'Wizard of Oz' at Movie World - Why?

latterature

Personally, I'm stoked about the new Wizard of Oz precinct at Movie World. I'm excited to see the park embrace a brand new area themed to an iconic Hollywood classic.

However, I cannot understand the business rationale behind such a expensive investment.

As iconic as the film is, I cannot image it carries the same cultural resonance it had even thirty years ago when the park first opened. While lots of people are understandably sick of DC-themed attractions at MW, superheroes are undeniably big money at the moment. Are kids born post-2000 even familiar with the Wizard of Oz? I can't image, with the endless streaming options on ever single device, kids are sitting down to watch a fantasy film from 1939 (though perhaps I'm wrong).

So my question is: who is this new precinct for? I'm sure it can't just be for the park enthusiasts like me who happen to love old movies.

Any speculation welcome.

The 1939 film's copyright expires in 2035.  WB are going to milk it for everything they can while they still own it. 

It's a classic film that parents will know and VRTP are probably getting the licensing for a very cheap price.  It's also smart because it's an entire precinct based on a very well-known IP that won't cost them a cent after 2035.

All of L. Frank Baum's books are already Public Domain, which means Village Roadshow could do their own Oz films or TV shows in the future.

Not gonna lie I personally don't see the hype in this IP, I have never seen the film and most people my age haven't either in my friendship circle. I recon a family land to willy Wonka would have been so much better. I suppose they have a giant show building (LTRR) that could always get a willy Wonka ride boat ride down the track when driving school goes....

In my opinion a Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory dark ride (boat or trackless) would be the world most iconic family ride! 

Edited by Tim Dasco

In my opinion I love the idea of a Wizard of Oz themed land. It's a timeless classic watched by many generations and people still love it today. And it is also a break from DC themed lands (thank god). The theming also looks 100 times better than Arkham Asylum and will be one of the best themed lands of the park with Wild West Falls also close.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, latterature said:

As iconic as the film is

Imma stop you right there though - 

The original novel was written 123 years ago. L Frank Baum wrote 14 full length books, and the universe didn't end there - with dozens of other, canon-recognised sequels, with books still being written and released in the 2020's.

A quick check of Wiki shows 40 canonical books in total, with the most recent one published in 2017. It shows theatre adaptations spanning 1902 to 2018 (and Wicked is still touring). TV and Film adaptations continue to be made to this day.

The universe is very much alive, and it doesn't need only the original story \ judy garland film to keep it alive (although that is the most recognisable). 

I think the biggest, smartest move in choosing oz, is that it is familiar, an easy story to relay to kids to get them invested in the universe, and all of the original Baum stories are out of copyright meaning licencing the universe isn't a problem (unless you want to use indicia that are still covered). The items that are subject to licence are WB properties though, so their existing agreements probably permit their use. 

I find it strange that there has been no mention on any shops in this new land. IP-based lands are a great opportunity to sell merchandise and goodies because  a lot of the leg work to convince somebody to purchase has already been done for you. There is an incredible opportunity to have an Oz themed bakery that sells delicious & unique pastries that people can post on Instagram (I know, I hate it as well but that's the world we live in). Even a simple stand selling in-universe merchandise such as shirts celebrating a visit to the Emerald City would be great.

In fact, thinking back on it, shops just seem to be a low priority for any new developments in our parks. Some free standing shops such as these from Galaxy's Edge could go a long way in WOO and retroactively installed into New Atlantis:

Expectations vs Reality: Concept Art for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Compared  to What Was Built

5 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

given it’d likely be closed except for in school holiday periods I don’t see a point 

Which is a shame, really. There is a reason why Disney invests so heavily in marketing their food and beverage options and making sure they're as photogenic as possible. At the end of the day the guest is essentially purchasing a product that becomes free marketing for the business. 

57 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The original novel was written 123 years ago. L Frank Baum wrote 14 full length books, and the universe didn't end there - with dozens of other, canon-recognised sequels, with books still being written and released in the 2020's.

