TBoy

Abyss vs. Big Dipper III  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the options, and the one with the most votes will win.

• Big Dipper III (Luna Park Sydney)
    • Abyss (Adventure World)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/02/23 at 01:00 PM

3 hours ago, TomiJ said:

I never Abyss but have been on Saw the ride at Thorpe Park (very similar) . I have been on big dipper 3.

My vote is big dipper 3

Yep pretty much same situation for me. Saw The Ride was pretty good but slightly rough for me, intense in certain sections though. Was Big Dipper III for me as well, really fun experience that I’m glad is in my backyard! Would really like to ride Abyss soon, as it’s one of the only major coasters in Aus I haven’t ridden 😅

Having ridden Big Dipper last night, something must be seriously wrong with it at the moment. That was the most rattly roughest coaster I have ever ridden. From off ride you can see the train literally shaking. The launch and layout are fun but there is something seriously wrong with the train cos that was horrible. Couldn't re ride it. Abyss, Arkham and gold coaster are like butter in comparison. 

Edited by Tim Dasco

3 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Having ridden Big Dipper last night, something must be seriously wrong with it at the moment. That was the most rattly roughest coaster I have ever ridden. From off ride you can see the train literally shaking. The launch and layout are fun but there is something seriously wrong with the train cos that was horrible. Couldn't re ride it. Abyss, Arkham and gold coaster are like butter in comparison. 

I rode it last weekend (three times) and, while there was a definite rattle, it had nothing on the violent shaking Arkham got towards the end of its life. The crowds have been pretty heavy this season and the heat can't have helped either. It may be due up for maintenance but they could be holding off until after peak season.

• Like 1

Big Dipper and Abyss are both great rides that run rough in summer just by nature of the heat. Abyss was a bit rattly when new, can’t imagine what it’s like now. Abyss should have had lap bars from the start too. Layout wise Big Dipper has abyss beat. No ride in this country flies through its layout like Big Dipper does especially when it’s done a few cycles during the day. And it runs a lot smoother in winter except for the valley between the non inverting loop and the immelman

Arkham was like being in a violent car accident in its last couple of years. Gold Coaster was pretty nasty before it got the new trains, now it’s just a bit jerky in 1 or 2 parts.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

I went on Arkham pretty close to the end of it's lifespan, and it was like floating on a cloud in comparison to Cyclone (Gold Coaster pre-reno). And, in my opinion, the (by no means painful) jostle it had only enhanced the ride experience for my pre-enthusiast self, being an out-of-control machine cobbled together in a prison yard to make people go insane.

Anyways, haven't been on Abyss or BD3 yet (am hoping to head down to Sydney this year or next), but imo BD3 has the superior layout, and gets extra points for being one of the most unique coasters in Australia. Plus, if the launches pack as much punch as the ones on JR, it's definitely the better coaster.

Edited by Tricoart