Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

Could it be a ride planned for the Parking Lot, as the original Water Coaster plans were?

I don't even think its a ride. I think it's an animal exhibit.

Is the concrete jungle still there where the Water play area once was?

Which water play area? Google maps link? Edited by Gazza

I'm not sure as to where Dino Island is in the park, or it's size; but as i have said before: -Gorillas require ALOT of space. -Hippos, not as much. -Crocs, jack all space. But all in all, atleast 2 decent size "ponds" will need to be constructed, a large moat, and an even bigger set of airlocks. Also new keepers will need to be hired AND trained, and even more safety procedures put in place..... So i'm going to have to say that this won't be a very cheap attraction.....

Why would they start using fake animals in exhibits

We dont know if it's an exhibit or not so it could be like Jungle Cruise (I doubt it) I'm definitely surprised that Sea World have announced this type of attraction (whatever it may be) due to space, I would bet on it being the replacement of Dinosaur Island, obviously with new construction.

Well, as usually happens, until info comes out confirming whats going on, we speculate, tossing ideas back and forth to see what we come up with, explaining why one idea won't work, etc... In the past, our speculating has gotten us close to hitting the nail on the head... it's just usually not so far away from opening when we start because they don't announce it so far into the future...

Why would they start using fake animals in exhibits.....that would be the worst thing ever. It's not like Dinosaur island...Hippos aren't extinct, so you aren't forced to use a robot...you can get a live one just like plenty of other zoos.

Unless something else is leaving, don't they require a reasonably decent sized space? And what if it was a jungle cruise type thing?

Oh god we have no idea what the attraction even is. Why are we debating that we don't know why they are getting it or where it will fit?

Isn't that the point of these forums? To speculate and discuss possible outcomes? It's going to be pretty damn boring on here if we can only talk about things that have certain outcomes.

I think theme parks always have space. Nothing lasts forever. Who'd have expected that one day a swimming pool at the water park would be modified to hold a splash battle for instance? I think Occams Razor is true in this case. Dinosaur island was an animatronic exhibit they have rented for a year or so. That doesn't indicate them suddenly departing from live animal exhibits, which have been the backbone of the park. Yeah could be a jungle cruise type thing, but why would they build one in preference to just animal enclosures and underwater viewing areas?

Cost? They might be circulating the dino island area each year or so with something new and this might be it? In saying that though, DW have the best readily available location for a jungle cruise which I'd love to see there. Personally I don't think there is enough space in SW as it is at the moment to fit in a decent JC style ride. They could reclaim a bit more of the lake and put in a new exhibit over where the pirate ship was, or have we worked that out as being something else?

• 2 weeks later...

Secret's out on new Sea World ride boatacoaster-030113.jpg THIS is a new ride Sea World did not want you to see -- yet. The Gold Coast theme park has been given the green light by the Gold Coast City Council to build its latest thrillseeker attraction, a water-coaster, to replace the now demolished Bermuda Triangle, one of the park's original rides. But Sea World tried to keep the new attraction under wraps, refusing even to say when it would open or what it would be called. While cryptic posts on the park's Facebook page only indicate it will be a storm-themed ride, further details of the new attraction were contained in public planning documents lodged with the city council. Mack Rides, the company building it, show an artist's impression of a "Poseidon-style" ride on its website. In an interview with German business magazine InsideB, managing director of Mack Rides, Christian von Elverfeldt, revealed his company had sold a water-coaster to an Australian park, and it was scheduled to open in 2013. The revelation looks set to continue a period of relatively high investment at Australian theme parks, and will bring a style of coaster to the Gold Coast currently seen throughout America and Europe. Water-coasters use wheeled boats running on a steel track, featuring the dips and turns of a roller-coaster, before splashing down into a channel and floating like a flume ride. It is believed the ride has been in the pipeline since 2008 but planning obstacles made it a four-year process. Council approval was finally granted late in November.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/01/03/444752_gold-coast-news.html

But Sea World tried to keep the new attraction under wraps, refusing even to say when it would open or what it would be called. While cryptic posts on the park's Facebook page only indicate it will be a storm-themed ride, further details of the new attraction were contained in public planning documents lodged with the city council. Mack Rides, the company building it, show an artist's impression of a "Poseidon-style" ride on its website.

You have got to be kidding me.