Wet 'n' Wild Buggy

themagician

On 07/01/2017 at 9:10 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

So if the average speed of a buggy on this 1.2km track is 18km/h (half of 35km/h rounded up), you would be looking at doing 15 laps in 1 hour or 1 lap in 4 minutes. I know the obstacles might make that average speed even slower but if an 18km/h average speed was the case, I don't think the current in-park prices are good value for money:

The online booking prices seem much more value for money if that average speed was the case - about $45 for a 1 hour session (15 laps/$3 per lap) or about $64 for a 2 hour session (30 laps/about $2.15 per lap).

@themagician, given you've experienced Wet 'n' Wild Buggy, is 1 lap in 4 minutes about right or is it longer due to a slower average speed?

I haven't read the website in any detail, but i'm thinking like most of the other 'experiences' offered at our parks that '1 hour' includes things like safety briefing videos, checkin times etc. does it say 1 hour of track time? does it say how many laps you'll actually do in that time?

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

I haven't read the website in any detail, but i'm thinking like most of the other 'experiences' offered at our parks that '1 hour' includes things like safety briefing videos, checkin times etc. does it say 1 hour of track time? does it say how many laps you'll actually do in that time?

I would think that would be one thing they couldn't tell you. Unless they said "approximately X laps" because what if you get stuck on a section and it takes more time than anticipated? Then you've got certain people who would bitch endlessly to get free return rides. 

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

It doesn't say on the website how many laps you do in 1 hour (hence why I calculated an approximate) but this is the quote in the terms & conditions on the upcharge attraction's webpage that I based the session lengths on:

Session Lengths

Session lengths are an indication only of the time you will be driving on the track. Allow up to 60 minutes to complete the session and a longer period if you are in a larger group.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

indication only - meaning if it takes your group 10 minutes to get their shit together - you only get 50 minutes on track. arrive late too? even less... and of course they'll probably pull you a few minutes early so they can refuel and have everything reset and reorganised before the next group too, so call it a guaranteed 30 minutes for an "hour session" and count anything more than that as a bonus...

2 minutes ago, AlexB said:

indication only - meaning if it takes your group 10 minutes to get their shit together - you only get 50 minutes on track. arrive late too? even less... and of course they'll probably pull you a few minutes early so they can refuel and have everything reset and reorganised before the next group too, so call it a guaranteed 30 minutes for an "hour session" and count anything more than that as a bonus...

Well they could do what the go-kart places do. You book 1 hour of "track time" and the whole "session" takes around 1hr 15mins if you've never done it before. The way their wording is however, you seem to be on the money with the 30-40 mins "track time" estimate. 

@AlexB, it was an approximation like I said & was based on Wet 'n' Wild's exact wording. Other than the 're-fuelling/setting' reason, it doesn't need to take into account things that are not in the control of Wet 'n' Wild such as un-coordinated/late arriving groups. If you paid $55 to participate & decide to not turn up on time or be focused, their fault.  If it is realistically 30 minutes like you say, that would be $6.45 per lap (7 laps in total) - not as good value as a full hour but still way better valued than the in-park prices.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

It's not just cashed up bogans that will use this though. Many families will see it as a treat whilst on holiday. Their moto-x riding son or 4WD loving kids (my niece and nephews absolutely LOVE 4wding). I can see a family with a boy and a girl - the girl books the dolphin encounter and the boy goes dirt buggying... why not?

http://wetnwild.com.au/attractions/rides/wetnwild-buggy.aspx

Licensed Drivers can drive on their own with the safety of an instructor to assist with navigation of hardcore obstacles and getting the most enjoyment out of the experience.

Non-licensed Drivers are accompanied with an instructor in a dual control-buggy to assist in turning, breaking and acceleration to guide them through our Wet'n'Wild Buggy track.

So, yes - everyone has an instructor, and everyone gets to drive, but unlicensed drivers drive in a dual control buggy.

that's my interpretation. I can see how @themagician took "by yourself" from the phrase above "on their own" - but they do still have an instructor with them.

The unlicensed folks still get to 'drive' though, by my read.

Was at the park this morning, and there were quite a few people booking for the Buggy as well as having a go on them. When at the top of the kamikaze tower you can see quite a bit more of the track, and did see someone go a bit faster than what I've seen before and they do pick up speed pretty quickly and get some decent air over the jumps.

7 hours ago, themagician said:

... now have the option to pay per lap...

Not exactly 'an option' -  you can only pay per lap - not pay per lap or per 'hourly' session as before.

7 hours ago, themagician said:

You can do either 2,3 or 4. With prices being $39, $49 and $59 (doesn't matter whether it's licensed or not)

Are the in-park prices (below) different to the online prices above?

On 06/01/2017 at 0:28 AM, themagician said:

...at the park you can also choose how many laps you do. $29 for 1 lap, $49 for 2 laps or $69 for 4 laps.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan