Sea World Wild: What Could It Be?

the12thworld

Agreed AlexB. The time is very near where the parks will need to expand onto virgin territory-especially in the case of MovieWorld and Dreamworld. This will mean some involved planning and some real thought for the future as both parks decide on attractions and the direction that that each park will take over the next 5-10 years

As much as the Wild West Falls is an enjoyable ride at MovieWorld, it must have a limited life span remaining I'd have thought.

It seems to take up such a huge area of the park, with the ride space, queue and other WW area. I'd imagine if it were reconfigured they could have 3 or 4 rides in the same area.

How does it compare to the space used by JL, GL, SE and Batwing area?

I understand your point Flea regarding the size of the footprint for WWF and the fact your could probably fit 3-4 other rides in it. My point is WWF is not in a state of disrepair, as LTRR was becoming prior to the closure decision. You would be closing a ride that is still popular with all demographics. To replace it with multiple new rides would cost a heap of coin (demolition, levelling of the land & site prep would probably cost over $10m going off what SW threw out there for Storm construction), and that's before you even looks at building a ride. If they could only afford to build one ride, then you've cleared a massive amount of land which would look empty with one ride in it. Then you have to consider time - easily 12 months - of removing another family ride from the park. I don't think replacing it is a good idea, but I also don't think it's feasible either. I'd rather they spend a couple million $ and spruce up the timings and theming back to opening standards, maybe extend the dark section after the backwards drop to a haunted mine theme by enclosing some of the current outdoor track and but a new lease of life on the attraction.

Edited by Brad2912

I also agree. They would never get rid of WWF. It is one of the most popular rides and one of my favourite rides on the Gold Coast. The ride has great themeing (things could be added or changed a little, but it doesn't affect the ride experience). I do agree that there is a lot of space leading but to the ride which could feature another ride. This area could feature a main stage show as I said about in another forum.

Yeah, they are good points.

I guess it is going to be a difficult decision at some point for MW.

I do think WWF is getting very rough around the edges though.

The movie theme is very old and not even very popular in its prime, the theming throughout the ride is getting a little shabby as well as the sound issues you mentioned.

I think the ride generally has an outdated feel to it, although that does work with the theme!

It is a great ride though, I agree, let's hope it ages gracefully and is kept in good nick.

A question for all those on here that have heaps of knowledge about different ride types. Could some of the space be utilised with a high roller coaster type ride that used some of the space in the lake area? Would that be possible?

The issue with a roller-coaster in that location is the close proximity to the residential area. It is literally about 150-200m from the WWF queue house to residential streets. I think there may be some issue surrounding noise complaints etc were they to build a coaster there. WWF has sound barriers/shields on the final drop to deflect screams but you wouldn't really be able to do that on a coaster where people naturally scream the entire ride

Flea33

Posted Today, 11:25 AM

The queues are too long because they don't have enough attractions and the options for families are limited.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. I actually preferred Movie World in the late nineties as it was more of a whole day park - now it's down to half a day or two hours if you're going with family members who don't like roller coasters. It sucks that in the past you could have queued for 15 minutes and seen a show that went from 30-45 minutes as opposed to queuing for an hour and riding a coaster that goes for about two minutes.

themagician

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

I also agree. They would never get rid of WWF. It is one of the most popular rides and one of my favourite rides on the Gold Coast. The ride has great themeing (things could be added or changed a little, but it doesn't affect the ride experience). I do agree that there is a lot of space leading but to the ride which could feature another ride. This area could feature a main stage show as I said about in another forum.

If you mean build another stage show behind where Maverick was, I agree. In the mid-nineties USH had about six stage shows, five of which were worth seeing. If they could get the rights to The Lone Ranger, which made $0 in the US and did okay overseas, I feel they would be on the right mix of humour and action. It's not like a theme park has ever made a great stage show out of a dud before *cough* Waterworld *cough*.

And getting back to topic - I feel the Wild Attraction should include some element of Jungle Cruise or Singapore River Safari cruise boat ride.

I'm almost certain Jungle River Cruise is something that they're aware of.

And I didn't mean Movie World should expand (I'm almost certain GCCC won't approve any more construction as far back as WWF is), i meant they need to think about using their other land differently.

Also - WWF is not, and has not been themed to the 'Wild Wild West' movie franchise for many years. It used to be the 'Wild Wild West Adventure Ride' and now is just 'Wild West Falls'.

The big ass poster from the movie in the eatery area. That's about it. Unfortunately they couldn't afford an animatronic Will Smith to pop out at the top of the lift hill shouting 'wikee, wikee wikee, wikee wild wild west' before the drop. Come to think of it, apart from being set in the West there was zero relevance between the ride and movie in the first place...

