Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

Just a quick trip report from this morning.  Headed to AW around 9am this morning with new season passes in hand.  First and only problem of the day was that the member's car park was still locked.  Headed to the new general car park and was handed a member's card/sticker to be displayed in the car by a helpful team member.  The car park looks pretty good, although it doesn't appear that the lights have been hooked up yet.

Walked all the way around the front to the new member's entry gate.  It looks pretty good, with a queue area that funnels you into the park. Passed the new cabanas in Dragon's Kingdom.  Rail Rider has had a bit of paint work done.  The new lockers have been finished off nicely.  This leaves the new grass area more open and free from the lockers and showbags' stall.

The old lake grass area is such an improvement.  I really appreciated how the castle island peddle boat station has been left in place, including an instructional sign and turnstile.  Most people won't notice that Bounty's Revenge was ever there at the front of the park.  The boat now resides between the Grand Prix and Kraken.  It looks good - a fitting tribute.  Buccaneer Battle has a new sign and some cartoony trees.  The Grand Prix now has blue, yellow and black karts.

Going up the hill, Inferno appears to be a much improved version of Freefall.  There are intermittent smoke fx, appropriately sinister music and new theming, although there's currently no cover to the queue area.  Whilst it would have been cool to give the ride a new paint job, the colours aren't far off what you would ideally like anyway.  The ride program remains the same at three shots and one drop.

Abyss was testing early on, with the trains stopping on the mid-run brake.  I saw a large group of Japanese people who were quite excited when the ride was being put through its paces.  The area underneath the ride was looking a little overgrown again.  Funniest commentary of the day has to come from the genius Black Widow ride operator who said that there have been no fatalities this season on the ride.

It was about 12 degrees Celsius when I arrived at the park and there weren't a lot of people swimming.  Water Mountain looks great, with western themed music and clever uses of timber. They've stripped back the paint of the hut and it now looks like it did in the earliest days of the park.  The train and water jets on the Rocky Mountain Rapids were an excellent addition.

Around the back of the park, the junkyard appears to have been pushed further behind the wildlife area, with a greenhouse and plants taking its place.  There's lots of smoke pouring out of the top of the Kahuna Falls volcano, but it didn't seem to be synced with the bucket pouring.

I really liked the redesign of the Kahuna Cafe.  It makes a lot more sense now.  The same could be said for the rest of the park - a bit of thought has been placed into so many things.  It was awesome to find all of these little 'Easter eggs'. 

Food-wise, the cafe really hits the spot.  So many healthy choices and good quality coffee.  Had a breakfast muffin early on and Mark's favourite Chicken Caesar Salad for lunch.  A lot of the staff appear to be learning, but everyone was friendly and welcoming.  Saw Mark and Ross a couple of times too.

IMG_6166b.JPG

IMG_6169b.JPG

IMG_6173b.JPG

IMG_6178b.JPG

IMG_6194b.JPG

IMG_6195b.JPG

IMG_6204b.JPG

IMG_6340b.JPG

IMG_6191b.JPG

IMG_6214b.JPG

IMG_6218b.JPG

IMG_6236c.JPG

IMG_6255b.JPG

IMG_6294b.JPG

IMG_6312b.JPG

IMG_6321b.JPG

IMG_6334b.JPG

IMG_6230b.JPG

Edited by iwerks

Thanks iwerks, the park improvements are looking really good! is there any signage around bounty's grave, explaining what it was?? Good to see they updated the map and made the shape more realistic. And, where abouts in the park is her deathbed???? Was curious as it wasn't on the map and could vaguely see the what I think is the lagoon in the background?? And one final thing, does anyone know if season pass holders still go through the same area as the online ticket holders???

There's literally no sign of where Bounty used to be, except where the new grass has been laid down.  The boat rests up by Kraken.  I think Creativeworks has done a superb job on theming the park and restoring so many signs back to their former glory (be sure to check them out on Facebook).  It would have been nice if there had been a plaque to commemorate the ride, but having the ship wrapped in tentacles was a superb idea.  Interesting side note, the tentacle from the bottom of the Buccaneer Battle pool has disappeared (now that it has done its job?).  

Season Pass holders enter by the main gate or the new gate up by the second car park area, which still did resemble a paddock.  I think it's a clever move breaking up the crowds on entry.

IMG_6202b.JPG

IMG_6170b.JPG

13 hours ago, iwerks said:

IMG_6236c.JPG

Love the look of this area....Plenty of opportunities for slides to fit the theme...A giant gold pan themed bullet bowl slide, mineshaft drop trap door slides, enclosed slides themed to rattlesnakes.

