. Saying the park has gone "a little over the top closing rides" as well as "closing a pile, but not opening a lot" isn't accurate - the park has hardly gone over the top closing rides when by your own post - almost everything closed has been replaced with something new.

If we're going to count Pirate Ship and Thrillseeker, we're going to be here a while.

I'm not saying the park hasn't declined, in fact my comment immediately after 'blinders' was that I agreed the park wasn't what it used to be, and needed more.

A pile compared to other parks. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with closing a ride but you would think your going to take a giant roller coast (sea viper) you have something to replace it by not just leave it empty like the pirate ship years a ago was left empty.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Gary86 said:

It's good they are removing the old chairlift. It's not like they will leave it in the park for the next 10 years....

I suppose I just had a slight hope that they might have just upgraded it to include new cabins, even replacing the cable if it were necessary to ensure it would last well into the future. Now that the pillars are being removed that only leaves the completely gutted stations, meaning they'd more or less have to start from scratch to rebuild the chairlifts. :(