Mick Doohan Motocoaster construction discussion

AugustVonPolen

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

could it be that because everything on the ride is new that everything still has to be run in. Speaking from knowledge with hydraulic brakes I know that when cars are manufactured breaking hard is not recomended due to the brake line to rupture, reason they would rupture is because the viscosity can still be a little to high. Also when using new pumps or motors it is never recommended to use them to the full ability until a certain amount of hours have been done, even when they have been run in. I dunno. As someone mentioned earlier, I don't think intamin would manufacture a ride that hardly made it was way through the course. Im not completely disappointed at what I have seen yet, but if it does not improve, I will be. Thanks for the vid coaster boy :)

After reading some more into this, I am hoping that in some respects they were merely testing to see that the train will complete the course at a lower launch speed, ie, if it only just crawls over the first hill. After all, watching that test it seemed that the train only just made it over the first hill. I'm not great at judging speed, etc, but I don't think it looked like 70km/h. I guess the only thing we can do is, is wait and see when it opens.

Yeah, i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and sit tight and see what happens. If the launch is faster then so too will be the rest of the ride - hitting the highest point at a faster speed will pace up the trip. In saying that, it's designed to be a family ride afterall. It looks kind of fun but I won't go out of my way to ride it in a hurry

Very few coasters out there, launched or not, don't follow this basic rule. It makes absolutely no sense from a general operational point of view to make a ride that can get easily stuck along the track if its launch isn't at the required speed.
Two words - Vekoma Boomerang

I think maybe whatever's causing that squeaking noise could be the reason it appears to lose so much speed by the end. It must be creating excess friction that slows the train down faster than they intended because i'm sure Intamin wouldn't have planed to make it go that slow over the final section.

Edited by Mousenator

Gazza that is a classic! Well said. Where on earth did you get that pic from? I'd love to know more about this 'snail coaster'... Looks far more interesting than DW's very average Motocoaster ;)
I went on that snail coaster last year... it's at one of the seaside piers in the UK. A somewhat screwed up ride is probably the most forum-friendly way to describe it :P

I think some of you have forgotten that this ride will have sidecars in it so that younger kids can ride with their parents. For this simple reason, it was never going to be a super fast ride. I think the point of putting it next to Wiggles World was, so that there is something else families can enjoy with their kids in that area. A great idea, and I am sure it will be extremely popular with the families!

I don't really think it is in reply to superman escape because superman escape has a focus really only on thrill ride class where as motocoaster is has a more broad family attraction so a high percentage of guests will be willing to ride the ride kind of like wild west falls and scooby, where as superman escape due to it's high thrill rating and high visibilty gets more tween teen riders but not alot of other age groups on a whole meaning a relatively low attendance on the ride.

But this line in the press release almost seems to be in response to Superman's presence:

In September 2007, Dreamworld will launch the hottest thrill ride to hit the coast this decade pushing adrenaline junkies to a brand new level.
Its seems as if the park has convinced itself that this is a suitable response.
where as superman escape due to it's high thrill rating and high visibilty gets more tween teen riders but not alot of other age groups on a whole meaning a relatively low attendance on the ride.
I'd be interested in seeing rider counts backing up this claim, over to you Superman7774. Edited by Gazza

I don't really think it is in reply to superman escape because superman escape has a focus really only on thrill ride class where as motocoaster is has a more broad family attraction so a high percentage of guests will be willing to ride the ride kind of like wild west falls and scooby, where as superman escape due to it's high thrill rating and high visibilty gets more tween teen riders but not alot of other age groups on a whole meaning a relatively low attendance on the ride.
every time I have ever been in the SE queue line, the queued riders have been from the minimum height pre-teens right up to 50 and 60 year olds. I'm sorry but I cant swallow the "not alot of other age groups" theory.
4600 WWF, 4900 Scooby , 2500 SE, approx for a couple of days ago
firstly, I sincerely doubt that saberon, unless you work within their operations division. secondly, you're comparing apples with oranges. Superman escape - two train coaster Motocoaster - two train coaster WWF - multiple single cars Scooby - multiple single cars. in the time that it takes to load, despatch, unload, stage, and then load again for superman, you've probably despatched more than that on either WWF or Scooby, so the figures for those rides are bound to be higher as it is a continuous cycle, rather than cycle, wait, cycle, wait. On the SE track at any one time there is about 20 people. on the WWF track at any one time there can be more than double that.

Alex, to be frank, your wrong and my data is accurate. You don't know who I am or who I know or what I know. I was simply answering a question Gazza asked. Also it was pretty blatantly described that i was going to be a family thrill ride. Superman escape is not a family thrill ride. It is a thrill ride.

Edited by saberon

AlexB has a point, Whenever I have been at parks there never seems to be any rhyme or reason to the sorts of people going on rides, Once you get beyond the stuff aimed squarely at children it just seems like open slather as to who goes on what and comes down to what people are comfortable with. I always find it a bit funny how enthusiasts see themselves as good observers of different demographics, and put everyone into boxes (Eg teenagers only ride thrill rides, only people under the age of 10 would go on road runner etc etc) Thanks for the figures by the way, though I cant help but feel they seem a bit pulled out of the air.

I always find it a bit funny how enthusiasts see themselves as good observers of different demographics, and put everyone into boxes (Eg teenagers only ride thrill rides, only people under the age of 10 would go on road runner etc etc)
Yer, I see that a lot too they think they know it all :lol: