DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

12 minutes ago, Ryande16 said:

Any new foundations closer to WnW?

All of the work is now closer to MW than WnW. They go not quite as far as where all the crates were.

To add to what Brad said, there's some obvious land clearing taken place next to the JL building and the pile drivers are working their way away from the road at the moment. 

Didn't drive into MW so only saw what was visible driving down Entertainment Rd.

did my first ever Paradise Country trip today, pleasant, relaxing half day out. Nice little additions to the annual passes. 

On a side note, today was wrap day for Thor 3, so if you haven't see the sets yet and went a squizz, best head down this weekend as it'll all be splinters by early next week (assuming they don't work the weekend). All the set pieces and props around the sound stages were being torn apart today 

Just wondering, cost wise, is a hyper/mega the best option for Movie World?

Most of the roller coasters at the park so far have been around 16 million Australian dollars (roughly 12.6 million U.S. dollars). For comparison with U.S. hyper coasters, Magnum XL 200 cost 8 million U.S. dollars (10.53 million Australian dollars). This is well in the budget and very possible but considering this is an older hyper and doesn't give a very good ride experience it is pretty unlikely. At the top of the spectrum is Steel Dragon 2000 with a cost of 52 million U.S. dollars (68.43 million Australian dollars). This ride is incredibly long and had a lot of extra supports due to the area being prone to Earth quakes. I think its safe to say that if Movie World was getting a hyper, it wouldn't be this long considering the price and the extra supports (bear in mind that it is partially being built over a swamp so you never know). Then in the middle you have rides like Millenium Force an Nitro wich had costs around 25 million U.S. dollars (32.9 million Australian dollars). A ride like this seems the best bet if Movie World were to get a hyper. It is quite pricy which is the only issue.

I couldn't find a cost of Flash at Lewa Adventure World but have heard the Mack roller coasters aren't super cheap so would price them around the same as above. If this is the case, it would take a fairly big chunk of the 'hundreds of millions' that Movie World is looking into spending.

For a similar price you could get a top wooden roller coaster like Boulder Dash, a high thrill flat ride such as Barn Stormer and a family roller coaster like pandemonium. All of these would offer new experiences at Movie World.

If Movie World spread the release dates out, they could constantly be putting in new rides, catering for thrill seekers (thrilling flat), the middle gap (woodie) and families (family coaster). And all of these are rides that many different age groups would enjoy.

The land cleared is large and out in front. It would make sense for a hyper, considering the Commenwealth Games, but because Movie World is in Australia they hype would die down fairly quickly afterward. The land cleared could fit these rides, maybe even allowing a new themed area (not DC). And realeasing pleanty of new rides would transform movieworld from a half day park to a full day, coupling with Wet n Wild and Sea World would become a pretty big trip to do everything.

From a roller coaster enthusiast perspective I would want a hyper. But from business maybe catering for more audiences would be smart. What are your opinions?

Edited by Intimidator305.

11 minutes ago, Intimidator305. said:

For a similar price you could get a top wooden roller coaster like Boulder Dash

A woodie for me isn't what the park needs the most, while it would be nice I think there are a lot of things that could be better for the park. After another coaster or two added though, I think the park would benefit well from one.

12 minutes ago, Intimidator305. said:

a high thrill flat ride such as Delirium

Yes let's add a frisbee and market it as a 'world's best' coaster. Honestly, that idea is awful, especially since you can get a frisbee just down the road.

13 minutes ago, Intimidator305. said:

or Barn Stormer and a family roller coaster like pandemonium. All of these would offer new experiences at Movie World.

Movieworld already has a fantastic family coaster, as well as several other rides that cater well to families. A family coaster just isn't going to hit the 'world's best' mark. Scooby Doo is certainly world-class for family rides but still doesn't reach the category that this ride has promised us.

I'm sure although it will be more expensive than some of their other rides, you must remember that the bigger they build it the more they'll get out of marketing it. Generally bigger rides have bigger payoffs because the GP are generally inclined to believe the bigger the ride the better.

• joz locked and unlocked this topic

, Magnum XL 200 cost 8 million U.S. dollars (10.53 million Australian dollars). This is well in the budget and very possible

Not really, because you haven't applied indexing to account for increases in construction costs over the past 28 years since Magnum opened, Nor have you accounted for regional factors that cause variations in construction costs between countries, (and even within different parts of a country)

Edited by Gazza

4 hours ago, Intimidator305. said:

Just wondering, cost wise, is a hyper/mega the best option for Movie World?

