Superman Escape effects?

GoGoBoy

^It has been pretty stable. When it débuted it came #16, and has been consistently a high ranker. Over the years the minimum number of riders to qualify in the poll has gradually risen. I did find it quite odd when people were saying Buzzsaw was the best thrill in Aus, when identical rides in the US and Europe aren't even cracking the top 100.

I had Superman Escape at #41 on my last Mitch Hawker poll, launched coasters I had ahead of it were: Dragster, Kingda Ka, Maverick, iSpeed, Blue Fire, Storm Runner, Xcelerator, Flight of Fear * 2, Lynet & Fluch von Novgorod. So it had some extremely hot competition. Making my top 50 puts SE in the top 10% of coasters I've been on, so that's pretty good. I estimate Buzzsaw would be doing well if it made my top 300, but I'll have to ride it and work that out - maybe next week.

^ Look its also a nice shiny red and blue... pity it isn't like that today! Maybe with the park sort of having a makeover and really expanding into the whole DC Comics theme maybe SE will get some love in this... mist returned, new paint job and maybe even a nicer area outside leading into the LW area, whatever that will be turned into.

^ Look its also a nice shiny red and blue... pity it isn't like that today! Maybe with the park sort of having a makeover and really expanding into the whole DC Comics theme maybe SE will get some love in this... mist returned, new paint job and maybe even a nicer area outside leading into the LW area, whatever that will be turned into.

Sadly I don't see that happening anytime soon.

That's really just 1 month per year, for a very high maintenance ride system in terms of stress and forces, not really that much IMO. You have to think that over in Europe where these things are made (and to an extent the US as well) that most parks are closed for MONTHS of the year to do this work.

yeah the mist (smoke effect) that you launch through are off - no idea why but i agree it undermines the effect.

^It has been pretty stable. When it débuted it came #16, and has been consistently a high ranker. Over the years the minimum number of riders to qualify in the poll has gradually risen. I did find it quite odd when people were saying Buzzsaw was the best thrill in Aus, when identical rides in the US and Europe aren't even cracking the top 100.

Probably because Aussies are easily impressed - personally I don't think its a "Value for Wait" ride (thrill factor & ride time vs wait time)

Especially when they're getting on in years...

This will never get old for me :P

Probably because Aussies are easily impressed - personally I don't think its a "Value for Wait" ride (thrill factor & ride time vs wait time)

I don't think easily impressed, I think quality product. What large roller coaster have the story line actually unfold as it is running, not just in the queue or a room with a TV? TPR also seemed pretty impressed with it and they travel the world riding these things. I think someone even said its what Xcelerator should have been. Its also a lot better IMO than an accelerator that goes straight, straight down and into the break run. Edited by Original

I would rather the mist effect used for Superman Escape to run its course and not be replaced once it is due for replacement to open up funding that can be allocated to Green Lantern to give it as many themeing and effects as possible for its opening and subsequent 'high profile' years of operation before a new attraction becomes the new hotness. I think when Movieworld maintenance is reviewing ride maintenance programs these would be the determining factors in replacing and continuing effects like this. Xcelerator at Knotts was okay, strong launch but terrible end... i much prefer Superman Escape, much more creative with the sir time hills after the launch. Sad to say but after travelling lots of park and coasters in the US alot of their rides are very generic, the yanks don't have the same attention to detail like we do with lots of stuff. Of course theres exceptions like Disney and Universal but our thrill parks in comparison with theirs AKA Six Flags and Cedar Fair, fair much better. Besides i think we need to be more creative because we cant just drop multi millions of dollars on massive coasters, we need to stretch the dollar further.

^ I always thought what our parks have done with their budgets has always been very clever. However, I don't believe as rides get older any theme elements that break or need replacing should just be left so you can just focus on the new rides. It leaves the place looking very tired. DW was an example of allowing older rides to do this and wasn't welcomed for this. I remember there was a time when Scooby had seen brighter days and at some point the park went back and freshened it up, it just makes sense to have the whole park looking presentable and I believe a building, attraction, show, or ride should operate in the future as to how it operates when it opens. Unless of course something is added which only makes the experience better. Six Flags took X and made it X2, all rides need constant love. With that I hope SE gets some love when the area transforms (as it appears to be doing) into the DC Universe.

Agree 100% with you. Movieworld especially is very clever with what they do and certainly maintain their attractions above and beyond any thrill type park in the US. Dreamworld i would say is on par with Six Flags and Cedar Fair, build it big and flashy and then let it waste away only focusing on the new. They do this as this is the only way to continue driving forward with captial expenditure. MW has a more conservative number of attractions but invest more both up front and on going. If i rode Superman Escape and the large effects in the dark ride section were not on i would be dissappointed, but they arent. I think Movieworld would be looking at the scale of effect something not being there would be for the overall enjoyment of the ride. I have always thought that the Superman Escape plaza would look amazing with some tall city buildings that the coaster would dart through. Maybe we will see more theming like this throughout the entire area with the potential for Lethal Weapon to also be updated with a DC Comics theme.

• 2 months later...

Went to Movieworld today (monday) and the flood scene was not working. Also, had been last week on Wednesday and the same thing, no flood. My first ride on this was on the Wednesday around 3pm and OMG it ran amazing (well it was my first time). The train seemed to carry heaps of speed through the whole run. Heaps of airtime over the hills, and it was great! Today though, was a little meh. Got the first ride of the morning, right up the back (thinking it should be even better there). Launch was still good, but it barely crawled over the tophat and even the second airtime hill was slow. Even up the back, there was almost ZERO airtime, it felt so, slow. I seriously thought we could end up rolling back for a second.

Disturboed - there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to point to the fact that the first ride or two of the day will always be touch-and-go. More roll-backs have occurred on those first few cycles than any other time during the day. Machinery, track, wheels and the cables are cold, both from not being used as frequently as later in the day, as well as not having spent time baking in the sun. The computer calculates the launch speed based on the weight of the train - but it calculates based on optimal operating temperatures. until everything is 'warmed up', you run the risk of roll-back, or a less than optimal ride experience.