Jungle Rush Coaster

mattcrombie

I think the point of the turn table is so the coaster can go backwards while keeping the ride a full circuit. The ride is supposed to start forwards, and then go backwards, or backwards and then go forwards, and that wouldn’t be possible as a simple shuttle coaster as the ride would always start forwards.

Still a weird investment from dreamworld tho ngl

38 minutes ago, New display name said:

I don't understand what you are saying.

Sorry was in a rush while writing that had to get off a cable car.

Basically Dreamworld has implied that you either start the ride going backwards and end it going forwards, or start it forwards and end it going backwards (depending on what way the train comes into the station, as if a train ends a ride backwards into the station, it’s next ride do the first half on the coaster backwards until the turn table & vice versa). The turn track is being used to change the orientation of the train during some point in the ride, and I don’t think it’s meant to be an ultra exciting element. 

2 minutes ago, Natti_amusements said:

Sorry was in a rush while writing that had to get off a cable car.

😻

2 minutes ago, Natti_amusements said:

Basically Dreamworld has implied that you either start the ride going backwards and end it going forwards, or start it forwards and end it going backwards (depending on what way the train comes into the station, as if a train ends a ride backwards into the station, it’s next ride do the first half on the coaster backwards until the turn table & vice versa). The turn track is being used to change the orientation of the train during some point in the ride, and I don’t think it’s meant to be an ultra exciting element. 

DW has touted it as something special otherwise they would not have mentioned it.  There are already other ways to achieve a backswitch which are not as complex and are proven.  I am saying if it ends up like the prototype, what is the point, when a switchback is already archivable without the complexity.?

2 hours ago, New display name said:

DW has touted it as something special otherwise they would not have mentioned it.

How have you not yet seen in this space, or any others, that the purpose of marketing is to fluff up what may otherwise be seen as mundane? Dozens of examples of meaningless "world's firsts", records, etc. come to mind without the need for any research. This does exactly what it says on the tin, it's a turntable that holds you at an inclination instead of being completely flat, meaning it can function like a full-circuit alternative to a boomerang.

2 hours ago, New display name said:

I am saying if it ends up like the prototype, what is the point, when a switchback is already archivable without the complexity.?

If it was a normal boomerang/shuttle coaster, it would be locked to operating with only one train, it would need to traverse the layout twice (thus worse capacity & a shorter ride), and it wouldn't be able to use the established precedent that riding backwards is a premium experience as it'd happen every cycle. If it was a switch track like ST, it would need to be launched (meaning it would assumedly cost more to operate), it would need special backwards seating to capitalize off of said precedent, and it plainly just wouldn't be a unique selling point for Vekoma. I think the purpose of an inclined turntable goes beyond Jungle Rush, as being a capacity-friendly, unique to the market hybrid of their full-circuit, more expensive family launched coasters and their cheaper, shorter family boomerangs. That way you get the 'spectacle' (for want of a better word), pacing, and theming opportunity of a full-circuit ride, with the 'premium' of, and rerideability due to the chance of, riding backwards. What's the point of a tilt track when a drop is already achievable without the complexity? Innovation, uniqueness, and (perhaps most importantly) a selling point.

The main downside/confusing factor IMO is that, if it truly does operate that way, the ops'll be doing every second pass-through in reverse, or in the opposite direction, which'd add complexity to checking restraints.

Edited by Tricoart

Will be interesting to see how they do the backwards mode. Will it have a voting system like Fury? Be random? Seperate queues like Hard/Soft style on Serpent Slayer?

Also indoors vs outdoors for the turntable itself. Outdoors provides the spectacle, whereas indoors could be interesting if combined it with a themed show scene. Something like Leviathan's preshow during the turntable would be great.

12 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Will be interesting to see how they do the backwards mode. Will it have a voting system like Fury? Be random? Seperate queues like Hard/Soft style on Serpent Slayer?

Also indoors vs outdoors for the turntable itself. Outdoors provides the spectacle, whereas indoors could be interesting if combined it with a themed show scene. Something like Leviathan's preshow during the turntable would be great.

