"Super Hero Headquarters"

Jaggie

Alright, I'm really getting agrovated at all these people that are saying 'Wonderland sucks because they aren't getting any new rides!!!!' Grow up. The park's getting a new shop, and that really is cool. What people don't notice when the management swicthed over to Sunway, the park has turned into a great, clean park. Not necassarily for the thrill seeker, but for families to enjoy the day. Next time you go to Wonderland, spend some time to appreciate how clean the park is and how enthusiastic the staff are, not just complaining the whole day that the park is 'boring'. That's my say, ~Flea

I'm afraid I have to agree with most of the people saying bad things. Wonderland opened as quite a good park and since then it has just gone bad. You cant just clean up some mess and call yourself a world class park. Sure it might be a 'nice family day out' but that doesn't justify charging prices the same or even more than the Gold Coast Parks. Wonderland just doesn't (and never has) measured up as far as providing decent park that all works in. The entertainment has always let it down and been pretty cheap and nasty and the park (apart from HBB land) has always consisted of some rides placed here and there with vast expanses in between. They added a couple of CRAP second hand rides in Skyhawk and Flinstones and then removed them. When every one else was adding rides wonderland was pulling them out. Once they started taking stuff out of HBB that was it, I remember going in one day when all that was up there were a couple rides with large empty slabs around and stuff. The closing of the area due to size was BS. And in order to move the rides to other areas they took existing attractions out so you didn't gain anything. Really dissapointing and they better do something pretty good before I will bother to go back.

The park did lose ground once HBB land was closed off, but did regain that ground. 79% of the park's guest said the park was too big, well I can tell you this, the 79% of the population are fat lazy bums! Either this stupidity was true, or that Wonderland wanted to add a major new ride there in the coming years. But am I the only one who thought that Beastie was the best coaster in the park? ~Flea

I won't deny that Sunway has made some good additions to the park. The park definately is cleaner. And the theming improvements have created a better atmosphere than the park ever had during the early 90s. After the park closed HB Land, they have made some tremendous efforts to regain the family sector of the market. Relocating rides, new shows, new promotions, offering discount admissions and introducing characters have all seemed to work well in achieving this. Having said that, the time has now come for the park to refocus its attention to the thrill-seeker market. There is no denying that the park needs SOMETHING new very soon. While the two improvements that the park has worked on have been effective IMO, the only thing lacking from making Wonderland a great park that I would visit regularly again, are one or two new thrill rides.

Guest boycotta

think about it you may have went to wonderland millions of times, but if you were to jut have visited wonderland you would love the park. where else in australia do they have a ride which does six loops dropping 30 metres and dropping another 30 metres doing 3 loops backwards at 90k/hr. wonderland has it. where alse in australia would you find a kickass wooden roller coaster. well where in australia would you even find a wooden roller coaster. wonderland. where alse in australia would you find the best river rampage which includes made rapids and also water guysers. wonderland. not to mention there thrill rides like the space probe, pirate ship, tasi devil. and all there shows that you would not find anywhere else both for adults and kids. millenium magic, action man, in summer H2Overload, blinky bill and maybe soon spiderman. they have more food outlets than any other theme park in australia which has a variety of food from many cultures like nachos aussie food, chips, burgers, chiken pieces, nuggets ect. and they have a mad water section for summer. now is wonderland really crap. think about it. the park can be heaps better but take a look at it now. its still good. they even have the best wildlife park. you can pat a kangaroo, snake, koala see australian animals, tasmanian tiger, saltwater crocodile, snakes, koalas, kangaroos, wombats ect. wonderland is still one of the best!

