Speculation and media beat ups - Thunder River Rapids incident

Reanimated35

ToT and Buzzsaw are both thrilling, but they are both essentially shuttle rides, unlike proper coasters like Arkham, Green Lantern, Superman, Scooby Doo, not to mention the new coaster that's coming in.

Hot Wheels and MDMC are the only 'proper' coasters that are billed as thrill rides, and we all know what MDMC is like. Hot Wheels is clearly the main thrilling, big, full length coaster at the park, and while I don't hate it, Dreamworld are desperately in need of a real roller coaster to even come close to matching what Movie World has to offer. Your best coasters at the park should never be shuttle rides like that.

I'm just not on-board with the whole "shuttle coasters aren't real rollercoasters" thing. If a shuttle coaster is a good coaster, then why not count it as one? One of SFMM's most popular coasters is a shuttle coaster (and a ToT clone at that), so I don't agree with your statement that the best coaster at the park should never be a shuttle coaster.

Just my opinion, ToT is my #2 coaster and while I understand I haven't ridden too many coasters it still beats many of MW's full-circuit coasters for me.

Let's get back on topic.

1 hour ago, AllegroCrab said:

ToT and Buzzsaw are both thrilling, but they are both essentially shuttle rides, unlike proper coasters like Arkham, Green Lantern, Superman, Scooby Doo, not to mention the new coaster that's coming in.

Hot Wheels and MDMC are the only 'proper' coasters that are billed as thrill rides, and we all know what MDMC is like. Hot Wheels is clearly the main thrilling, big, full length coaster at the park, and while I don't hate it, Dreamworld are desperately in need of a real roller coaster to even come close to matching what Movie World has to offer. Your best coasters at the park should never be shuttle rides like that.

Pretty much exactly what I meant by a 'real' roller coaster.

Buzzsaw and ToT are great rides though.

Edited by mission

14 hours ago, Gazza said:

Where does it come fron that escape from Krypton is one of the most popular coasters at SFMM?

Never witnessed that on any of my visits, except in the year they first reversed the cars.

I often hear people place it around 4 or 5 after X2, TC and Tatsu or Full Throttle, which among 19 coasters is perfectly reasonable to be "one of the most popular". I have seen it placed higher (ie at #1) too.

It's personal opinion though, I'm pretty sure someone from Australia wouldn't rank it as highly purely because they've been on a similar ride many times, while someone from the UK (as above) would love it because they haven't been on anything similar. I haven't ridden it myself so I do know what I said was going to be very controversial.

Edited by Santa07

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

D/W used to be iconic for sure, but not anymore. They're just another run of the mill theme park cutting costs at every corner, exploting the innocent and now suffering major brand damage. 

IMO i think that its become even more iconic because of what happened. I also think they've turned the page and our now focussing on the future and what is needed to insure that everyone that visits the park has a great time. Ive seen now that you aren't the biggest fan of the park, but if you have a look at the articles with the statements that Dreamworld have given and the evidence to show for it, you will see that they are actually ticking all the right boxes!

1 minute ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

IMO i think that its become even more iconic because of what happened. I also think they've turned the page and our now focussing on the future and what is needed to insure that everyone that visits the park has a great time. Ive seen now that you aren't the biggest fan of the park, but if you have a look at the articles with the statements that Dreamworld have given and the evidence to show for it, you will see that they are actually ticking all the right boxes!

They are only technically ticking all the right boxes because they have no bloody choice to. They literally can't open again until they tick all the right boxes, also they have to tick all the right boxes so the general public will come back again. It's certainly not out of good will. 

Um people spend thousands of dollars going to America with Disneyland at the top of their ticket. Yes i'm sure people would be fine with increased ticket prices. They already know they're a steal at $120 a year anyway. 

D/W used to be iconic for sure, but not anymore. They're just another run of the mill theme park cutting costs at every corner, exploting the innocent and now suffering major brand damage. 

You got to be kidding me? You can sit on your computer saying how much you don't like this park and we will all be at Dreamworld loving Tower Of Terror 2.

1 minute ago, Prequel said:

You got to be kidding me? You can sit on your computer saying how much you don't like this park and we will all be at Dreamworld loving Tower Of Terror 2.

That's fine by me mate, we all have different opinions. If you want to put your life in the hands of dodgy operators then that's your prerogative. As it is my prerogative to boycott the place. 

4 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

That's fine by me mate, we all have different opinions. If you want to put your life in the hands of dodgy operators then that's your prerogative. As it is my prerogative to boycott the place. 

