What is your favourite and worst ride of all time?

Favourites:

SE - Best coaster in the country

WWF - Just a great ride. The surprise backwards drop, the theming, the 20m drop at the end. I ride it as many times as I ride SE every time I'm at MW. It turned me from a coaster fanboy to someone who appreciates 

The Claw - It's a thrilling ride, yet it's really relaxing in a way that's hard to describe. I don't get that feeling like I do on something like buzzsaw where I'm forced to grab onto my restraint for dear life.

Pleasantly surprised:

Jet Rescue: after riding Mick Doohan I had low expectations of this one. After watching it a few times I was happy with how fast it seemed off ride, and certainly after riding it I was happy

Storm Coaster: Again, didn't look much into this ride on here before riding it, and was surprised by the theming inside the building, but also outside. Also, the ride was fun as well, very well designed ride layout and it's no surprise they're successful around the world.

Mildly disappointed:

Justice League - I don't think I fit the target demographic for this ride at all. I got off it and wondered why I waited 30 minutes in line to ride it when I could have just ridden WWF twice in a row.

Cyclone - I remember loving this ride when i was 11 or so, but I went back a few years later and it was nothing like I remembered. I still give it a ride every time I go up because I need my coaster fix, but in general it's just a pretty bad layout. The drop could be steeper. The inversions are worth giving it a ride though.

Just WTF

MDMC

Favourites:

• Hulk, Islands of Adventure Orlando (Hence my Avatar)
  • Revenge of the Mummy, Universal Orlando
  • Jaws, Universal Orlando (when everyone plays along)
  • Space Mountain 2, Disneyland Paris
  • Indiana Jones et le Tempe du Péril, Disneyland Paris
  • Rock n' Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith, Disney Studios Paris
  • Giant Drop, Dreamworld
  • Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, Movieworld (theming!)
  • Wild West Falls, Movieworld (theming!)

Can't wait to go back to the states in 2018-9, Six Flags &/or Knotts as well as my usual, Kennedy for human space launches.

Edited by Glubbo

No, it's actually a bad ride.  In every way a ride can be a bad ride, MDMC is.  There are 2 things going for it, they are 

1. The side cars.

2. The way loose articles are accommodated on a ride with seperate load and unload stations.

That's the plus side, on the downside you have a slow moving queue, partly brought about by poor station design and partly by awful restraints, managing somehow to be unintuitive, uncomfortable, overly restrictive, unaccomodating, and a manual handling hazard for staff.

The layout of the ride is poor.  A lot of rides try to increase the sensation of speed by getting lower to the ground and having more intricate manoeuvres as the ride goes on.  MDMC seems to get higher off the ground, so even with tighter turns it just has no speed to thrill you with in it's latter stages.  What is its target market?  Thrill seekers?  Dreamworld say so, but launch and first turn aside, it just isn't thrilling.  A family coaster?  The height requirement is 130cm, one of the tallest in the park, which stops a lot of small kids from riding.  It's clearly meant to be a thrill ride, it just didn't work out.  The side cars somewhat negate this, but they aren't what the meat of the ride is supposed to be.  

Maybe it just fits into its surrounds so much that it adds to the ambience of the park?  Not even.  The coaster itself is largely hidden from view so it adds little Kinetic energy to the park, the themeing is at odds with the area it's in, and it takes up a massive amount of prime real estate with its spread out layout.  

Seriously, in every way that a ride can be a failure, MDMC manages to do it.  That's why it's listed as people's least favourite.

Edited by joz

49 minutes ago, joz said:

That's why it's listed as people's least favourite.

I can't fault your analysis. You're right.

I don't think those points are the primary reasons (other than lack of thrill) why it's listed as people's least favourite, but either way, valid points all round.

Edit: I realised this might trigger further discussion, so to clarify:

When I say I don't think those points are primary reasons - i mean nobody is sitting there ranking it low because of poor queueing... Otherwise there are many others that qualify. I also don't think people are ranking it poorly because it's a manual handling issue for staff.

Primarily I see it's poor ranking a result of the ride simply not living up to the marketing hype.

but yes. it IS a bad ride.

Edited by AlexB

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:58 PM, OceanGirl said:

I find it mildly amusing that MDMC has managed to make nearly every single least favourite ride list posted in this topic lol... not surprised, but amused nonetheless. Poor Dreamworld must be kicking themselves over that costly unpopular investment!

Every theme park makes a bad choice one day or another this was one of DWs. Moving the Vintage Cars and replacing with Motocoaster maybe if the Motocoaster had more theming to it and had TLC done to it, it maybe more exciting.  

On 3/14/2016 at 7:52 AM, AlexB said:

That's just it though - how many people said Road Runner was their favourite? How many people said the spongebob coaster was their favourite? What about reptar\escape?

The ride isn't a bad ride - it's just not a thrill ride. Dreamworld's only problem was marketing it as such.

But Road Runner and Spongebob don't shatter my knee-caps (well, spongebob might since I've never ridden it, but RR didn't years ago when I rode it).

2 hours ago, RabbitohsFan1 said:

do you guys think Dreamworld could fix the motocoaster? (without removing it)

Yes, it could easily be fixed by getting rid of the current train and replacing it, then getting rid of the current track and replacing that. Then getting rid of the current theming and giving it a re-theme.

It would certainly make it better.  I think short of getting MACK to put spinning cars on it, it won't really make it work as a thrill ride, but a normal coaster train would at least  turn it into a relatively thrilling family coaster.  Maybe if the VR thing works it'd be a good coaster to try it on.  For my taste, I'd rather see the area given over to a new themed land.

See the problem is that the kids area next to it is a little too young to incorporate it into that, and I doubt they could safely reduce the launch speed and still make the circuit. Assuming:

> No new rides in the area
> You can only change the train (other than theming/paint etc)
> NO changes to the track
> NO removal of the ride

What would you theme it to so it fits into the area/new area, and if you suggest a new area, what would the theme be and what would the area encompass? 

12 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Was just thinking could they not retheme the MDMC, change to a traditional Coaster train, take some of the speed out of the launch and make it a kids/family coaster as part of ABC4Kids world? Would be a step below EFM but more intense than the new kids coaster at SW

The problem with that is that it crawls back to the station as it is now. Much slower and it wont make it back at all. 

1 hour ago, reanimated35 said:

The problem with that is that it crawls back to the station as it is now. Much slower and it wont make it back at all. 

Yeah thought of that, maybe a slight track change? I've always thought being quite an elevated ride that it could use a few more dips. In the end anything involving a track change would likely make it cost prohibitive 

You could theoretically slow the launch down, and install a kicker wheel at a strategic point in the track - just as Jet Rescue has a second launch...

If we're trying to make it more family friendly - then more sidecars, less motorbikes.

Hell - make it all sidecars. then theme it to a luge, or paint them brown and call it kangaroo poo express. At least it would suit the environment around it...