If I had to guess, though it'd be thematically interesting for it to be indoors, I reckon the turntable'll be outdoors, and at most have some set pieces nearby (rockwork, plants, etc.), plus maybe some accompanying audio. Also currently think (or, at least, hope) that it'll either be 2 separate queues, or perhaps a split in the queue like what you'd see on a wing coaster. If it was random, it may lead to further operation issues w/ people requesting to ride forwards/backwards due to preference, motion sickness, etc.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

My understanding of the attraction is, if the coaster starts the day travelling forward, it will reach the incline pivoting turntable rotating (whatever you want to call it) track. The train will then be travelling backwards and will complete the rest of the course backwards. It will then arrive back into the station backwards, therefore the next time the track leaves the station it will depart backwards, but then arrive back into the station forwards. And so on.

This means the coaster offers two different experiences and you never know which one it will be until you are boarding the train. 

I don’t know if that is 100% accurate, but that’s my current understanding and knowledge of how the coaster will operate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, themagician said:

This means the coaster offers two different experiences and you never know which one it will be until you are boarding the train. 

I heard the exact same thing and that the turntable will be indoors (in animations you can see a cave so i’m guessing the ride would go in there, go through the turntable then come back out a different side.)

If this is the case, it would just be the one general line as either way you’ll be travelling backwards and forwards during each ride cycle just at differing times to the last cycle. I can’t wait till this ride starts construction so we can see what it really is as there’s so much mystery around it currently.

17 minutes ago, themagician said:

My understanding of the attraction is, if the coaster starts the day travelling forward, it will reach the incline pivoting turntable rotating (whatever you want to call it) track. The train will then be travelling backwards and will complete the rest of the course backwards. It will then arrive back into the station backwards, therefore the next time the track leaves the station it will depart backwards, but then arrive back into the station forwards. And so on.

I don’t know if that is 100% accurate, but that’s my current understanding and knowledge of how the coaster will operate.

Yeah, that was the knowledge I was basing my above theory off, as it’d assumedly look rather awkward to have the turntable high enough to gain enough momentum to traverse the layout after disengaging, but still have it be located indoors. And, seeing as it’s two different experiences (& therefore more rerideablility & preferences), I was thinking they could possibly load front riders separately from back riders via a split in the queue like those on B&M Wings), and alternate between those groups per cycle (I guess kinda like a fast track vs general riders? Idk what to compare it to, hopefully I’m making sense though). 

Edited by Tricoart

9 hours ago, New display name said:

If this turntable element doesn't end up turning at least 90 degrees, it will go down as one of the stupidest elements ever seen on a coaster.

250913583_gHKeQV01.jpg.b9a1f9ab5e38d9304cc52b8d89906f86.thumb.jpg.38d23f83e569ec893c48b08af4c657cf.jpg

Why is it a stupid element?

Plenty of coasters have switch tracks that don’t move the train at all and still have good function in the ride. 

It’ll still add something different to Australia’s line up whilst allowing for a surprise part of the ride. 

I mean that assumes this is even the element for DWs coaster. 

5 hours ago, themagician said:

My understanding of the attraction is

Didn't consider that! I like the idea.

6 hours ago, Tricoart said:

If I had to guess, though it'd be thematically interesting for it to be indoors, I reckon the turntable'll be outdoors, and at most have some set pieces nearby (rockwork, plants, etc.), plus maybe some acco mpanying audio.

I'd prefer indoors, but yeah I think outdoors is the most likely option. Would work quite well with even a little bit of theming and audio.

15 hours ago, Tricoart said:

How have you not yet seen in this space, or any others, that the purpose of marketing is to fluff up what may otherwise be seen as mundane? Dozens of examples of meaningless "world's firsts", records, etc. come to mind without the need for any research. This does exactly what it says on the tin, it's a turntable that holds you at an inclination instead of being completely flat, meaning it can function like a full-circuit alternative to a boomerang.