Okay, now this I don't agree with, the operators were NOT dodgy and it was NOT the operators first day at the park! She was the main operator of the Tower Of Terror, and was over at the TRR being trained with the main operator to learn how to operate it, the operators aren't dodgy at all, and if you think that, then read the article stating that each and every operator was given an extensive training course covering EVERYTHING. This is something that pisses me off, because I do my research, most people just read off the media. But you are fine to Boycott the place, judge all you like! :)

Edited by ClassifiedLlama

13 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

Um people spend thousands of dollars going to America with Disneyland at the top of their ticket. Yes i'm sure people would be fine with increased ticket prices. They already know they're a steal at $120 a year anyway. 

No, most of the general public DONT think it's a steal. I wish they did, as if prices for annual passes were raised we'd have more investments in park. But, most average families on the GC alternate which annual pass they buy each year, so they are not going to buy a $250-300 annual pass. Not now that the market has been acclimatised to 3 parks for a year for $99. 

Lots of people do go to the USA, but it's not the same market that makes up the majority of DW/MWs visitors

And to further add, there is no proof that their was dodgy operation of anything at DW, so it might pay to keep your mouth shut. 

24 minutes ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

Okay, now this I don't agree with, the operators were NOT dodgy and it was NOT the operators first day at the park! She was the main operator of the Tower Of Terror, and was over at the TRR being trained with the main operator to learn how to operate it, the operators aren't dodgy at all, and if you think that, then read the article stating that each and every operator was given an extensive training course covering EVERYTHING. This is something that pisses me off, because I do my research, most people just read off the media. But you are fine to Boycott the place, judge all you like! :)

I'm talking about DW when I say dodgy operators. They had Cyclone operating with just one staff member and their cost cutting was evident all throughout the park.

I'm talking about DW when I say dodgy operators. They had Cyclone operating with just one staff member and their cost cutting was evident all throughout the park.

Okay. I thought you were one of those people diving into the media's crap. In terms of that revelation about the Cyclone thing, i totally agree, that was a BAD move by DW.

8 minutes ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

Okay. I thought you were one of those people diving into the media's crap. In terms of that revelation about the Cyclone thing, i totally agree, that was a BAD move by DW.

You could just tell things were leading up to this incident, and i'm not talking about anything the media divulged. I'm talking about the general vibe of the place, rides only operating certain hours of the day so to cut wage costs, numerous rides standing but not operating, the daily complaints about the park being unsafe on social media, etc. I know the DW fanboys will likely be wishing death on me for saying this, but what happened was almost inevitable and its taken a terrible terrible tragedy that could've been avoided for them to finally lift their game. For too long were they allowed to get away with murder. 

Just now, SunshineTom said:

You could just tell things were leading up to this incident, and i'm not talking about anything the media divulged. I'm talking about the general vibe of the place, rides only operating certain hours of the day so to cut wage costs, numerous rides standing but not operating, the daily complaints about the park being unsafe on social media, etc. I know the DW fanboys will likely be wishing death on me for saying this, but what happened was almost inevitable and its taken a terrible terrible tragedy that could've been avoided for them to finally lift their game. For too long were they allowed to get away with murder. 

I could hardly call what happened "Murder" it was a freak accident. As for the numerous rides "Standing but no operating" I would almost view that as a good thing, people want them to be safe, so if their under maintenance what are they crying about? And some of the complaints about the park may not even be true. This woman kicked up a stink because some of the rides weren't open and the belt buckle apparently came undone mid ride, and it just so happens that she brings this up RIGHT AFTER the TRR incident. 

1 minute ago, SunshineTom said:

It wasn't murder, it was a tragic accident. The reason we are all defending Dreamworld is because its like home for us, the incident  was too close to home. You saying it was murder shows you have no respect for what happened.

There nothing inevitable about what occurred at DW.

it was a freak accident that the police & Coroner could not even replicate despite attempting for 3 days...

the park has had no problems in the past with its rides being certified, and as has been spoken with at length, TRR was signed off after it's maintained just weeks before. 

You don't know more than the police, the coroner, third party certifiers, Dreamworld maintenance, Dreamworld management or, by the looks of things, a lot of people here. 

If you don't want to visit the park for whatever reason, then don't, but don't fancify up some bullshit to justify your reasoning 

Just now, Prequel said:

It wasn't murder, it was a tragic accident. The reason we are all defending Dreamworld is because its like home for us, the incident  was too close to home. You saying it was murder shows you have no respect for what happened.

Theres one other thing that really ticks me off... and its the fact that there are so many other parks in the world that have killed 4x the amount of visitors DW has, and yet they are all still open. Dare 4 people lose their lives in a terrible ACCIDENT and here comes a wave of screaming people trying to shut the place down, and then all the "bad experiences" appear on the reviews, coincidence? I think not.