Dreamworld New Ride September 2014

Jlindsell

Forgive my language, but what the everloving fuck, people of Parkz?

When there's rumors Movieworld will get a crappy new 500ft spinning tower ride, everyone's just gushing with admiration. But when there's a possibility of Dreamworld getting a Starflyer (a really decent, fun, and quite thrilling ride which is in no way, shape or form anything like a drop ride) people are lukewarm in reaction, or even skeptical?

I'll understand you all one day.

Anyway, Starflyers are great and if one of the 45m/60m ones were put in Reef Diver's spot then that would be a fantastic addition.

The way I see it, Dreamworld's coaster lineup has a long way to go, but their flatride lineup has always been quite good. I'd love to see another good addition to it. Of course I'd love to see a good new coaster soon, but all in due time.

Edited by alex_1

A 500ft spinning tower ride off the back of a fantastic, immersive multi million dollar attraction vs a starflyer after spin 'n spew flat ride #2678. Dreamworld haven't added a decent ride in years - and no I wouldn't count Buzzsaw as one. They're long overdue a substantial investment, not fill ins that will scrape them through the Summer. MW is definitely the favourite child here but after visiting Dreamworld last month and spending $90 to walk through a park with no atmosphere and sit in unnecessarily long lines (thanks to horrible understaffing and poor operations), I can see why a lot of the hate is justified.

Ok, let's list through their new additions. Forgive me if it's out of order.

Evilution/AVPX - laser tag should be in a bowling alley not a theme park.

Pandamonium - spin 'n spew.

Shockwave - spin 'n spew.

Buzzsaw - low capacity, one trick pony ride that doesn't do the trick very well IMO. Not really rerideable. Dilapidated theming.

Motocoaster - poorly designed. Sea World managed to buy the same model with a really fun layout while still remaining family friendly. You don't see kids running off Motocoaster and joining the queue again like you do with Jet Rescue.

The Claw - spin 'n spew.

Cyclone - only purchased because it was a relative bargain. Wasn't designed for the park so ultimately it's a drawn out boring and rough Arrow next to (what was a) carpark. Don't get me started on the operations (15 min dispatches).

So IMO their last decent new ride was GD/TOT. Substantial investments that put the park on the map. Without these two rides the park is a collection of mediocre attractions. MW is still a great park even if Superman or Scooby is down for maintenance.

Ok, let's list through their new additions. Forgive me if it's out of order.

Evilution/AVPX - laser tag should be in a bowling alley not a theme park.

Pandamonium - spin 'n spew.

Shockwave - spin 'n spew.

Buzzsaw - low capacity, one trick pony ride that doesn't do the trick very well IMO. Not really rerideable. Dilapidated theming.

Motocoaster - poorly designed. Sea World managed to buy the same model with a really fun layout while still remaining family friendly. You don't see kids running off Motocoaster and joining the queue again like you do with Jet Rescue.

The Claw - spin 'n spew.

Cyclone - only purchased because it was a relative bargain. Wasn't designed for the park so ultimately it's a drawn out boring and rough Arrow next to (what was a) carpark. Don't get me started on the operations (15 min dispatches).

So IMO their last decent new ride was GD/TOT. Substantial investments that put the park on the map. Without these two rides the park is a collection of mediocre attractions. MW is still a great park even if Superman or Scooby is down for maintenance.

Even though the Buzz Saw is low capacity I think it is an enjoyable ride. I'm not a fan of the Claw because it always makes me feel sick, so I don't ride it, but it is a very popular ride and one most people enjoy. But the rest I agree with you.

Forgive my language, but what the everloving fuck, people of Parkz?

It's not even coming off the back of a multi million dollar attraction... i want to point out that Movie World's news of a new tower ride was accompanied by artist's impression imagery, a description of the ride's operation, identification of the precise location of the ride - the point being it was a serious suggestion with some effort and thought put into it that showed commitment.

So far DW's plans have no 'official' word, no artists impression, no news from the manufacturer at an IAAPA con that they were sending one to 'a park in australia', no GCCC DA.... we've got nothing but a rumor at this stage, and rumors are always treated with skepticism on these boards without a little more concrete detail - usually from the park itself.

