The Off Topic Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I rode Arkham Asylum recently, and while in the line I noticed that the lift hill only has one set of stairs on the left. This made me wonder: How would people be evacuated, if there was a power failure or engine blow out? By crane? And how would harnesses be unlocked?

I rode Arkham Asylum recently, and while in the line I noticed that the lift hill only has one set of stairs on the left. This made me wonder: How would people be evacuated, if there was a power failure or engine blow out? By crane? And how would harnesses be unlocked?

If the car got stuck on the lift-hill I thought there was a "second row" that can be activated that is tucked under the stairs of the lift hill, in the event of an emergency this row slides or folds out and creates a "walkway" under the coaster car for evacuation.

Edited by rac2703

In the event of a ride fault with Arkham Asylum the operator will literally do anything within their power to prevent the ride from stopping on the lift even if the ride has to be manually over-ridden by maintenance (provided it's safe obviously). As far as i'm aware the ride has only had two evacuations on the lift hill... one in 2005 a few months before Superman opened when the lift motor crapped itself and at the end of 2012 just before White Christmas. In the event of an evacuation there is a little platform down at the bottom of the lift near the station with a tarp over it. There is a metal grate that folds down over it to create a platform that you can stand on. The platform is winched up the lift under each car and riders are evacuated one at a time onto the platform and then they need to jump over the railing and down the stairs. If i'm not mistaken I actually think the fire brigade are called in to assist in the evacuation hence why they will do anything they can to avoid it. Personally I don't know why Vekoma would make such a complex system for an evacuation whereas if they had a platform the whole way under the lift hill and stairs like B+M do it would be much easier and safer IMO for an evacuation.

On the topic of evacuations I noticed the Storm coaster now has a sign stating something along the lines of "under certain circumstances you may be required to exit the ride at a point other than the station" and that you should feel as though you're capable of walking down stairs from a height of approximately 30m", the ride must have gotten stuck on the final hill a lot to have to warrant such a sign.

Personally I don't know why Vekoma would make such a complex system for an evacuation whereas if they had a platform the whole way under the lift hill and stairs like B+M do it would be much easier and safer IMO for an evacuation.

To be honest, I prefer the open-air lift-hill from Vekoma. It gives the suspended sensation more time to hit home - you don't really have as much time to notice it while you're flying around the track... but the anticipation up the hill is awesome.

A platform the whole way down would probably cost a fortune in material. A winchable platform is far better value for money, if the ride (as you say) has only ever needed it twice in it's lifetime...

Personally I don't know why Vekoma would make such a complex system for

I'd have to agree. I could imagine it could be very scary for riders. Though I also have to agree that not having it there, enhances ride experience. Guess it's bittersweet.

I'd have to agree. I could imagine it could be very scary for riders. Though I also have to agree that not having it there, enhances ride experience. Guess it's bittersweet.

I can tell you first hand it's pretty damn terrifying... I was on it in 05 when the lift motor crapped itself... front seat too. Not something I want to experience again haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Airbrushed hats... really??? DW take 2???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mkqux05624iv8i/IMG_1146.JPG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a72b4gl6bkgcoqg/IMG_1143.JPG

These are two photos I took yesterday while at the park. It isn't intrusive, it would be nice if they did stylised versions of the licensed characters from the park, but given that they are artist's renditions, it would be hard to carry the licensing tag. I did find it a little cheap and nasty, but to be honest, the park needs more 'unique can't get anywhere' experiences and less generic 'we sell the same stuff in 7 different locations' type stuff... it also wasn't open yesterday, so my guess is - contractors, only work when it's busy, responsible for their own P&L and have to give MW a cut of sales. It's poor form to have this kind of activityitem available, and then not open it.

On that note - the 'dance-heads' shop has closed - and no sign of it remains:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpekecsk4vc0qrk/IMG_1158.JPG

I've a feeling a parkz update is coming soon because there have been a few changes in the park, so I won't spoil the rest of it, because I love the captions...

No you're not missing it - they haven't actually stated it. Someone asked the question on their facebook page but they haven't (as yet) responded.

The Sydney CNY2014 festival runs from 24 Jan to 9 Feb. I'd suggest we'll see something similar for movie world - basically a week(ish) each side of C-New years day... so probably until this weekend.

This got flung around recently, thought i'd share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fyHnZBrUWE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My thoughts, the first half of the video was awesome, I mean, who doesn't want to ride Tornado as a single rider? But the last bit, who does dumb stuff like that in front of guests? I think it goes from cheeky mischief which is cool, to just dumb.

Edited by Slick

• rappa locked this topic