Jungle Rush Coaster

mattcrombie

2 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Maybe it’s to help distinguish backwards/forwards cycles?

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think they’re planning to do backwards cycles. It’s never been explicitly stated and honestly i doubt it because more people get backwards sick than you think, particularly those in the demographic that jungle rush attracts.

While it’s true that the ride changes directions twice throughout the course (backwards for the mid section before going forwards for the outdoor section), if movie world struggles to get people to fill seats in the rivals backwards row (even when it was cheap) I can’t see people lining up to ride a full train backwards if it’s an option.

Edited by Baconjack

How you explain family Boomerang coasters. They are more or less 50-50 forwards and backwards?

Besides, as per the original announcement:

The coaster will go up an inclined track forward/backward, the train will be held in place, the track will rotate about 20 degrees on its axis and then the train will be released and will travel in the opposite direction. Which means the train will arrive back into the station facing the opposite way. The coaster was marketed as travelling in both directions during the presentation and you don’t know which way you will be leaving the station.

And the website:

It will include 12 airtime elements, dedicated show moments and the ability to run both backwards and forwards!

even when it was cheap

When?

Edited by Gazza

In the sunrise interview they state the second train is built to be backwards facing. I'm guessing you'll hit the turntable twice so you return to the station the way you got on? This way guests can choose which experience they want to go on

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think they’re planning to do backwards cycles. It’s never been explicitly stated and honestly i doubt it because more people get backwards sick than you think, particularly those in the demographic that jungle rush attracts.

In the Sunrise segment where they show the trains, the Dreamworld staff member that was interviewed states that riders’ll be able to choose between riding forwards & backwards.

• Thanks 1

Based on the layout I reckon you’ll head up the lift, swivel towards the right, complete the right (indoor) section backwards, before going up the lift again and swiveling towards the left, then completing the layout forwards. That means you will always return to the station forwards.

CD9E3195-6E52-472C-AD8B-625CDF6DD808.thumb.jpeg.b176f787dfdc3356e4b780c60e8d245c.jpeg

Obviously this could change and it could be anything but if it was to go through the other way (say dropping straight down the lift and travelling through that indoor section) I don’t think the train has the momentum to reach the switch track again + that curve looks a bit too tight to be heading straight down. 

Didn’t see the sunrise segment lol but that’s new. Backwards train probably is only going to run for 3 months of the year anyhow because dreamworld are not going to run it on 2 train mode for the bulk of the year. Highly doubt they charge money for it, what you’re getting 2 backwards trips as opposed to 1? Hardly a good sell

Edited by Baconjack

16 hours ago, Baconjack said:

if movie world struggles to get people to fill seats in the rivals backwards row (even when it was cheap) I can’t see people lining up to ride a full train backwards if it’s an option.

the difference is between cheap and free. 

Dreamworld weren't charging people to ride TOT when it got turned backwards. Entire coaster trains are reversed on rides overseas on the regular. Not to mention the big Disney rides that have direction changes like Expedition Everest, Big Grizzly Mountain, or even Universal's Mummy coasters (though the Mummy is obviously not family market targeted)

If people are going to get sick from going backwards, then the ride is already not for them as it does both. 

and in case you can't watch the video, here is the actual quote:

Michelle Erasmus – Dreamworld Operations Director:

“What makes this one different is that we have two coaster trains, one is built to be forward facing and the other one is built to be backwards facing, so when guests leave the station they’ll get to choose their adventure.”

15 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Anyone wanna take bets that the backwards train will be an upcharge?

I'll take that bet. If it is an upcharge, i'll buy you a turnstile. If it isn't, you shut the fuck up.

14 hours ago, Baconjack said:

That means you will always return to the station forwards.

Unless of course, you start the ride backwards, yeah?

I speculate both trains run forwards through the first block section. "Forwards" train 180s on the turntable, switch-tracks, and completes second block section forwards. 180 on turntable again, switch-track, third block section forwards, enters station forwards.

"Backwards" train doesn't 180 on the turntable, switch-tracks, and completes second block section backwards. Doesn't 180 on turntable again, switch-track, third block section forwards, enters station forwards.

Unless the "backwards" train starts/finishes backwards, and completes one rotation on the turntable (either second or third pass-through).

Idfk.

25 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

"Forwards" train 180s on the turntable

The turntable can’t rotate anywhere near enough to facilitate this. Disregarding that it’s an inclined turntable on a flat pivot point, meaning doing a complete 180° turn would have it sloped to exit the opposite direction of the continuing track, the catwalks & supports don’t allow it, & the train/turntable track itself would smack straight into the ride building.

I feel like there are 2 scenarios: One that is better but negates the choice entirely, and one that is rather unlikely given the plans, but is the only real way that any choice of forwards/backwards would make sense. The first option is the main one, that the ‘choice’ is solely referring to which half of the ride will be travelled backwards, with one half needing to be no matter what. The second, less ideal/likely option is that you choose what half of the ride you’re wanting to go on, dependent on the way the trains are oriented at the time, and not doing both halves in one cycle as was presumed. That seems like an operational nightmare with the station setup that exists (as well as a bit of a letdown) though, so I’d like to assume the former will be true, and the ‘choice’ only exists to offer more rerideability/thrill by choosing to ride the faster section backwards, and not for anyone that is averse to going backwards at all.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

Just looking at that GIF, lets say the ride goes up the turntable and around the red part then back up the turntable, would there be an option to make it go to red again and make it loop as long as they want? Would be good for influencers making a "who can stay on the rollercoaster the longest" video.

30 minutes ago, TBoy said:

Just looking at that GIF, lets say the ride goes up the turntable and around the red part then back up the turntable, would there be an option to make it go to red again and make it loop as long as they want? Would be good for influencers making a "who can stay on the rollercoaster the longest" video.

A practical use case for this would be, if the weather isn’t permitting for the ride to run in the dominantly outdoor section, but it’s favourable enough to run the indoor section, cycling that once or twice instead. Though, given the (hopeful) on-ride storytelling focus, the fact that doing so would necessitate 1 train ops/significantly lower capacity, and the already niche use case even in a more practical scenario (I doubt people’d want to ride/staff it in such conditions anyway), I’d be surprised if such a mode was programmed. At the end of the day, if a second go-around on either half were to be needed for whatever reason (turntable stuck in position, second half valley, etc.), there’s always manual operation/evacs.

Edited by Tricoart

14 hours ago, TBoy said:

Just looking at that GIF, lets say the ride goes up the turntable and around the red part then back up the turntable, would there be an option to make it go to red again and make it loop as long as they want?

The implication I took from Dreamworld specifying that there is a forward and a backwards train, is that the actual chassis underneath is designed to only travel one direction, and it's just how the body on top is mounted that orientates the direction of travel. 

Looping the red section continuously would have the chassis end up facing the wrong way. 

Logically you would engineer the chassis to travel both directions (if that's possible?), as single train operations are common here in Australia.

Otherwise Dreamworld will always have to run the forward facing train year round, and those wanting to ride backwards might miss out, outside of peak times. Or run both trains constantly, with the backwards one potentially running with limited loadings. 

Edited by red dragin

18 minutes ago, red dragin said:

The implication I took from Dreamworld specifying that there is a forward and a backwards train, is that the actual chassis underneath is designed to only travel one direction, and it's just how the body on top is mounted that orientates the direction of travel. 

Looping the red section continuously would have the chassis end up facing the wrong way. 

Logically you would engineer the chassis to travel both directions (if that's possible?), as single train operations are common here in Australia.

Otherwise Dreamworld will always have to run the forward facing train year round, and those wanting to ride backwards might miss out, outside of peak times. Or run both trains constantly, with the backwards one potentially running with limited loadings. 

Again, both trains will travel in both forward & backward orientations throughout the layout, therefore it seems almost impossible that they’d somehow limit each train to only run in a single orientation/direction by design. In the case of one-train ops, they could keep either one of the 2 trains in the maintenance bay & keep the other cycling throughout the normal course, or any other iteration of the course that may (but likely wouldn’t) occur, I’d imagine without any real issue.

Edited by Tricoart

The actual chassis (disregard the body) would travel the same route, based on the animation by WallyWorld. 

As I said, logically you'd design it to run both directions, but Dreamworld have painted each train differently and stated they will have a forward and a backward train. 

The stills posted above aren't clearing this up either, as the brown train has a bumper, but the green train appears to be on a jig still.