I get the impression that if the Wild Wild West movie didn't come out at exactly the time it did, the ride would have been called 'Rio Bravo' instead. Really, nothing from the Will Smith movie made it into the ride. The preshow never mentions it, none of the themeing on the ride has anything to do with the movie. The only thing that hints at Wild Wild West is a billboard in Western Town, and the use of the song in the queue. Not exactly vital elements. As for Wild, the grapevine says it'll be a separate gate, and could take over dockside tavern and the kids rides. I hope this is untrue, and they build it in Oxenford behind Wet 'n' Wild where there is already sprawling unused land, rather than turning Sea World into a smaller park. It's pretty early days for Wild though, and given things are in flux as much as they are, it could go any direction.

As for Wild, the grapevine says it'll be a separate gate, and could take over dockside tavern and the kids rides. I hope this is untrue, and they build it in Oxenford behind Wet 'n' Wild where there is already sprawling unused land, rather than turning Sea World into a smaller park. It's pretty early days for Wild though, and given things are in flux as much as they are, it could go any direction.

Wow Joz,

You have an incredible imagination! Such wild and fanciful suggestions... ;)

As much as the Wild West Falls is an enjoyable ride at MovieWorld, it must have a limited life span remaining I'd have thought.

It seems to take up such a huge area of the park, with the ride space, queue and other WW area. I'd imagine if it were reconfigured they could have 3 or 4 rides in the same area.

How does it compare to the space used by JL, GL, SE and Batwing area?

Wild West Falls has to be my favourite ride on the Gold Coast. I understand that in the future it might come to a time where the ride is past its use-by date, but that time isn't now. It's the only ride we have that offers such a perfect family experience, especially now the Bermuda Triangle is gone. Sure, the Storm might be aimed at the same market, but that ride is monstrous. It looks much more threatening than it really is and therefore many people that fit into the 'family' market will be put off. WWF however, from the outside, is one big drop, something most parents can bring themselves to do, or convince young children to do. I don't think this is the case with the Storm.

It simply isn't feasible to remove what is one of, if not, the most popular ride at Movie World to make way for a coaster at this point in time. It is needed as a ride on the Gold Coast more than any B&M Mega Looper/Hyper Coaster/Giga Coaster I wish we could have. I agree that its footprint is massive, but that may be the very thing that makes the ride that much better than anything else on the Gold Coast, the lack of size restriction really allows the ride to be the best it can possibly be. While on the topic of WWF, does anyone on here know of any cuts to its theming since it opened?

Edited by AllegroCrab

This would be a better thing to add on to Paradise Country and make it worth visiting.

Yeah but adding it on to PC would require an associated uplift in cost. Right now PC is great for a 'touch of aussie farm life' for foreign tourists. PC would end up becoming the poor cousin to an entirely different experience, and would be lost quickly.

No - theres plenty of land around there for them to do something spectacular without encroaching on the other parks. Draw a diagram and right now the VRTP land at Oxenford has WnW, AOS, the Studios and MW in a line along the highway - then theres a big land buffer between those three, and PC, only some of which is used for pastures for AOS. Rather than tack something onto an existing park - i think the 'Separate gate' suggestion by Joz is horrible in Sea World, but has real promise out the back at Oxenford.

Whilst we've all said the GC wouldn't support another theme park that offers the same thing, Wild is something different to everything that is out there at the moment. For such a unique experience, wouldn't a separate gate be worth it (provided some provisions for passholders [even expensive ones] were made?)

Think Disney's Animal Kingdom or Singapore Zoo??? This would also add yet another element to the Oxenford Studios offering to bring more film companies to our shores...

I don't think WWF needs to go anywhere - although it would certainly benefit from a long-term refurb to refresh the theming.

Movie World could certainly expand into that land next to WWF and behind Arkham and Scooby. There are a few buildings there, but I think they are mostly maintenance and support buildings at the moment. The park definitely needs another family ride, something along the lines of, I don't know, a boat ride themed to Looney Tunes perhaps? ;)

Yeah but adding it on to PC would require an associated uplift in cost. Right now PC is great for a 'touch of aussie farm life' for foreign tourists. PC would end up becoming the poor cousin to an entirely different experience, and would be lost quickly.

No - theres plenty of land around there for them to do something spectacular without encroaching on the other parks. Draw a diagram and right now the VRTP land at Oxenford has WnW, AOS, the Studios and MW in a line along the highway - then theres a big land buffer between those three, and PC, only some of which is used for pastures for AOS. Rather than tack something onto an existing park - i think the 'Separate gate' suggestion by Joz is horrible in Sea World, but has real promise out the back at Oxenford.

Whilst we've all said the GC wouldn't support another theme park that offers the same thing, Wild is something different to everything that is out there at the moment. For such a unique experience, wouldn't a separate gate be worth it (provided some provisions for passholders [even expensive ones] were made?)

Think Disney's Animal Kingdom or Singapore Zoo??? This would also add yet another element to the Oxenford Studios offering to bring more film companies to our shores...

Well if the FoF survey was anything to go by, this could get rather interesting.