If it was a normal boomerang/shuttle coaster, it would be locked to operating with only one train, it would need to traverse the layout twice (thus worse capacity & a shorter ride), and it wouldn't be able to use the established precedent that riding backwards is a premium experience as it'd happen every cycle. If it was a switch track like ST, it would need to be launched (meaning it would assumedly cost more to operate), it would need special backwards seating to capitalize off of said precedent, and it plainly just wouldn't be a unique selling point for Vekoma. I think the purpose of an inclined turntable goes beyond Jungle Rush, as being a capacity-friendly, unique to the market hybrid of their full-circuit, more expensive family launched coasters and their cheaper, shorter family boomerangs. That way you get the 'spectacle' (for want of a better word), pacing, and theming opportunity of a full-circuit ride, with the 'premium' of, and rerideability due to the chance of, riding backwards. What's the point of a tilt track when a drop is already achievable without the complexity? Innovation, uniqueness, and (perhaps most importantly) a selling point.

The main downside/confusing factor IMO is that, if it truly does operate that way, the ops'll be doing every second pass-through in reverse, or in the opposite direction, which'd add complexity to checking restraints.

Why are you telling me this stuff.  99.9% of people on Parkz know the coaster is going to go backwards and it's not what the question was.  

13 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

Why is it a stupid element?

What does it achieve that isn't already out there?  All that engineering to move the train 2m sidewards is stupid when it can already be achieved in less proven complex ways.  As the element stands at the moment it's stupid but as I said, it's only stupid is if the final product doesn't move the train greater than 90deg.

@Gobbledokthank you for replying to "the actual" question.

16 hours ago, Tricoart said:

If it was a switch track like ST, it would need to be launched (meaning it would assumedly cost more to operate)

This is absolute garbage. Switch tracks don't need launches - as a matter of fact, Expedition Everest utilises a switch on an incline and gravity lets the train continue underway. I think you're talking out of your ass.

If it was a normal boomerang/shuttle coaster, it would be locked to operating with only one train, it would need to traverse the layout twice (thus worse capacity & a shorter ride)

I don't believe @New display name ever suggested a boomerang in the discussion for the point you're arguing - you've introduced this yourself.

the ops'll be doing every second pass-through in reverse, or in the opposite direction, which'd add complexity to checking restraints.

Oh geez you're right. Someone better go check on the Rivals and Leviathan cast members who have to change direction on the same train!

15 hours ago, Ogre said:

From all the marketing we've seen so far, the track only has one reversing point, so every other ride will be the opposite way as it will return to the station in the opposite direction to how it dispatched. Voting probably isn't going to work. You're either going to have separate queue lines, or you're going to be random.

I do hope they return to a non-grouped station queuehouse - give each row a lane and let people self group. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joz said:

Surely having only one reversing point and starting every second train backwards is stupid? Is this an actual thing or is this people flinging themselves waaaaay off the deep end with speculation based off of essentially no information?

First time I've heard of it is here.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

This is absolute garbage. Switch tracks don't need launches - as a matter of fact, Expedition Everest utilises a switch on an incline and gravity lets the train continue underway. I think you're talking out of your ass.

Okay, there’s a point, but that’s a different example to ‘a switch track like ST’. We’ll never know for sure why Vekoma/DW opted to use this over a similar (but modernised) system to Expedition Everest, but the aforementioned option could be seen as more efficient for Jungle Rush’s use case, from an outsider’s perspective. If I had to guess, though, it’d come back to Vekoma perhaps already making the technology as a bridge between their family models, and Dreamworld opting for it instead so they can use the “world’s first”.

I don't believe @New display name ever suggested a boomerang in the discussion for the point you're arguing - you've introduced this yourself.

And, just as I never suggested an Expedition Everest-like system, it was bought up as an explanation/example.

Oh geez you're right. Someone better go check on the Rivals and Leviathan cast members who have to change direction on the same train!

That’s a predictable thing on every cycle, with one row at the end of the train. I’d just be interested as to how the ops are trained to check the backwards train, if they walk the opposite direction down the train, or just check them the same direction with the riders facing away from them.

32 minutes ago, joz said:

Surely having only one reversing point and starting every second train backwards is stupid? Is this an actual thing or is this people flinging themselves waaaaay off the deep end with speculation based off of essentially no information?

AFAIK it’s based off assumption, (maybe one or two people’s insider info, idk tho) and ‘the ability to run both backwards and forwards’ in the description they’ve given. We pretty much have nothing to go off for most aspects of the ride, though.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, joz said:

This isn't the first time it's been mentioned.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

First time I've heard of it is here.