And of course, plenty of options for dry rides and coaster that fit this theme.

PS, are AW gonna buy the masters across the road once it shuts and turn it into an indoor section :P

Edited by Gazza

Ha tim I wouldn't have a clue. And, was inferno (aw drop tower) once a travelling ride as there seems to be a ticket booth control area, as well as a fair style entrance that burns the hell out of ur feet in summer. That's one thing I recommend mark get changed. Too, was freefall shut all season last year, as in the three times I went it was not even testing? And if so, why?

Mark confirmed they had to chase Huss for shock absorbers all last season and the ones they received did not work resulting in the ride not being ready until the season finished. Free Fall was a travelling ride from Germany. Hence you can actual see the trailer under neath it if you look closely. But at least if they ever decide to move it to somewhere else in the park they can without much trouble. Also I wonder when the park map will be updated on the website as it still includes BR.

Edited by Tim Dasco

^Quoting from mobile. Gets em every time.

52 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Exactly. Unless there is an explosion of population and tourism, its not viable. Sadly. :(

Thanks for the confirmation Mark. You can almost hear the little dreams of perth-based theme park enthusiasts slowly crumpling into a kleenex box. :D

Being honest though, I daresay its going to be a long while before any other parks in Aus get one either. *pulls out kleenex*

Just now, AlexB said:

^I had some network issues at work on thursday, and my workstation has been left on over the weekend waiting for the IT guys to restore it. Seems this went through once the network was restored - but i can't seem to edit it now. Oh well.

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, iwerks said:

There's literally no sign of where Bounty used to be, except where the new grass has been laid down.  The boat rests up by Kraken.  I think Creativeworks has done a superb job on theming the park and restoring so many signs back to their former glory (be sure to check them out on Facebook).  It would have been nice if there had been a plaque to commemorate the ride, but having the ship wrapped in tentacles was a superb idea.  Interesting side note, the tentacle from the bottom of the Buccaneer Battle pool has disappeared (now that it has done its job?).  

Season Pass holders enter by the main gate or the new gate up by the second car park area, which still did resemble a paddock.  I think it's a clever move breaking up the crowds on entry.

IMG_6202b.JPG

IMG_6170b.JPG

Thanks for all of the comments guys. The Park is only 98% finished, we are still tidying up a few last strings. One of those (which we didn't see immediately as a priority) is a sign at the site of Bounty's Revenge boat commemorating her service and a bit about her history. It will realistically be a few weeks away.

We also had the CEO and family from DW here on Saturday and while I cannot go into specifics, he was very complimentary.

Both Inferno and Water Mountain will be added to over the next 12 months. We had the option to paint the Inferno ride itself but once we had it erected and working fine, we didn't want to risk taking her down again and so will likely paint and finish off the decking next winter (assuming she is reliable all this season). I rode her on Friday and she's feeling fast, smooth and back to her best I'd say.

Mark.

Thanks mark sounds good. thank you for listening to my request on signage for bountys. This allows new and or first time park goers to understand why the ship is there, and what it means/was. It also commemorates many great times in people's childhood, always serving her duty as a family thrill ride.

p.s: for mi3 are you going along with the theming of horror:abyss and inferno, mythical/sea creatures: kraken, buccaneer or A yerkj extension of some sort, and is there any chance of a resurrection is of where the castle used to be.

I particularly love the tribute to BR @Mark Shaw - I love when parks remember and promote their heritage as it were. There was talk for a long time of Dreamworld placing the double loops \ train from Thunderbolt in the fountain at the entry, but it never eventuated. There are many things we have lost from our parks that many of us truly loved, and would have loved to have seen the park keep, display, and maintain.

I am hopeful (although I doubt i have any worries here in a park such as yours) that the ship as it lays is adequately maintained and doesn't stagnate with dirty standing water and piles of leaves and debris...

1 hour ago, Aw hype said:

Thanks mark sounds good. thank you for listening to my request on signage for bountys. This allows new and or first time park goers to understand why the ship is there, and what it means/was. It also commemorates many great times in people's childhood, always serving her duty as a family thrill ride.

p.s: for mi3 are you going along with the theming of horror:abyss and inferno, mythical/sea creatures: kraken, buccaneer or A yerkj extension of some sort, and is there any chance of a resurrection is of where the castle used to be.

No Problem. We had always planned to have the sign for the reasons you suggest.

• Gazza changed the title to Adventure World 2017- 'MI3' Ride