You said it boycotta! However..

dropping another 30 metres doing 3 loops backwards at 90k/hr
I thought it was 75km/h? Then again, it does look like the train is going much faster when going backwards.
where alse in australia would you find a kickass wooden roller coaster
Yeah, it sure does 'kickass'! ;) However, Beastie was way better :( It had great air when cresting the second hill.
in summer H2Overload
I hope it comes back for this summer! It was so cool, the fact that they were driving very powerful vehicles in such a small area was great. ~Flea

Well its no so much the fact that Wonderland 'CAN' be better its the fact that is 'HAS' been better. I wouldn't be so bitter on the park if this is all it ever had... (first time I went to WBMW when it first opened I didn't think "oh what a crap place it need this this and this") But Wonderland DID used to have all this stuff and was a much better park and now it has gone backwards. All that stuff about 75% saying it was too big is a load of crap. Not only could you jump on the chairlift to the other end of the park but one end apealed to one end of the market and the other end to a different part anyway. Your not exactly gonna be dragging your 3 year old from HBB down to ride the Bush Beast are you?? And as far as the rapids are concerned Wonderland doesn't even compare to Dreamworld because of one word...THEMING. Most of Wonderland's ride is just a concrete flume surrounded by grass with a nice scenic lookout over the plant equipment and pumps at the end. Where as Dreamworld is niceley themed throughout the ride. Anyone who wants to see a real rapids ride check out the one at DCA, that thing is amazing!

I'd have to say that for ride quality alone, Wonderland's River Rapids is better than Dreamworlds. I wouldn't call Dreamworld's "well themed" - it's too tacky and aged and full of junk to be called good. But Wonderland's is a much better, longer ride. The whole 79% thing. Well, Wonderland was a big park. It did take forever to get from one end to the other. My family's first visit to Wonderland - with three kids (aged about 11, 6, 2). We, just like probably 50% of the families that visit, covered the entire spectrum. I think this is exactly why they closed Hanna-Babera Land. While child A rides Bush Beast, child B and C can't do anything. When B and C do Hanna-Babera Land, A's not having a good time. All the while, Mum and Dad have to walk back and forth from rides carrying all the days necessities and souvenirs. By moving the childrens rides amongst the other attractions, it means you can hit two birds with one stone, so to speak. They need to refocus their attention to the thrill market? What exactly is the Australian thrill market, is it the 60-odd members we've got here? The fact is, your average teen can visit Wonderland, their local park, for a day out with their friends, once every few years, and are more than happy with the lineup. Let's look at facts: Wonderland's Attendance is very strong. Unlike other Australian parks, they don't necessarily have to rely on the tourist dollars, and can succeed well in times like these. Just under half of the guests attending Wonderland are from Sydney, and about a quarter from regional NSW. Wonderland's prices are significantly cheaper than Gold Coast parks. Wonderland has been succeeding without adding a new thrill ride in several years. Yes, they know that some people do desire new rides. They certainly know that a new significant ride, would result in much better attendance in the short run. Some food for thought I guess. By the way, I'd have to say that Wonderland has the worst value and worst quality food of Australian parks. And yes, I do agree that Beastie was by far better than Bush Beast. It certainly offered more than Demon does.

I hope it comes back for this summer! It was so cool, the fact that they were driving very powerful vehicles in such a small area was great. ~Flea
That show was the work of Michael Croaker, who was responsible for Seaworld's Quest for the Golden Seal, part of the design of Dolphin Cove, and wrote the Ski Show which was before Ski Challange. He also wrote most of the holiday shows, and most notably also won an episode of "Man O Man". As for the rapids ride, IMO Snowy River is heaps better then DW's Thunder River. Richard got it pretty much spot on when comparing the two rides. BTW, I'm with you Rabid, as we all know, Demon was recently voted best Roller Coaster in the World by ACE :rolleyes::D

My personal favourite rapids ride is dreamworlds thunder river. I also have the opinion that wonderlands rapids just looks like a big concrete drain cut into the ground (in fact most of wonderlands rides look like they have been just plonked their with hardly any theming, like a mobile fun fair). I know this has been improved a LITTLE bit in recent years. I feel that dreamworlds rapids IS a better themed attraction (even though its basic compared to some in the states) as it has a very cool cave and lots of lush jungle style vegetation. I still think it's so sad that wonderland does well even without adding a new attraction... although I can sort of understand the reasons why. Wonderland truly is becoming a 'cultural entertainment centre' rather than a theme park. This is a win-win situation for the owners as they can continue to draw crowds through absolute minimal expenditure. What does it mean for us? Not a lot... well.. unless you're like some of the others in this forum and get excited about retail outlets, old very outdated rides and hot nuggets!

The fact is, your average teen can visit Wonderland, their local park, for a day out with their friends, once every few years, and are more than happy with the lineup
I'd have to disagree, although I might be a bit more passionate on the subject all of my friends (regardless of age) and even my parents, (who are by no means hard core thrill seekers) agree that wonderland has lost the plot. They wouldn't go there because they are bored with it. Even your average Joe can see that nothing has happend in years and if you didn't know better when visiting the park you'd think they had just closed a 1/3 of it. But I hey I do know better and still think that LOL

Guest boycotta

hey think again wonderland is not the only theme park in australia who hasnt built any new rides, and lets face it do you really think wonderland will not build any new rides or theme areas. the park just introduced the marvel characters nto the park replacing hanna babera characters such as fred flinston and ogi bear. there a re the same ruomers everywhere that wonderland will ANNOUNCE not build announce there new attraction or plan by christmas this year which would relate to what teh office said to me which the park will bot open their upcoming attractions until late 2004-2005. luna park sydney has never added any more rides but got rid of one of the best roller coasters in australia (the big dipper). luna park melbourne never added big rides only renovated like luna park sydney is doing right now and sea world just got ride of the thrillseeker a couple of years ago and opened cartoon beach which sux big time years ago and hasnt added any new attractions. wet n wild is the same which has opened mammoth falls 2 or 3 years ago and only opened such attrctions as spas. big deal. apart from wonderland whch hasnt added any new rides since the space probe in 1995 8 years ago, yhe park added the bush beast, beastie and tons of other rides, tasmanian devil, HMS Endeavour, kiddie slides, water slides , the beach, river rampage, sky hawk, dodgems, paddle boats, merry go round, flinstone splash down, dragons flight ect which was all added in the park all at once in a matter of 1 - 2 years. dreamworld slowly developed as well as seaworld, wet n wild and movie world.

apart from wonderland whch hasnt added any new rides since the space probe in 1995 8 years ago, yhe park added the bush beast, beastie and tons of other rides, tasmanian devil, HMS Endeavour, kiddie slides, water slides , the beach, river rampage, sky hawk, dodgems, paddle boats, merry go round, flinstone splash down, dragons flight ect which was all added in the park all at once in a matter of 1 - 2 years.
Well I suppose if you could have called their cable car addition a "ride", then they added that after Space Probe. There was more than a 1-2 year space between a lot of the attractions you listed. With regard to the additions of Wet 'N' Wild, Seaworld etc. These parks each have a very individual focus. Seaworld has obviously been focusing on animal attractions in recent years, with the exception of Cartoon Network Cartoon Beach (eg: Polar Bear Shores, Dolphin Cove etc). Wet 'N' Wild has added a number of slides in recent years - because that's what the focus of that park is. And the spas are only a part of a larger attraction due to open later this year (if I'm not mistaken). Even so, I don't think anyone could say that Wonderland's additions pale in comparison to additions made by the other major players in Australia's theme park industry over the past 8 years. (With the possible exception of Luna Park Melbourne).

With regard to the additions of Wet 'N' Wild, Seaworld etc. These parks each have a very individual focus. Seaworld has obviously been focusing on animal attractions in recent years, with the exception of Cartoon Network Cartoon Beach (eg: Polar Bear Shores, Dolphin Cove etc). Wet 'N' Wild has added a number of slides in recent years - because that's what the focus of that park is. And the spas are only a part of a larger attraction due to open later this year (if I'm not mistaken).
Quite true Psyco. Since Space Probe opened in 1997, SW has added Cartoon Beach, Dolphin Cove, Pirates 3D, Reef Discovery, new Ski Show and of course, Polar Bear Shores. WNW has in that time added Super 8 Aqua Racers, both Terror Canyons, Speed Coaster Mammoth and the Whirlpool Springs. Both of those parks have gone quite well attendance wise (both parks have just come off record attendance years) without adding much in the way of thrill rides. They've still added plenty of new attractions, just not any new thrill rides (with the exception of Terror Canyon), and Dreamworld is doing better after adding Nick Central then it was after it added Cyclone. Don't know what point I'm trying to make, just felt like commenting :D

• 2 months later...