As stated - Dreamworld has a proven track record of disappointment. What's rumored to be a great installation (WWW mark II) becomes a disappointing substitute (Wedgie). They've conditioned their fans to expect this - it's not our fault - it's theirs for continuously disappointing them.

They've only made it harder to claw their way back out of their grave and they'll need to deliver top notch, detailed, quality work to accomplish it.

THAT is the everloving fuck.

Even though the Buzz Saw is low capacity I think it is an enjoyable ride. I'm not a fan of the Claw because it always makes me feel sick, so I don't ride it, but it is a very popular ride and one most people enjoy. But the rest I agree with you.

Your question to Flea was what was their last decent NEW ride.

Buzzsaw may be enjoyable, but staying power, it has not. theres only so many times you can lie on your back for 15 seconds, before the quick adrenalin rush of a loop de loop (dont forget the whiplash) followed by half of the same thing in reverse. One trick pony it is - and it isn't decent.

The claw (although cited by flea as a spin and spew) is in fact what I would term a decent ride. Capacity wise, it holds it's own for a flat (as did Wipeout in it's hey day) and is on par or better than Batwing for that reason... I must respectfully disagree with Mr Flea on that point.

I also think he's been a little harsh on Cyclone. It may be an arrow, it may be a carpark coaster, but it is decent... it just wasn't 'NEW'.

Forgive my language......

It's not that the ride itself is bad or anything, it's that Dreamworld does not need yet another spinning ride of any kind.

and no I wouldn't count Buzzsaw as one. They're long overdue a substantial investment, not fill ins that will scrape them through the Summer.

Buzzsaw is actually pretty decent, it really needs to do 2 cycles per ride, but i'ts a pretty decent ride for what it is.

Evilution/AVPX - laser tag should be in a bowling alley not a theme park. - AGREE

Pandamonium - spin 'n spew. - AGREE

Shockwave - spin 'n spew. - DISAGREE - SURE IT SPINS AND THEY DIDN'T NEED ANOTHER SPINNING RIDE, BUT IT'S NOT REALLY "SPIN & SPEW" IMO

Buzzsaw - low capacity, one trick pony ride that doesn't do the trick very well IMO. Not really rerideable. Dilapidated theming. - DISAGREE - AS MENTIONED ABOVE

Motocoaster - poorly designed. Sea World managed to buy the same model with a really fun layout while still remaining family friendly. You don't see kids running off Motocoaster and joining the queue again like you do with Jet Rescue. - AGREE

The Claw - spin 'n spew. - AGREE

Cyclone - only purchased because it was a relative bargain. Wasn't designed for the park so ultimately it's a drawn out boring and rough Arrow next to (what was a) carpark. Don't get me started on the operations (15 min dispatches). - PARTIALLY AGREE - WHEN DO YOU GO FOR THERE TO BE 15 MINUTE DISPATCHES? IT USUALLY SEEMS TO BE 5-7 MINUTES AT MOST.

I remember the Claw being pretty well received at the time. Good ride, fairly cohesive theming.

Buzzsaw was OK for what it is...At least it only cost $6 Mil, and it is a nice little trick despite being a one trick pony.

I think the real issue is they never seem to do the big $15-$20 Million installs like the other parks do. Maybe they could if they stopped spreading their capital budget so thinly on lots of little flats that would be unlikely to drive much visitation.

A passholder would probably pop in and give Shockwave a go, but I doubt one would become one in the first place, or would decide to renew because of Shockwave.

Here's the thing though: not everything has to be a 'motivator'. A ride like shockwave is (debatably at least) a fine addition, because while it won't make or break a visit, it will make a visit just that little but better. You could make arguments about wether it's worth it or not, but I reject the argument that since it won't drive ticket sales it's better off not being in the park. Sometimes things can be added just to make the park better. I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of each attraction, (I mean who cares what I think?) but on the whole, there hasn't been an attraction for a long time that made people say 'Wow, that's awesome, I MUST go on that, and that's the problem with their investment choices.

who cares what I think?

there hasn't been an attraction for a long time that made people say 'Wow, that's awesome, I MUST go on that, and that's the problem with their investment choices.