A quick check of Wiki shows 40 canonical books in total, with the most recent one published in 2017. It shows theatre adaptations spanning 1902 to 2018 (and Wicked is still touring). TV and Film adaptations continue to be made to this day.

The universe is very much alive, and it doesn't need only the original story \ judy garland film to keep it alive (although that is the most recognisable). 

I think the biggest, smartest move in choosing oz, is that it is familiar, an easy story to relay to kids to get them invested in the universe, and all of the original Baum stories are out of copyright meaning licencing the universe isn't a problem (unless you want to use indicia that are still covered). The items that are subject to licence are WB properties though, so their existing agreements probably permit their use. 

One minute you're fighting for OZ and the next minute you say DW doesn't need its own OZ..     My head is spinning. 😵

Edited by New display name

51 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

I find it strange that there has been no mention on any shops in this new land. IP-based lands are a great opportunity to sell merchandise and goodies because  a lot of the leg work to convince somebody to purchase has already been done for you. There is an incredible opportunity to have an Oz themed bakery that sells delicious & unique pastries that people can post on Instagram (I know, I hate it as well but that's the world we live in). Even a simple stand selling in-universe merchandise such as shirts celebrating a visit to the Emerald City would be great.

In fact, thinking back on it, shops just seem to be a low priority for any new developments in our parks. Some free standing shops such as these from Galaxy's Edge could go a long way in WOO and retroactively installed into New Atlantis:

Expectations vs Reality: Concept Art for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Compared  to What Was Built

Yeah I don't think Doomsday mentioned it's store during the initial announcements \ plans released. I think Merch is a given, and while I don't think we'll see a full counter service location with it's own kitchen, i think a bakery or something similar where products can be pre-prepared and then just final touches put on prior to service would be just peachy. I do think that the arkham queuehouse has a lot of space inside of it for them to fit in some amazing 'emerald city stores'.

38 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I think our parks know they are not Disney, and trying to emulate Disney with less resources is probably a bigger fail that just doing their own thing

there's a difference between multibillion dollar attractions that our parks could simply never afford, versus producing a photogenic $7 pastry and a $12 loaded milkshake. Heck - if Betty's Burgers can do it, there's no excuse not to offer that sort of thing in today's IG world.

14 minutes ago, New display name said:

One minute you're fighting for OZ and the next minute you say DW doesn't need its own OZ..     My head is spinning. 😵

Well grab hold of your ears so you can listen - 

A 10 year old IP (actually most of the properties are older than that) is not bringing anyone new to the park. Retaining it, at some unknown but likely stupidly high expense, at a time where the park is in flux, and needs it's money for reinvestment in things that will actively draw more guests to the park, it's a no brainer to drop the licence.

On the other hand, a brand-new-land coming to a park that isn't struggling through a recovery, whose whole premise is 'movies' should be actively trying to theme this new land around a central idea - which they are doing - with a product that continues to be relevant, while economising by using IP that is out, or nearly out of copyright and therefore is likely to cost far less than sticking the latest superhero on it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

Is it any less relevant than Scooby Doo which is a crowd pleaser ride? It seems like a very immersive and timeless family addition. Well that is assuming it get’s built like the concept art.  

Fair point.

I would argue that, while the Spooky Coaster is (and, according to the latest from Village, will continue to be) themed to one specific live-action movie from 2002, the characters are still recognisable as part of wider franchise; kids can probably work out that the animatronic dog from the ride is the same character from the whichever recent Scooby Doo film/ series they watch at home.

Would kids recongise Dorothy, Scarecrow, etc?

More importantly, would kids care, or would they just be happy to see strange characters in bright, funny outfits?

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

So do you think Village sees this precinct as a means to tap into interest in the wider Oz franchise, even if the precinct itself is based solely on one film?

2 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Well grab hold of your ears so you can listen - 

Check

3 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

A 10 year old IP (actually most of the properties are older than that) is not bringing anyone new to the park. Retaining it, at some unknown but likely stupidly high expense, at a time where the park is in flux, and needs it's money for reinvestment in things that will actively draw more guests to the park, it's a no brainer to drop the licence.

