Tiger Island - Valentines Day 2017

themagician

48 minutes ago, Slick said:

We're comparing cheesy bread, buffets and Coffee Club food (i.e. poached eggs that come in pre-made pouches) against:

Entrees

Antipasto and seafood plater for two: prawns, oysters, Moreton-Bay bugs, smoked Salmon, prosciutto, salami, chorizo, pickled vegetables and assorted artisan breads. 

Mains
Roasted beef tenderloin, potato rosti, wilted baby spinach, carrot puree and horseradish jus
or
Baked Atlantic salmon, wild rice, bok-choy, roasted cauliflower and lemon butter sauce. 

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but I think the comparison of Maccas vs. fine dining is happening here, no?

I wouldn't do it, not because the experience doesn't appeal to me, but because the meals appeal to neither me nor my wife.  Seafood?  Yawn, pass.  As for $175/head - I'd expect to pay around $100 for meals + beverages like that, so the $75 is the experience I'd guess.

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

i would never, and have never, spend $350 on a Meal for two. My budget doesn't run that way unfortunately. Especially when you could go to somewhere like Bazaar at QT for half that price (excluding drinks of course). I'm thankful my missus is a Hogs Breath kinda girl! 

2x Dinner in Bazaar $160

Bottle of wine $70

2x Pre Dinner Cocktails $40

Tip $30

Already $300 right there for a prettt standard dinner at QT. So even by those standards it's like $25 for the tiger component. 

Make that a fine dining restaurant and you're easily up to and past the $350 mark with 3 courses and drinks and a substantially higher tip. 

Slick is pretty on the money here 

I wasn't comparing the quality of what is on offer at the Tiger Dinner to Sizzler or Hogs. 

Bazaar I would consider at the very top end of buffet (at least on the GC/Bris), so I would use that in a comparative sense. My partner and I are not wine drinkers so we'd save the dosh on bottle of wine, and I wouldn't tip someone $30 at a buffet.

as I said originally, I can see the value in the DW offering, just not personally to me 

9 minutes ago, downunder said:

^I am joking, in case that wasn't extremely obvious. I've never been to Bali and wouldn't go if you paid me.

I don't think animal cruelty would be a good episode to add to Dw's recent troubles.

Good news! I too, am joking. ;)

1 minute ago, mission said:

If only Pizza Hut 'all you can eat' was still available. The Valentines destination of choice!

Your wish is my command.

Now now Slick - there is more than one destination of choice for valentines day....

they also have locations in Toowoomba and Kirra Beach for total-southeast-valentines coverage!

https://www.pizzahut.com.au/dine-in-stores

(and gympie if you're really going the extra mile!)

• 4 weeks later...

That looks really awkward - I mean how would you feel if you were the people up on the top step - vs. the people who literally have a front row seat?

i think, it would be different in my eyes if there were tables tiered all the way up - but for the upward seating pit to be such a large gap between one row of tables and the other, it just makes the rear seats seem so much less valuable.

I know it'd be hard to do with the seating the way that it is, but it wouldn't take much to design a 'front facing' seating on the grandstand - kind of the way they do it at AOS - not every row - maybe every second - slot some specially designed tables into some sort of mount designed for the purpose and you really increase your capacity for 'dinner and a show' in the venue (obviously, front facing seating probably isn't suited to Valentine's Day - but for other events that are more about the tigers \ show, and less about the 'staring into each other's eyes' bit - it would totally work)

Does look like it was a good night though.

Strange all the photos they uploaded from Facebook (at least the ones of the venue) were all at some weird, small resolution.

Looked like a really lovely night. Touching on what @AlexB said, having had the odd beer or two at the top of the arena overlooking Tiger Island, I can pretty safely say as far as views go it's as good as the bottom level view in its own way. In short, you have an unrestricted view of the entire island vs. a close-up chunk of a specific bit.

I totally get that the new set up maximises viewing for everyone @Slick and I don't doubt that the view up top is fantastic - it's the division between the two. 'grass is always greener' perspective - but taking your view on it - reverse what i said previously - how would you feel if you were stuck against the fence in the corner, and didn't have the wide sweeping breathtaking view that those up top got?

the separation gives the appearance that one is better than the other. if there were somehow tables going from ground floor all the way up the pit to the top, it wouldn't have that appearance. that's all.

Having been to Tiger Island quite a few times now since its reopening, there are definitely 'better' spots for views (especially for photography), but generally just sitting or walking, you get a view of the whole island from nearly everywhere. But I will admit when I first saw those images, did find it a bit strange that they did seperate the people, especially as the majority of them are at the bottom. But the people at the top do still get a good view, just not as close up for pictures taken on your phone.

Does look really well dressed with the lantern and candles throughout the tables and stadium, and good to see they didn't go for tacky chairs or tables.