Given your frequently hilarious take on things (TPAGG?) I'm sure we all do.

The last 'Wow, thats awesome, I MUST go on that' moment for me was Claw.

I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of each attraction

I'll do my opinion then:

Thrill Rides:

Pandamonium - You have to have a very strong stomach for it. It is good how they have the moderate version of the ride. I don't think its anything special though.
BuzzSaw - It may be short and not hold many people, but I think it's an enjoyable ride, not one I would go on over and over again.
The Tower of Terror 2 - One of my favourites at the park. A ride I would go on a couple of times if the queue wasn't long (it usually is though).
The Cyclone - Needs an upgrade. The track isn't bad, but Its just very uncomfortable and for people who are 6ft (like myself), there isn't much room for your legs.
The Giant Drop - Another favourite. Obvious really.
Wipeout - Been on it once and didn't feel to good after so I can't provide my opinion really. Except I felt like I was always going to fly out of my seat.
The Claw - Spin and Spew. Good capacity though.
Motocoaster - Shouldn't be in this list. Uncomfortable. Kids to like it, but i don't see many want to ride it again.
Family rides:
Shockwave - It may not be very comfortable but its an enjoyable family ride. Spin and Spew after a few rides.
Rocky Hollow Log Ride - Old and needs upgrading or something. It has pointless thumbing (dinosaur/rhino (i don't know) and mushrooms). The part where you get on the boat needs a shade sale or something. AND ALL THAT CHEWING GUM ON ONE OF THE WOODEN BUILDING. JUST CLEAN IT. It doesn't take much. (Honestly the ride could just be ripped out and a new log ride could be put in its place. But they probably wont do that. good way to cool down though.
Thunder River Rapids Ride - Popular and can get quite wet, which is good. I wish they would get ride of the photo part at the start of the ride. Just put two camera (one on each side) half way around the ride. Only tourists want to wait and get there photo taken. They should also upgrade the theming in the cave.
Reef Diver - What the original forum was about. I think its another spew and spin ride. It's old and should be replaced. They have got the room from the old octopus ride as well.
Avis Vintage Cars - In its old location it was better and more popular. The new location just needs some theming. Tunnel, bridge, river to cross over, etc.
Kids Rides:
Wiggles World: I think its still popular and a great area for younger kids. Well themed. I think maybe another ride would be good.
Dreamworks: All the areas are very well themed and contain a range of rides for a range of ages.
Other:
Evilution - I haven't been since it opened so I can't comment on it.
Flowride - Good fun
Redline - What I've heard its not worth doing. It needs an upgrade and should be moved to near mdmc. It has no point of being in the ocean parade.

Has anyone thought to look through the GCCC meeting notes about permits. DW requires all rides to be given the ok from council due to the school and also a local height restriction (they needed special permits to build a lot of the taller rides in the park).

Just a thought...

Not true. BuzzSaw just had a standard building approval. I believe Dreamworld still has it own local area plan which was created when Dreamworld was part of the Albert shire.

AS.5.9

Buildings or structures associated with the Theme Park

which exceed 20 metres in height are setback from all

property boundaries 6 metres plus 1 metre for every 2

metres of building or structure height in excess of 20

metres.

The building or structure is in Precinct 8 within 20

metres of Beattie Road and the maximum building or

structure height does not exceed 8.5 metres.

Edited by skeetafly

Last time the park added a noteworthy attraction on the world stage was the claw. That was nearly ten years ago now. I still scratch my head about shockwave, you're essentially putting a ride next to another ride which have same same different ride experiences. Riiiight.

its in the best place i think. because it is a longish ride it probably would look out of place anywhere else in ocean parade. it is hidden away enough so that it doesn't look out of place, but can still be seen when not right next to it.

A wild idea - and probably something best held for another thread - but here's a wacky concept - Ardent drives DW further downhill - eventually gets it to a point where they've poisoned everyone against it - revenue is down, and the park is making a loss....

...does VRTP make an offer to buy? Why? Why not?