Theme Park Maintenance 2018

themagician

Stopped by MW today too. Grabbed some photos. The strapping under the camelback hill is to secure the supports. It wraps around the supports and then anchors to the ground near the base of the first drop. The top section of track from the camelback was also removed and was being bolted back into place when I got there again later in the day. When I was at the McDonald’s across the road, I saw the track piece completely detached and hovering above the hill being held by a crane and being inspected. 

6081BC37-42D9-45CD-8F46-FBCACF0B83C4.jpeg

7A35F1D2-80A9-4CC9-AA91-D08BAB0EACC0.jpeg

5501BF5B-5BA7-4C11-B58F-A72F65704B66.jpeg

50390250-FD1E-4C43-BEA9-03EAA3431A10.jpeg

E164C98C-4C57-490D-8A82-FB2198128EED.jpeg

4EE1D112-7C5A-45B2-8F35-D9A8A0466FFB.jpeg

FE7D444D-6228-4B8D-9F74-586A63148847.jpeg

71066CF1-60CE-4BB6-96A6-5AC51B7BBB17.jpeg

29C2F97B-DE2A-4556-BEB1-746F6764DDB9.jpeg

C69CD1BB-80E9-4C12-ACC4-3FAE70558262.jpeg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

The strapping under the camelback hill is to secure the supports. It wraps around the supports and then anchors to the ground near the base of the first drop. The top section of track from the camelback was also removed and was being bolted back into place when I got there again later in the day. When I was at the McDonald’s across the road, I saw the track piece completely detached and hovering above the hill being held by a crane and being inspected. 

Could this be because that section of track is experiencing a lot of stress from the trains?

The strapping will be to stop the supports moving whilst the track sections are out, which is now obvious from @themagician pictures from today. 

The whole track would be under some tension, especially during the colder mornings as steel contracts when cooled. The endless chains that are part of the strapping setup can then be used to align the supports when the track is reinstated.

I am assuming those sections are removed to check for wear, and possibly new bolts as they would be stretched from the upwards force (air time)?

Edited by red dragin

43 minutes ago, red dragin said:

I am assuming those sections are removed to check for wear, and possibly new bolts as they would be stretched from the upwards force (air time)?

It's plausible, but they literally commenced this work precisely 1 year after it's first ever test run. I can't imagine that this level of maintenance is cost effective - especially if it is required after only 12 months.

Seems strange to me to be removing sections of track on a 12 month old ride. I’ve never seen them remove sections of track from SE or AA during maintenance. That’s not to say it hasn’t been done however, I just wouldn’t imagine anything would need replacing of that magnitude that you’d need to remove track after only 12 months 

It's probably one of the highest force areas of track, so this might be to see what has changed after 12 months, and work out a longer term maintenance schedule from there. This was only the second Mack Hyper, and Flash has a different first element in comparison.

Probably wrong, but that's what I think might be happening.

Edited by red dragin
  • Like 4

Word around town is that MACK are footing the bill for this extensive maintenance as they were the ones who instigated it. If Mack calls and says "We've got to come and check the track in a years time, we'll pay for it and send our engineers down to oversee it" You're not going to dispute that, you're going to provide them with whatever they need.

19 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Seems strange to me to be removing sections of track on a 12 month old ride. I’ve never seen them remove sections of track from SE or AA during maintenance. That’s not to say it hasn’t been done however, I just wouldn’t imagine anything would need replacing of that magnitude that you’d need to remove track after only 12 months 

The operating lease expired so they have to hand the track back to the manufacturer.