Japan - Fuji Q

Gazza

Japan is a very easy country to travel in, and really quite cheap, just make sure you have a roaming bundle or a sim card so you can use maps and translate. You can relax a bit because things aren't a hassle, and its very safe.

Oh and the food is exceptional, doesn't matter if its local or western food.

Everything is geared well to access without a car, so public transport to parks is easy, and every station and park has ample coin lockers to leave your luggage in.

Parks open year round, winter is mostly like a Melbourne winter, though sunset was quite early, just before 5pm.

Operations are slow, but medium and smaller parks never tend to get busy.

The bigger ones get rammed with people, but you can always pay to skip lines or use faspass.

Your mindset changes and you get into "Japanese park mode", if you are at Disney etc, you will get to ride everything becase the operating hours are long, but you have to accept that for a couple of rides you'll just have to wait 2h. And yes definitely arrive an hour before opening so you can nab a fast pass and get in line for a major early.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, iwerks said:

Most of us know the narratives of many of the rides at Disney or Universal. On the Sinbad ride they even offered us a little book of what the story was about. And if you want to ride Jaws, USJ is the last park in the world that has it.

Yeah I would understand many of the narratives, no doubt, but my partner and son would.

i guess for that reason I have never considered Tokyo/Paris Disney as viable options until they have experienced Disneyland first. I just feel like if you are going to do Disney, you do Disneyland, at least the first time. Just my mindset/opinion 

• Like 1

We are looking at doing a Japan trip late this year or early next year.

Just wondering the best way to travel around Japan? Also, I didn’t realise Universal was so far from Tokyo. What’s the best way to travel there? 

Would be looking at doing 

- Disney 

- Fuji Q

- Universal

- Nagashima Spa Land

I went in late March early April a few years ago and would highly recommend them. It wasn’t too cold and wasn’t overly busy either. 

The bullet train will be your friend for travelling long distances. So fly into Tokyo, do Disney, then train to Fuji Q then continue on to Osaka to do Universal. And if possible, fly out from there. While your in Osaka definitely spend a few days in Kyoto too. Beautiful part of the country. If you want some tips for Universal, happy to share 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I went in late March early April a few years ago and would highly recommend them. It wasn’t too cold and wasn’t overly busy either. 

The bullet train will be your friend for travelling long distances. So fly into Tokyo, do Disney, then train to Fuji Q then continue on to Osaka to do Universal. And if possible, fly out from there. While your in Osaka definitely spend a few days in Kyoto too. Beautiful part of the country. If you want some tips for Universal, happy to share 

For Fuji Q, it's much cheaper and simpler and quicker to do it as a day trip with the highway bus from Shinjuku.

You can get an all inclusive Q pack ticket, and departures are available that get you to the park nice and early.

• Like 2

With the rail pass, its good if you want to do a lot of adhoc slightly inefficient travel....random daytrips and the like.

But for me, i only had to do one long and one short Shinkansen trip, plus a lot of travel on private railways (Eg to Parque Espana) so the economics weren't there. My itinerary was more of a loop i guess.

Also, the rail pass doesnt let you use the fastest class Nozomi Shinkansens....And for me, doing the Osaka Tokyo run at full speed was a big thing I wanted to do.

• Like 3

On 17/01/2020 at 1:25 PM, Brad2912 said:

Interested to know from people experiences how they go with ride audio and shows etc being in another language? Does it suck the enjoyment out of it at all when you have no clue what they are saying?

On 18/01/2020 at 12:38 AM, Brad2912 said:

Yeah I would understand many of the narratives, no doubt, but my partner and son would.

i guess for that reason I have never considered Tokyo/Paris Disney as viable options until they have experienced Disneyland first. I just feel like if you are going to do Disney, you do Disneyland, at least the first time. Just my mindset/opinion 

I've always regarded Disneyland as the first stop for any Disney Park virgin, but in terms of affordability, a quick trip to Hong Kong isn't too big of a difference. Almost everything in park is in English, but you can ride Jungle Cruise in three languages by choice of queue, and the Golden Mickeys - or whatever it is now - is a cantonese language show, with English subtitles shown on screens to the side of the stage.

I found that Golden Mickeys was an enjoyable watch, largely ignoring the subtitles as they were a distraction from actually watching the show. Many attractions in other languages follow similar themes, in that you can still enjoy the ride\show without necessarily having it spoken to you in English.

if you're unsure about foreign language parks, but can't hit L.A. first - try HKDL instead.

• Like 2