Now turn your hearing aids up so you can hear me. /s

I don't care Dreamworks is gone.   I only care if what DW are replacing Dreamworks with is for the better.

I'm saying, Kenny & Belinda Dreamland is a backward step on what Dreamworks did for DW.   

DW went from Nickelodeon to Dreamworks with a complete re-theme.

DW go from Dreamworks to Kenny/Ocean with a repaint.  See the difference.  (yes, I am aware there is a couple of new cheap rides on the way)

Serpent Slayer is all the evidence I need.  but there is one more just to prove a point.

How much China building architecture do you see on a Gold Coast beach?   Apparently at DW, it's now the norm.

Case closed.

Firstly, this really belongs in the other thread. I've no doubt this will all get shifted at some point (sorry mods) But i'm here now.

Your car broke down. You take it to the mechanic, and he says 'yeah, she's pretty bad. To get you back on the road, you're going to need to rebuild your engine. Also, your paintjob is fucked and needs a respray. 

...but you can't afford both.... so what do you do?

Respray it, but have it sit parked on the side of the road because it can't run without an engine... or do you get the engine done, and paint it yourself?

I'd like them to have a nice IP to make their kids area cool and interesting for kids - but kids don't care about the character if they can get spun around at slow speeds and scream and laugh to their hearts content. But I don't want them spending money they can't afford to spend, in lieu of the big ticket items that will actually contribute to the park's recovery.

Now - and listen very carefully.... TWICE you've been asked what IP they should bring in (three if you count Baconjack's latest reply in the other thread) - what exactly do you suggest they should have themed their kids area to, if not their own internal characters?

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

TWICE you've been asked what IP they should bring in (three if you count Baconjack's latest reply in the other thread) - what exactly do you suggest they should have themed their kids area to, if not their own internal characters?

See other topic and you will be amazed.

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I think our parks know they are not Disney, and trying to emulate Disney with less resources is probably a bigger fail that just doing their own thing

It's probably easier to match Disney/Universal on food than attractions, and there always seems to be a market for "instagrammable" food, especially desserts. That said I'm not sure the market is there on the Gold Coast - based on what's most popular at Carnivale and DW's Night Market, park guests seem to much prefer more basic/traditional food offerings over anything else.

Honestly the world has moved on from stuffy sit-down buffet style restaurants. There's a reason Sizzler is gone, and why there's only about 4 Dine-in pizza huts in the country left. Rick's Cafe only opens in peak times to take the pressure off the counter service joints too.

Opening Billabong now would be like opening a brand new restaurant from scratch, and you'd be better off utilising that space for something else. Maybe a dark-ride expansion of Rivertown down the track after the initial land-hype wears off?

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Opening Billabong now would be like opening a brand new restaurant from scratch, and you'd be better off utilising that space for something else. Maybe a dark-ride expansion of Rivertown down the track after the initial land-hype wears off?

The last time I went to the Billabong Restaurant 90% of the customers were Asian tourist groups.  I would think the restaurant would reopen when the tourist groups come back.  I also believe the sheep show closed because the tourist groups stopped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New display name said:

The last time I went to the Billabong Restaurant 90% of the customers were Asian tourist groups.  I would think the restaurant would reopen when the tourist groups come back.  I also believe the sheep show closed because the tourist groups stopped.

It's chicken and egg though. Do the groups book when you can't offer them a fixed price meal inclusion, or do you hire and train the staff, develop the menu and stock the fridge, and then sit around and wait for the groups to book? You'd have to have solid intent from tour companies to warrant the expense, and you'd want ongoing regular bookings to sustain it to be worth the risk.

Billabong's last incarnation servicing tour groups had eventuated organically from a time when sit down restaurants were common, and patronised. You could just as easily substitute the fixed price restaurant package with a fixed price voucher to be redeemed at nominated food outlets within the park. Heck you could do pre-orders and have it bulk catered in advance.

No, billabong should be lift in peace.