Dreamworld Steam Train

Inverted

It's good to see someone cares enough to say "hey, this thing is broken, we aren't scheduled to run the Baldwin today, or tomorrow, but hey, let's do it because steam is better in general but also better than nothing".

Its promising signs from a park that not long ago was happy to strip as much authenticity as possible from the place.

11 hours ago, pin142 said:

If you are wanting to take a steam train ride outside the first Saturday of month word is tomorrow will be a good day to do it. 

It is reported that the diesel has failed with starter motor problems and the Baldwin will be operating in its place.  Duration is unknown - maybe a couple of days.  But you just never know the outcome - if management gets positive feedback, the Baldwin may operate more frequently.  The change of heart in management is quite noticeable in making the effort not to cancel the train service, compared with 2011/2012 when the train ride was cut back.

Yes, the train ride is a most important feature on Dreamworld.

Although a century old, the Baldwin is not a delicate thing and does not need molly-coddling, and will continue to give good service for another century. Much to the delight of park patrons and steam afficionados.

42 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I thought the whole purpose of them moving to diesel was so any old ride operator could drive it, thereby eliminating the need to pay a very expensive qualified engineer...?

Steam driver on a days off their other job or on holidays perhaps?

Takes a few hours to get a loco warmed up, with a days warning not that hard to do.

My only guess would be that one of the regular diesel drivers is also experienced in operating the steam engine, and they got lucky that said driver happened to be working yesterday. They may have then rejigged his roster to have him onboard for x amount of days until the diesel is ready again 

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I know with a days warning they can - my question goes to the day the diesel broke down, and how they got the steamer fired up so quickly - Surely the engineer isn't on site every day...?

I know one drivers name, but not sure on his employment. 

http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_model/ngdu/03_dreamworld.pdf

Google found this on its history. 

Edited by red dragin
Tidied up link

Maybe it broke down the day before, or the problem was found in morning checks, so they called the engineer in, and he got there early enough for the attraction to open on time.  

Remember, both Dreamworld and the engineer now have telephones, so even if he wasn't on site, it's plausible that they asked him to come in.

My understanding was that the diesel had been operating that day and broke down at main street station during operations, not during morning checks. If i'm wrong then fair enough - my logic was that it'd take time to:

1. try and fix DW X
  2. realise you won't get it done quickly
  3. call the engineer in
  4. perform boiler inspection and pre-start checks
  5. fire it up
  6. shunt DW X off the track and park it
  7. bring out the steamer.

If i'm wrong, then its obviously no issue (and it isn't if i'm right anyway i'm just curious) but from what i'd heard, the diesel WAS operating during park hours, and then broke down... if thats the case, the 7 dot points above would likely have happened, which is a lot of effort for the park to go to at short notice

Mostly right Alexb.

From what I understand following the thread was that the Diesel failed on Monday and was deemed it wouldn't be back up by the following day. Not sure on the time of day.

Steam engine commenced operation on Tuesday, the following operating day post the diese failure.

Thats how I see it anyway.

20 hours ago, AlexB said:

I thought the whole purpose of them moving to diesel was so any old ride operator could drive it, thereby eliminating the need to pay a very expensive qualified engineer...?

Over the years there were many qualified steam drivers at Dreamworld, but now only one remains.  He drives the diesel full-time, while other trained operators drive it on his days off and during his lunch breaks. 

Contrary to some opinion, the steam driver does not earn more than the other park operators - so he is not "expensive".

It would be that the steam-qualified driver was driving the diesel the day it broke down so was available immediately to light the Baldwin at a moment's notice.  His roster has him the driver 5 days a week.  No need to worry about telephone calls.   It would take two hours to prep the engine and raise steam, so there would be no great delay to the operating schedule. No big deal.  At least it gives the driver something to do instead of sitting around doing nothing for the duration.

How long will the steam operation last while the diesel is being repaired?  Not known.

I would have thought, given a steam engineer needs suitable experience and qualifications, and a dreamworld ride operator main requirements are breathing and over 18 would mean the engineer would receive some form of 'skilled' pay increase.

Sure, I guess when he's driving the diesel it doesn't matter - but on days he operates the steamer, he should be remunerated for the extra care, skill, and let's face it - risk - undertaken by the operator.

So in conclusion - either the steam engineer was already on site operating DW X at the time, or the Baldwin didn't enter service until the following day. Either way that answers my questions.

18 hours ago, red dragin said:

http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_model/ngdu/03_dreamworld.pdf

Google found this on its history. 

For anyone interested in a photo of the engine before it was rebuilt for Dreamworld service have a look at this site.  There is also a very nice scale drawing of it and a short history.

On 27 January 2016 at 10:32 AM, AlexB said:

Comments on DW's facebook page this morning (from Dreamworld) suggested they were happy to see the steamer back, but that 'it takes her a lot longer to get going these days due to her age' - so i think we'll only see her out for special events.

It would however be nice to see them commission a new loco altogether, one that will last for many years to come.

It still take the same amount of time to get the steam engine going as it has done over the years, the wording of talking longer as it is get older is just spin and nonsense. 

Edited by WorldFun
missed a word.

10 hours ago, WorldFun said:

It still take the same amount of time to get the steam engine going as it has done over the years, the wording of talking longer as it is get older is just spin and nonsense. 

You are perfectly correct, WorldFun in stating that the steam engine will not take longer to prepare for a day's run because it is old.  Does my 50 year old car take longer to start than your one year old car??  Certainly not.  No matter how old or new the engine is, it will take the same time to prepare.  A lot of "smoke and mirrors" and red herrings are put forth by individuals who do not have a clue about the facts, or are trying to invent some impediment.  Dreamworld allows the driver 2 hours to prep the steam engine of a morning - oiling, greasing, lighting the fire, refueling, raising steam.  A brand-new steam engine would take the same time.  So, any suggestion that the steam engine takes longer to get ready because of age is pure nonsense.

On 24 February 2016 at 7:46 AM, AlexB said:

I would have thought, given a steam engineer needs suitable experience and qualifications, and a dreamworld ride operator main requirements are breathing and over 18 would mean the engineer would receive some form of 'skilled' pay increase.

Sure, I guess when he's driving the diesel it doesn't matter - but on days he operates the steamer, he should be remunerated for the extra care, skill, and let's face it - risk - undertaken by the operator.

So in conclusion - either the steam engineer was already on site operating DW X at the time, or the Baldwin didn't enter service until the following day. Either way that answers my questions.

Furthering this chain of thought, presuming the primary reason they tried to replace steam completely with a diesel alternative was because of ongoing fuel costs (granted there's other costs like staff, boiler servicing etc.), is there a possibility of a way or a group that'd be interested in doing any conversions or updates needed to the current Steam engine to bring it into an eco/cost friendly 2016?

Basically, say Dreamworld were reading this and the brief was "we can't afford to keep doing what we were doing because the fuel cost was hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, what else can we do to keep steam going?" what would you recommend?

On 24/2/2016 at 3:11 PM, Slick said:

Just because they drive a steam train doesn't necessarily mean their way of communication is also from the same period:

pkyiF.jpg

That looks like the theming from inside Giant Drop when it first opened.. :P

Every time I ride the train/see videos such as T-bone's I long for Dreamworld to expand into Blue Lagoon/Big Brother and add another station on the line.