The Off Topic Topic

So we were heading down to Helensvale Shopping Centre on Thursday and the wife decided we should call in to MW so she could go on a ride or two since she hasn't been able to for the last 9 months. Of course the park was busy and Green Lantern was down (again or still) so she ended up not going on anything, until we wandered through to the WB Kids Zone and she decided it would be nice to take bub on his first ride in the Carousel. 9 days old and already hitting the rides. :huh: Then headed to the Ice Age 4D and must say I LOVE the fact they have returned Roxy to the 50's / 60's feel of an old theatre. Even the girl working the attraction had her hair done in an era relevant style. It is small attention to detail like this that impresses me about MW. Movie itself was well done, would have been nice to have been able to sit in a motion chair but as the little man was sleeping in my arms was not an option. Small side note: Checked the website to see if there was anything bub could go on. States WB Kids Zone has no age restriction... But the taxis, sylvester bounce and tweety cages all have restrictions posted (which is fair enough). Obviously at 9 days old it makes no difference to us now but for someone with a 4 year old thinking they can get on anything in that area only to read otherwise at each attraction is something that may cause an issue at some stage. Also Journey to the Centre of the Earth is still listed on the restrictions page. Hopefully this is corrected soon.

Out of interest, what age restrictions in WB Kids did you find? I've only seen the height restriction on Road Runner, and being a coaster, that's kind of obvious that there'd be one. My 3 year old hasn't been questioned about going on anything (including RR). I found the restrictions far more obvious in the Sea World kids area.

• 2 weeks later...

From the weird news desk comes this http://www.thelocal.se/42146/20120720/

A 31-year-old father of two is in hospital struggling against blood poisoning after a freak accident at a Swedish theme park on Sunday where a tow hitch on a children’s ride penetrated his rectum. Don't think I have heard of an injury like this at a theme park before. Would be interesting explaining to people why you are in hospital too.

It seems yet another cable has snapped on an Intamin launched coaster. This time it is Rita at Alton Towers. 563945_460426147308963_1063896563_n.jpg Image source https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=460426147308963&set=a.312444712107108.82146.312433085441604&type=1 Unlike TTDs failure there looks to be no injuries involved with this one although where the cable is hanging down is rather interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had an interesting few things occur at MW yesterday. Little Mr's pram broke walking from the carpark so we had to carry him in and head to Guest Services to hire one. We were informed by the Guest Services manager on duty that he has to be 6 months old, be able to hold his head up and sit up for us to be able to use a stroller for him and as such were subsequently told that they would not hire one to us... Yes he is only 3 months old, but he holds his own head up and sits up on his own. Annoyed we went to the dirty harry bar for nachos where Mr sat up in a high chair while we ate. We then headed to WB Kids area where we had no problems getting him on his usual 3 rides including the tweety cages where the requirement is that he has to sit on the seat and hold his head up... So MW policy states he can go on these rides but not use a stroller? Tad bizarre.

Obviously I have a differing opinion to you, but there is no way in hell IMO a 3 month old should be going on any ride regardless of how tame it is. Is that even legal?? Children under 6 months should also not be in strollers - this is almost internationally recognised as a safety issue. MW is entirely correct in enforcing this to ensure they are not liable in the instance of an injury. The muscles in a babys neck do not Develop to the point of being adequately supportive within 3 mths of birth. Why you would want to risk that is beyond me....

Obviously I have a differing opinion to you, but there is no way in hell IMO a 3 month old should be going on any ride regardless of how tame it is. Is that even legal??

MW guest services informed us at 9 days old he was able to go on the carousel and the yosemite railway as he can be held, that is their policy not mine. Tweety cages, children must sit in the seat and be able to support their head and they are fine to ride. Again, MW policy not mine.

The muscles in a babys neck do not Develop to the point of being adequately supportive within 3 mths of birth. Why you would want to risk that is beyond me....

Brad, he has been holding his head up with no head wobble since 2 months old. Age is not a definative indicator of milestones.

Mate no dramas- I'm not telling you what you can/should do. As I stated, just differing opinions Understand obviously the carousel & railway as the baby is being held. Also understand that milestones do not correlate with months/years in all babies. IMO I just wouldn't trust a 3mth old even if they could support their own Neck/head on any ride with movement at that age. I do see your point though regarding letting the baby on a ride but then not letting them in a hired stroller.

Brad, I saw the IMO, just pointing out their policies. All good. Even I was a little shocked when they told us that he could go on the tweety cages, we were just asking so we knew when we could take him on it. Also forgot to mention in my original post on this tangent... As we were leaving an RACQ tilt truck drove in with a policia car on the back. Obviously they must send these offsite for some work, this one happened to be sporting a rather large dent just in front of the rear driver side wheel.

And in other news this has happened http://clients.weblink.com.au/news/pdf/01332832.pdf Let the speculation commence!

Interesting! Guess we'll see an announcement in the next couple of days - likely to be nothing to do with DW I think Edit - just looked into it - it's an acquisition of Heath clubs. Nothing to do with theme park division Edited by Brad2912

Brad, I saw the IMO, just pointing out their policies. All good. Even I was a little shocked when they told us that he could go on the tweety cages, we were just asking so we knew when we could take him on it. Also forgot to mention in my original post on this tangent... As we were leaving an RACQ tilt truck drove in with a policia car on the back. Obviously they must send these offsite for some work, this one happened to be sporting a rather large dent just in front of the rear driver side wheel.

I have heard when these get into crashes, which I believe happens frequently (well at least in the early days don't know about today), it needed to be taken by truck up to a Mitsubishi factory sort of thing up in around Springwood? To have the work done to it to fix it up and then driven back down by truck again to MW to return to the show. One of reasons the show has such a high cost involved.

And in other news this has happened http://clients.webli...df/01332832.pdf Let the speculation commence!

Link didn't work for me. Edited by Original

GL, SE, SDSC all down with issues this morning. Just our luck that we are having a day without the little man to spend time on these rides together. Arkham was walk on as everyone seems to want to still queue for the non operating rides and were able to get 3 cycles in a row re riding as no one else was coming through the queue.

• rappa locked this topic