Sea World Wild: What Could It Be?

the12thworld

But isn't Dino Island closing this year? Unless it's some big B&M with awesome themeing (We wish...), I don't see a replacement taking until 2015. Unless it takes that long for the sand to settle where the land reclamation has been happening...

Who knows? an extension of Dino Islands' stay is not exactly out of the ordinary. Has the attraction been popular? Seems so to me. But I also still think this could be a refurbished cinema attraction, turned into 4D(or higher!).

Could be anything, perhaps there is a construction delay with land reclamation. Or if it is animals a quarantine hold up. It's obviously something unexpected, hence the date change.

Or perhaps they just realised Storm will be immensely popular, Dino Island is still relatively new, so why not just spread things out a bit? Give VIP pass holders something to look forward to a bit further on. Could just be they planned on opening it in 2014/2015 summer and for some reason they pushed it back from November to January. Or they just decided to advertise it as opening Summer 2015(it's debut season) and the late 2014 november-december opening date hasn't actually changed at all! Edited by colliric_855

Well it is fairly common knowledge that Sea World planned to house Hippo's a few years back (but was cancelled and Ray Reef opened instead), so perhaps these plans are finally coming to fruition. Though I really don't think Sea World will be housing live Gorillas, I just don't see how they could come up with enough room to do so, and surely there would have been some media hype around it if a QLD attraction had secured gorillas.

Well it is fairly common knowledge that Sea World planned to house Hippo's a few years back (but was cancelled and Ray Reef opened instead), so perhaps these plans are finally coming to fruition. Though I really don't think Sea World will be housing live Gorillas, I just don't see how they could come up with enough room to do so, and surely there would have been some media hype around it if a QLD attraction had secured gorillas.

There would be no hype in the media if there was no announcement from SW, which at this stage there has not been.

Though I really don't think Sea World will be housing live Gorillas, I just don't see how they could come up with enough room to do so, and surely there would have been some media hype around it if a QLD attraction had secured gorillas.

They really don't need that much room-

For group housing of 5 animals:

(Chimpanzees and Gorillas)
Length of the enclosure 25 x maximum body length
Width of enclosure 10 x maximum body length
All roofed enclosures Minimum height of
roof and fence
2.4m + (2 x maximum body
length)
All enclosures Minimum height of
climbing structuresc
2.4m + (2 x maximum body
length)
For each additional animal add at least 50 x (maximum body length)2 to the floor area.
Minimum height of roofed enclosures is independent of the number of animals.
a The minimum width of an enclosure is 2.5 metres even if the formulae indicate a narrower width.
b The minimum length of an enclosure is 3.0 metres even if the formulae indicate a shorter length.
c All primate enclosures must contain at least two climbing structures with a minimum of the indicated height.
Where staff routinely enter enclosures containing primates those enclosures must contain sufficient climbing
structures for all the enclosed primates to simultaneously climb to the minimum height indicated.

And assuming they will be either Lowland:

Maximum body length(head to rump) Minimum width Minimum length Minimum height (of enclosure roofs/climbing structures)

(cms) (m) (m) (m)

Lowland Gorilla* 120 12.0 30.0 5.0

So a new survey has come out from Futureoffun.com.au today relating to a 'potential new attraction' at Sea World. I started out thinking they were referring to 'Wild' but the description given states it would only be for a limited time, so i'm not sure this would be 'Wild' but the wording kind of implies it as a replacement for Dino Island...

here is the blurb at the start of the survey...

This potential new attraction will feature indoor and outdoor displays of animatronic sea creatures from both the present day and prehistoric eras. Similar to Sea World’s current attraction, Dinosaur Island, you will be able to walk amongst these life-like creatures, watch them move and learn about their history and development. From prehistoric monsters to gigantic whales and sharks, you can see these incredible creatures come to life before your eyes in a fun, interactive and educational environment. This attraction will feature at Sea World for a limited time only and will allow you to be submersed into the deepest and darkest corners of the ocean and enter the world of the giants of the sea.

The survey continues providing pictures of current and prehistoric sea creatures and asking whether it would be of interest, and whether it would make you want to visit the park.

The survey then asks whether the attraction would make you want to visit more regularly, and states the attraction would likely be open for 1-2years (which would seem perfect with the current 'Wild' opening date change).

The survey continues, asking whether you would purchase a VIP pass to see the attraction, and then if you would be willing to pay a separate entry price to visit the attraction (and how much is thought to be an appropriate price)

It then asks what age group we think it would appeal to, before giving some possible names for the attraction, including:

Sea Creatures Alive

Giants of the Sea

Under the sea monsters

Sea Monsters Alive

Sea Monsters Revealed

Creatures of the Deep

and asking you to rank them in order of preference.

Lastly, it asks for any other comments you want to make in relation to the proposed attraction.

I got some inside information from a mate at uni that works there and he said, the attraction is not called Wild, just that Sea world is going wild, and that the name in the works at the moment is Congo Island, and the opening date has been revised back to 2015. The date has been pushed back because, the land that has been reclaimed from the lake can't be built on for about 12months after reclamation has been completed. I can say that they are in fact getting gorillas, 2 hippos, and crocodiles.

Edited by rac2703

Does he wear a dippin dots uniform? ;)

The reclaimed land story does sound feasible and would explain the change to the opening date. If that is the case though i'm astounded the park didn't expect that kind of delay right from the beginning.

All you have to do is take a look at Dubai to see what advancements the world has made in land reclaimation though...

• 3 weeks later...

It'd be salt water though - so not suitable for it to serve any purpose other than to 'look' like a jungle river.

a Salt-water Crocodile Enclosure?

True, I guess it all come down to whether or not they end up having live animals, although I suppose the salt water might affect the animatronics too?

Crocs are in the teaser pic, and Salties are the largest... I'd guess this is the Crocodile enclosure and Dino Island will be the Hippo/Gorilla section. Real animals... Edited by colliric_855

A croc exhibit of that size is unnecessarily big. Hartleys in Cairns has a lake of the same size as that area and it houses hundreds of them.

Could just be sectioned off. Perhaps an introductory cruise section(if it's a cruise), the Croc exhibit, and then a section of the Hippo exhibit?

Certainly the Croc section(even if it's anamatronic) is in this part.

Edited by colliric_855

Why's that? Because the final design hasn't been revealed and you just happen to know so much more than the rest of us?

No... As the previous user said, it's salt water.... and salt water crocs are the biggest in the world.

P.S.

If anyone saw Channel 7, Channel 9 and Channel 10 Melbourne News tonight.... Yes, that's my School Crossing they were talking about. I finished up in the morning just as the shit was about to hit the fan! Recieved the ODDEST phone call from an employer I have ever recieved in my life! "Don't turn up to the crossing this afternoon", "Why's that?"(thinking "are they finally firing me?"), "We're worried about you getting shot, there's been an incident".... WEIRDEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

Edited by colliric_855