Here, yes - but back on page one - observe:

On 24/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, themagician said:

The coaster will go up an inclined track forward/backward, the train will be held in place, the track will rotate about 20 degrees on its axis and then the train will be released and will travel in the opposite direction. Which means the train will arrive back into the station facing the opposite way. The coaster was marketed as travelling in both directions during the presentation and you don’t know which way you will be leaving the station.

My understanding is the entire ABC kids area will be demolished, potentially even the restaurant and will be used for the new coaster and vintage cars. 

On 24/11/2022 at 1:05 PM, Gazza said:

So is it something like this?

Train can leave either fowards or backwards, and then the turntable connects into the main course with a transfer at the end to get it back into the station?

image.thumb.png.5dbedfaf76e5c54dc10dee9850b5fade.png

Or just a singular turntable and every 2nd train faces backwards?

image.thumb.png.053778102a9cbff5fcd821a1dad9b8cc.png

On 24/11/2022 at 1:08 PM, themagician said:

It’s this. Every train Will experience going forwards or backwards. But you’ll either board the ride one way and return to the station facing the other. 

There will also be dedicated ‘show moments’ where the train will slow down. My understanding is it’s a similar concept to Hadgrids magical creature coaster at Universal Orlando. Not the same budget or scale and more whole family focused.

The coaster track is by Vekoma and cost less than Steel Taipan, but the entire attraction will cost $35 million due to the immersive theming and show scenes 

On 24/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

If it's this one, I hope they do two queues, so you can choose your experience. If left to chance I see a bottleneck as people let others go in front because they're waiting for the correct facing seat - like waiting for the front but exponentially worse.

On 24/11/2022 at 1:15 PM, themagician said:

My understanding is it will be one queue and you won’t know what way you’ll be boarding. The experience of the coaster means that everyone riding will go forwards and backwards at one point.

On 24/11/2022 at 1:16 PM, Gazza said:

Depending on the layout, you could make it half and half, and have the turntable at the midpoint so its balanced. Depends if the first half or the latter half is better backwards though.

It's a cool concept. Panic Coaster Back Daaan does something like this with its layout, but you go around twice so you every train starts the same way.

On 24/11/2022 at 2:29 PM, rappa said:

I wouldn't take the turntable wording too literally... this could easily mean 'flip track' as well. 
Think it's pretty obvious that this ride will feature a forwards and backwards component which utilises a track switch to achieve this. Think Firechaser Express at Dollywood for some inspo

All of these posts were early on after the announcement. The first mention I can see of it comes from Magician, and although his second hand observances (when he wasn't present) have been found lacking, his first hand knowledge of things does tend to be fairly reliable.

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

but that’s a different example to ‘a switch track like ST’.

Only if you choose to nitpick. If you want to argue about a fliptrack as opposed to a sliding track, leviathan uses a sliding track for it's maintenance bay, and it isn't launched either. You're trying really hard to justify your statement as correct when it's flawed. Just let it go.

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

That’s a predictable thing on every cycle

So a ride that is reliably reversed on every other cycle isn't predictable?

@DaptoFunlandGuydo you not realise how much dribble I talk and you want me to remember the first page.  Talk about high expectations.

On 24/11/2022 at 11:24 AM, themagician said:

The coaster will go up an inclined track forward/backward, the train will be held in place, the track will rotate about 20 degrees on its axis and then the train will be released and will travel in the opposite direction. Which means the train will arrive back into the station facing the opposite way. The coaster was marketed as travelling in both directions during the presentation and you don’t know which way you will be leaving the station.

My understanding is the entire ABC kids area will be demolished, potentially even the restaurant and will be used for the new coaster and vintage cars. 

@themagicianyou have a lot of explaining to do because you started this rumour.

• Love it! 1

I still dont see the hate for this pivot element 

Nor do I understand why its any worse or more complicated of an element than a flipping switch track
If anything seems like it would be simpler mechanically than the flipping track or at least the same but instead of the riders just sitting on a static piece of track they experience an unexpected movement during the switch

• Like 2