For a similar price you could get a top wooden roller coaster like Boulder Dash, a high thrill flat ride such as Barn Stormer and a family roller coaster like pandemonium.

If Movie World spread the release dates out, they could constantly be putting in new rides, catering for thrill seekers (thrilling flat), the middle gap (woodie) and families (family coaster). And all of these are rides that many different age groups would enjoy.

It would make sense for a hyper, considering the Commenwealth Games...And realeasing pleanty of new rides would transform movieworld from a half day park to a full day...

From a roller coaster enthusiast perspective I would want a hyper. But from business maybe catering for more audiences would be smart. What are your opinions?

Yes, I believe a hypercoaster would be the best option due to the Commonwealth Games like you said. Remember, MW has been trying to expand their offering to all audiences with Doomsday Destroyer & the surrounding DC Comics Super Villians Unleashed area etc.. And also regarding the rollercoaster, VRTP's CEO said:

...it is of significant gross capital cost...

They wouldn't point this out unless it is one of the most expensive projects they have ever decided to proceed with. The biggest investment in a Gold Coast theme park in Australia so far has been the Storm Coaster which cost $20 million so for this new MW rollercoaster, we're looking at a price tag similar or probably higher. My guess so far for this new rollercoaster is a price tag of $50 million.

Also, MW is a half day park? I thought Whitewater World would have been a half day park?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Is that including shows @Santa07 & @bladex? I have only gone during off-peak periods on various days of the week & ended up staying the whole day. Whitewater World I finished halfway through the day before heading into DW to do more rides/attractions (some that I missed during a whole day DW visit too). Until DW confirm Whitewater World is part of DW (which was seeming to occur in the near future), I'd consider Whitewater World a separate park like DW originally planned it as even if everyone considers it part of DW.

25 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Is that including shows @Santa07 & @bladex? I have only gone during off-peak periods on various days of the week & ended up staying the whole day.

With shows it's more of a 3/4 day park. Assuming queues are ~30mins each (give or take for certain rides) you can get all the popular rides done in half a day if you cram it all in. If the queues are ~20 mins I'm sure there'd be time to fit in shows as well.

After the new coaster I'd be more inclined to say MW is a full-day park, although you need to remember the 'half-day'/'full-day' system isn't 100% just based on time-frames but is more based on the roundedness of the experience you get. Full-day parks generally give a variety of experiences, such as mixing rides with animal encounters as in DW's case.

23 minutes ago, bladex said:

we usually skip the stunt show after seeing it a dozen times already

Yeah, that's what I thought - the more regularly a customer you are, the less the park is a 'full-day' park.

6 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

With shows it's more of a 3/4 day park.

I agree with that - add in lunch plus browsing through souvenir shops (if you are rare visitor), then it is nearly a full day park.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Technically though if we're thinking of it like that then DW is more of a 1 1/2 day park, 2 if you include WWW.

On an average day, in minutes queues are probably around these

ToT - 40
Buzzsaw - 40
HWSW - 40
Claw - 20
Wipeout - 20
Tailspin - 30
Pandemonium - 20
Log Ride - 40
Giant Drop - 30
Motocoaster - 30

Rides are going to take you 2/3 of the day, then you've got the extra things like TI and Corroboree, which would take half a day to do properly, then WWW which is another half a day plus time to appreciate the atmosphere, have lunch, do extra things such as ZE if open or the DW express, that can be just under 2 days with crowds the times above.

36 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Technically though if we're thinking of it like that then DW is more of a 1 1/2 day park, 2 if you include WWW.

That's how I've always seen those parks particularly as a rare visitor of the parks.

36 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

...do extra things such as ZE if open...

What does ZE stand for by the way?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

4 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

That's how I've always seen those parks particularly as a rare visitor of the parks.

What does ZE stand for by the way?

Zombie Evilution, the lasertag game.

Are we expecting the MW coaster to have any track on the ground by the end of the year?

Edited by Glubbo

WBMW is definitely a full day park IMO. However if you go on a low crowd day then of course you will finnish all the rides pretty quick, but who goes to the park to only ride the rides once . I still remember when i went on an extremely low crowd day, i got to ride superman 8 times, arkman asylum  (lethal weapon at the time) 6-7 times, batwing twice, Scooby-Doo 4 times and wild west falls 2 times.

47 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

Zombie Evilution

Thanks - that does match it.

48 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

Are we expecting the MW coaster to have any track on the ground by the end of the year?

I predicted in my guess timetable that track parts will begin to arrive in early December but the installation of the tracks won't occur until early March next year. This is assuming it is a Boxing Day 2017 opening.

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic