The Off Topic Topic

Won't happen, unfortunately. Not until the government gets serious.

They've put a 20,000 sqm limitation on them until the local highway interchange is upgraded, which the government is not willing to fix until 2022 - even though it needs it now. Westfield won't consider building unless the 100,000 sqm as planned can go ahead

Won't happen, unfortunately. Not until the government gets serious.

They've put a 20,000 sqm limitation on them until the local highway interchange is upgraded, which the government is not willing to fix until 2022 - even though it needs it now. Westfield won't consider building unless the 100,000 sqm as planned can go ahead

Work has begun on upgrading the overpass at this exit on the motorway. I have some friends who's parents are in the business. I don't know how long it will take or what it will look like but it is happening now. Also I went pass the site for the shopping centre and they are already putting concrete barriers on the edge of the site.

It's not the first time a major developer has paid to upgrade the infrastructure in order to get approval.

If Westfield wanted to sit around until 2022, the govt. would probably do it, but the 8 year wait would lose more money for westfield than they would lose by paying for it - it's government's way of getting private industry to put a little back in...

The works will be completed to upgrade the interchange, the DA will be expanded to the full size of the plan, and everybody will win.

Work has begun on upgrading the overpass at this exit on the motorway. I have some friends who's parents are in the business. I don't know how long it will take or what it will look like but it is happening now. Also I went pass the site for the shopping centre and they are already putting concrete barriers on the edge of the site.

The current works on the Coomera Exit 54 Overpass are scheduled maintenance work, re-surfacing etc. It is not the work required to ease congestion and expand lanes. The concrete barriers you saw on Foxwell Rd were also not part of the Shopping Centre project, but the new waste waterpipe line that is running through the area. That is now complete and the concrete barriers are now gone.

It's not the first time a major developer has paid to upgrade the infrastructure in order to get approval.

If Westfield wanted to sit around until 2022, the govt. would probably do it, but the 8 year wait would lose more money for westfield than they would lose by paying for it - it's government's way of getting private industry to put a little back in...

The works will be completed to upgrade the interchange, the DA will be expanded to the full size of the plan, and everybody will win.

Without a doubt, but they are already charging Westfields an exorbinant development cost per sqm on the actual site. Westfield has offered to partially fund the upgrade, the governments wants it wholly paid for.

Considering the thousands of jobs created by the development and then operation, the government should be more willing to compromise. I'm sure they'll bash it out through the courts or tribunals, and evenutally come to some sort of agreement. The fact though is that regardless of if the shopping centre is built, the interchange needs expanding anyway with the population growth in the past 8 years and what is to come. The Town Centre has been in planning for 20 years, and there was initially hope that it may finally get off the ground for a 2018 opening to time with the GC Commonwealth Games, which now looks very unlikely.

Why should the government pay for an upgrade to an interchange to benefit a commercial operation?

Sure the population in the area has deemed it necessary, but projected it for 2022. if Westfield will wait that long (they won't) it will be built.

Govt. wants it wholly funded - and why shouldn't they - big business will profit from the approval of the DA. If Westfield is already stumping up a portion (probably at least 50%) then there is money to be made... so skimming a little more off their profit margin, to benefit Ma & Pa Taxpayer having to foot the bill.... why shouldn't Westfield have to pay for the whole thing?

The estimates from the state government that it is needed in 2022 is a joke. Local council are arguing that too. It was needed 2 years ago. Coomera was the largest growth area in Qld for most of the last decade before north lakes went up in Brisbane.

I'm not against Westfields funding more or all of it, I'm against more delays on a project already 20 Years in the making, which would bring strong employment and economic benefit to a region that needs it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased a worldpass for a pensioner as well as a vip pass, I havent used them yet but I do have the email that I have to take to the gate to get my passes, I am wanting to know if I can sell them to someone else as I am no longer travelling up to the gold coast, if anyone knows if I can that would be helpful.

I have recently purchased a worldpass for a pensioner as well as a vip pass, I havent used them yet but I do have the email that I have to take to the gate to get my passes, I am wanting to know if I can sell them to someone else as I am no longer travelling up to the gold coast, if anyone knows if I can that would be helpful.

Quoting from here: https://themeparks.com.au/box-office/vip-pass/vip-pass.aspx

"Please Note: Your tickets will be emailed to you and will need to be presented at the front gate either printed or on a mobile device. A VIP Pass is not transferable once issued or redeemable for cash and cannot be used with any other offer."

No is the answer. This is why they take your photo with the passes.

Edited by AllegroCrab

Quoting from here: https://themeparks.com.au/box-office/vip-pass/vip-pass.aspx

"Please Note: Your tickets will be emailed to you and will need to be presented at the front gate either printed or on a mobile device. A VIP Pass is not transferable once issued or redeemable for cash and cannot be used with any other offer."

No is the answer. This is why they take your photo with the passes.

That's not what they asked, they haven't turned them in to passes yet. Unless the tickets have your name all of them then MW won't care.

That's not what they asked, they haven't turned them in to passes yet. Unless the tickets have your name all of them then MW won't care.

That would make sense.

I guess they have no way of policing it (without making life difficult for customers with passwords/numbers and such) so they wouldn't worry.

Disregard last message guys!

They do have you name on them. If you order online you have to fill out all your details and it gives you a barcoded ticket.

edit - actually this is for DW, not sure about VRTP

edit 2 -

vrtp_zpsc086b344.jpg

Edited by reanimated35

Yeah I think it used to be the way that you'd have to line up and fill in a form to get your pass - now that the printers are so quick, if you punch everything in when you purchase them, and just show up with id, they just take your photo, and hey presto - here is your pass.

I would suggest since the tickets haven't been redeemed, you probably would be able to make a case to transfer them, provided you had found someone who wanted them, but you'd probably need to talk to guest relations (in both parks) to get the 'approval' to do it... it wouldn't take much though - just call their call centre and explain the situaiton... they may be willing to give you a partial refund instead too.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah - Movie World isn't going to expand that far in that direction. There are still 'resident' issues to contend with, and nobody wants to walk 10 miles to get from one side of the park to the other (In that regard, SFMM needs a bulldozer)

It is however a perfect location for a new gate. Since it's becoming a precinct of sorts, potentially they could look to include some sort of accommodation option as well... theres plenty of land there...

Day at a park, dinner at AOS, sleep at the hotel... why not? Worked for Disney...

Flesh out Paradise Country as a full animal park -- do for land animals what Sea World does for marine -- add on a themed, integrated resort and build a transport system connecting the three locations. There's a lot of bushland there that they own that could be very tastefully used for a nature-based experience that would in no way affect nearby residents.

Sea World Resort has performed very strongly in recent years... they've certainly proven themselves as adept hotel operators. You'd have to think some kind of Disney-esque fully integrated holiday destination is definitely possible. Two parks on location would be a tough sell for a holiday away from the main drag of the Gold Coast, but three parks and shows, entertainment etc. would make for a very nice bundled holiday package.

It's basically exactly what Dreamworld should also do with what remains of their excess land.

Just remembered... DW is having a Star Wars weekend this Saturday and Sunday for May the 4th... There will be a large collection of characters from the Star Wars franchise , light saber duels, etc... Was wanting to head down but working this weekend... Hopefully someone here has nothing better to do and can grab some pics.

Edited by Wyncenuros

• 3 weeks later...
  • rappa locked this topic