Boxing Day 2023 Parks CLOSED

kujotess

WWF is also closed for what i assume will be filtering out the water and / or dealing with fallen trees within the rides envelope. not sure if this is to do with the storms or not (most likely not) but Green Lantern is also closed with a train parked at the bottom of the lift hill with red tape around that section of the ride.

10 hours ago, themagician said:

@Brad2912 how were the crowds/wait times for WWW, considering it was only announced a couple hours before it opened?

Slower than they should have been as operations were just at a crawl (worth noting this is my first Aussie park visit since Japan where loading/ops is amazing). 

It was busy but not crazy, but still took near an hour for Green Room (from the 30min sign) and about 30mins for Rip. No wait on Bro. 

watching Hydrocoaster, it seems now the op is tasked with visually watching the tube through until the enclosed turns at the end. Which is painful. It means that weighing and loading of the next tube doesn’t occur until the flag wave to say the previous tube is empty. Makes zero sense. With the 2 panels needed to release, there is no reason why the next tubes riders cannot be weighed and loaded and moved to the second release block, before then looking for the flag (surely in this day and age a light would suffice). 

basically means it’s 3-4min between tube launches 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 1

It’s been a few years since I visited WWW to ride any of the attractions, but that definitely sounds painfully slow. It definitely never used to be like that.

Were they short staffed because they got confirmation that morning that they could reopen? Or is that just how that park operates now?

5 hours ago, themagician said:

It’s been a few years since I visited WWW to ride any of the attractions, but that definitely sounds painfully slow. It definitely never used to be like that.

Were they short staffed because they got confirmation that morning that they could reopen? Or is that just how that park operates now?

Haven’t seen more than 1 op/loader on the tower for Hydro in many years, but I’ve never seen the visual inspection of the tube on course before. So it’s not a result of low staff yesterday, but minimised staffing overall or just poor operational procedures 

• Like 1

That’s a shame to here because management seem to be really pushing operations and making DW the best possible park, while WWW might be getting forgotten (that’s being a bit extreme because they spent a lot of time and money repainting all their slides, etc). However, when the park used to have very good operations and queues were generally very quick, it’s disappointing to hear.

Dreamworld and WWW have recently introduced a new training system across both parks, which has definitely slowed things down (especially at WWW). Staff are expected to do twice as much as they were say last year. 

Regarding Hydrocoaster it has been running that way for many years now. One of the few reasons they have to confirm guests have reached splashdown before moving onto the next group is because the panel/ride can fault (quite often) which can cause the tube to not reach the top of the hill (eg. magnets/jets fault) and roll back. Those tubes are extremely heavy, you need about 3 people to carry them, so you would not want 2 of them to collide at any point. 

“Why can’t they load guests while the tube is in the slide?”

Because guests don’t know how to sit correctly, especially international guests. So not only does the tube need direct attention but so do guests. In front of the tube while it is in the station (ready for guests to enter) are large rollers, behind the tube is the conveyer belt. Imagine if the ride faults while guests are all sitting in the wrong positions, getting in and out of the tube and the panel alarm is going off because the other group have come to a stop in the final tunnel, which you missed visually  because you were busy assisting guests sitting down.

This is all visible to guests so I’m surprised this is so surprising to you and others. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kujotess said:

One of the few reasons they have to confirm guests have reached splashdown before moving onto the next group is because the panel/ride can fault (quite often) which can cause the tube to not reach the top of the hill (eg. magnets/jets fault) and roll back.

No one is talking about releasing a 2nd tube before confirming the 1st has complete the course. Loading a tube but not releasing it prior to the previous one finishing causes zero risk of collision. 

2 hours ago, kujotess said:

Because guests don’t know how to sit correctly, especially international guests. So not only does the tube need direct attention but so do guests. In front of the tube while it is in the station (ready for guests to enter) are large rollers, behind the tube is the conveyer belt. Imagine if the ride faults while guests are all sitting in the wrong positions, getting in and out of the tube and the panel alarm is going off because the other group have come to a stop in the final tunnel, which you missed visually  because you were busy assisting guests sitting down.

None of that makes any logical sense whatsoever. 

in 100s of visits, never until yesterday has the loading OP physically moved around the loading platform to ensure they can view the tube in motion from start to finish of the ride.

if the ride faults, that only affects the riders in the tube currently on-course, it has zero bearing or impact on guests either loading or loaded and awaiting release. 

the ride op is not going to release the next tube until they get the visual confirmation (flag) from the splashdown pool that the previous tube is clear - so therefore anything that happens on course, or anything that happens during loading with difficult passengers are entirely exclusive of each other and pose zero risk of compounding.

The fact a modern theme park relies on someone to wave a flag from 30m away to signal it’s safe to release a tube rather than a electronic or sensor based system is bizarre imo.. all the unloader needs is a button which activates a light in the loading platform - which is exactly how Constrictor and other slides work. 

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

No one is talking about releasing a 2nd tube before confirming the 1st has complete the course. Loading a tube but not releasing it prior to the previous one finishing causes zero risk of collision. 

None of that makes any logical sense whatsoever. 

in 100s of visits, never until yesterday has the loading OP physically moved around the loading platform to ensure they can view the tube in motion from start to finish of the ride.

if the ride faults, that only affects the riders in the tube currently on-course, it has zero bearing or impact on guests either loading or loaded and awaiting release. 

the ride op is not going to release the next tube until they get the visual confirmation (flag) from the splashdown pool that the previous tube is clear - so therefore anything that happens on course, or anything that happens during loading with difficult passengers are entirely exclusive of each other and pose zero risk of compounding.

The fact a modern theme park relies on someone to wave a flag from 30m away to signal it’s safe to release a tube rather than a electronic or sensor based system is bizarre imo.. all the unloader needs is a button which activates a light in the loading platform - which is exactly how Constrictor and other slides work. 

No logical sense? Really? I’m not going to converse with someone who only wants to mansplain everything while not knowing how the operating procedures actually work. I mean I just explained to you why it is not ideal to load guests while the tube is running its course and you’ve completely disregarded that. The operator is not moving around the platform because they are watching the panel which tells you exactly what zone the tube is currently in the slide via sensors. I’m not saying it’s the best operating procedure but it’s really the only safe way to do it without having to completely rebuild the slide. 

59 minutes ago, kujotess said:

. I mean I just explained to you why it is not ideal to load guests while the tube is running its course and you’ve completely disregarded that.

I disregarded it because what you explained makes no logical sense. 

1 hour ago, kujotess said:

The operator is not moving around the platform because they are watching the panel

The operator WAS moving around the platform visually watching the tube (as I said in my original post) and was NOT watching the panel at all. 

1 hour ago, kujotess said:

I’m not going to converse with someone who only wants to mansplain everything while not knowing how the operating procedures actually work.

Don’t be a self righteous wanker. 

• Like 2

Begs the question of how damaged it’s got (especially with it being nestled amongst many large trees), and if it passes their threshold of just not reopening it. ‘Cause I don’t believe they’ve mentioned Vintage Cars being closed due to the storm in any announcements, yet. The website does say it’s ‘under maintenance’ til the 9th, but I’m unaware if that’s a pre-storm repair schedule, or a post-storm cleanup one.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

If that’s true then what is the point of making the effort to re open it then if it’s all going to get demo’d in a few months?

Reckon we might see vintage cars closed until Rivertown opens

Surely if they are true to attempting rebrand to nostalgia they will allow a last hurrah with these cars !

Will never see them again in operation .

just have to remove the damaged roof . 

Edited by dbo121

19 hours ago, aussienetman said:

Have it under very good authority that the building that was once vintage cars queue line and unload/load station had quite a big tree  go through it.

Can confirm

16 hours ago, Baconjack said:

If that’s true then what is the point of making the effort to re open it then if it’s all going to get demo’d in a few months?

Reckon we might see vintage cars closed until Rivertown opens

15 hours ago, dbo121 said:

Surely if they are true to attempting rebrand to nostalgia they will allow a last hurrah with these cars !

Will never see them again in operation .

just have to remove the damaged roof . 

A car may have been crushed by said roof/tree too… But yes if that’s the only damage I hope to see it reopen (with one less Model T Ford)

• Like 1